[drivingpairs] Adam and Ansel

  • From: "Helen G. Roeder" <sunshinefarm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Pairs List" <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 15:05:21 -0500

Carla,

I'm certainly not a dressage queen!   Just a queen...<LOL>

I live in cutting and reining horse country and see so much of those tie-downs
on these very young horses.   By mechanical, I mean tying down the head like so
many of the breed shows condone.   I call over and side checks mechanical. (no
flame throwing, please)   If the horse can't tell you with his body language
something is amiss, then how can you possibly know and correct it.

In my opinion, it's give and take, with you always the alpha.  Horses are very
smart and intuitive.   They can learn by other means than force.   Tying their
head down is forcing the horse.   Maybe the bit is pinching, or maybe his neck
is sore from being kept in prolonged collection or as I've seen around here,
hurting from having his head tied for  to the saddle horn, for an hour or so,
so he'll 'learn to bend'.

That's what I call mechanical.   I've seen it done over and over by some of
these big arse training farms around here.

Maybe you DO need another lunk, if that's what you'd rather have.   Personally,
I love my lunks, too.

Helen

Helen G. Roeder