[drivingpairs] 4-up lines & buckback strap

  • From: Hzlax@xxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 14:25:19 EDT

In a message dated 5/16/2006 12:34:39 AM Pacific Standard Time,
ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> I was wondering if anyone knew why traditionally the outside lines on the
> leaders of 4-up draft horses go on the inside of the wheelers and the outside
> lines on the leaders of pleasure horses go to the outside. Is it simply
> because the drafts are bigger so the spread would be too great? Or, is there
> another reason?

On carriage horse four-in-hands  leader lines go on the outside of the
wheelers heads to assure that leaders come out of draft in a turn, as you take
a big
enough loop on the inside leader line, the leaders turn, and with turning the
outside leader line then needs to travel all the way around the outside
wheelers head, thus has a much longer distance, and with that both leaders come
back automatically and get out of draft.

In contrast, draft horse hitch drivers prefer to run their leader lines
inside on the inside of wheelers' heads, as that way the lines have less chance
of
getting caught on anything on the outside, which could tangle them up and give
the leaders wrong commands. Further: They drive differently, they don't carry
a whip in hand, so always have the reins in both hands, contrary to Achenback
or British Coachman style carriage horse driving with all the reins in the
left hand.  Draft hitch drivers do not take similarly large loops on the inside
leader rein, which then, with the leader reins running inside, they don't need
to. Draft horses are not necessarily driven "on the bit" as carriage horse,
but are also driven much more with voice commands. So it's all a different ball
game there.

So as usual, both systems have their merits, both are only different
applications for different purposes and with different horses.

I think the same principle also applies to Carla's question about the
buck-back strap. That also comes from the draft horse world and from big
hitches,
where you couldn't even attempt to drive every slacker forward with the whip.
Just imagine trying to do that in a big combine hitch with up to 40 drafters in
the hitch, whereas even in larger carriage teams, good carriage horses were
expected to go forward and onto the bit!  So since Carla is working with two
draft horses there, I'd say, sure, go ahead try it out, and let us know.

With light carriage horses, however, I wouldn't do it. There the traditional
wisdom is to drive the lazy horse forward with the whip, plus give him one or
two more holes in the reins - which automatically brings the eager one back
those one or two holes in the reins. Again, carriage horse are expected to go
on
the bit - and have the temperament and eagerness for it. Drafthorses are
supposed to have the temperament and eagerness for pulling the load, not for
going
on the bit (although I udnerstand that with modern draft horse show ring
hitches that idea is sometimes changing)

I think it is important that we keep in mind what we are doing and in which
scenario we are, and are not mixing them up. Draft hitches is one thing,
carriage horses is another. Equipments and methods have their place in each and
while some can be used in both, often can't be easily interchanged.
Happy and dafe driving in whichever of the two worlds you are
Hardy