[drivingpairs] 3 abreast

  • From: "David McWethy" <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 00:48:12 -0500

>Dave, I was looking at your website, and noticed your fiords being driven
three abreast.  How do you arrange the lines for this type of driving.  Do
you just >have lines to the outside horses?  Also how do you hitch them up?
Is there a special type of yoke pole that you use?  I have seen a 3 horse
evener for the >singletrees, but I've never seen a yoke pole for more than 2
across.
>Suzy Temple

Hmmm, should I really tell how I arranged the lines for three?  I mean, it
took me 1000 miles to figure it out.  Oh well.  Once I had it figured out, I
used pair lines.  One went to left side of left horse.  One went to each
side of center horse, and one to right side of right horse.  From the inside
bits of outside horses, I used bungees, which attached back to the collar of
the center horse.  The beauty of it is when you want to stop the horses, the
center horse helps to stop the outer ones.  It works fantastically well.  Is
this all clear?

I had an offset pole, between the center and left horse, which centered the
center horse to the wagon.  The right side horse was attached to the pole
end with a long pole strap (a doubled cow collar).  I used a triple tree.

I wouldn't have used this hitch except I needed the power of all three to
pull the brutal hills of PA and the continental divide in Montana. It worked
well, but it is a better solution overall to have a lighter wagon.

Camptown Dave