[drivingpairs] 2 Questions/Traces & rein rings /lines and stuff

  • From: Bearcove1@xxxxxxx
  • To: drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 16:50:21 EDT

Hi all,
The two books I've been studying are the German Fed. Driving - book 5 and Max
Pape.

1st question: About Traces --  page 34 in the German Driving book - last
paragraph - it says the outside trace should be 2cm longer than the
inside...due
to the horse being wider in the back than the front.       I just can't see how
the single tree will stay straight then or why it won't pull the breast
collar unevevly. Max Pape says the same thing on page126 with pictures on page
118....the square end on the inside / shorter trace....CAN SOMEONE RE-WORD  SO
MAYBE I CAN PICTURE IN MY MIND HOW THIS IS A GOOD IDEA?

For Bev, leaning against the pole, the German book seemed to think it was the
road conditions  and Max Pape agrees mainly but says to shorten the inside
reins and drive without the brake to make them try to lean out. --- page 77 in
Max Pape.

I don't understand a lot of what I am reading but at least I am finally
getting to the point of knowing some of what I don't know...if that makes any
sense.

Progress for me and the ponies (Haflingers). They are healed and back to work
after the pitt bll dog attach. They will now both lead from my 4 wheeler or
golf cart with a little wagon on behind now - so I can haul a bunch of stuff to
or from the barn or truck and lead them at the same time.

I messed up yesterday being lazy - tried to drive them as a pair with just
bridles - no harness /  rein rings - and got tangled and the reins stepped on -
now have to put them back together. Luckily they didn't break just pulled
apart and lost two keepers. Which leads to QUESTION 2: The books say not to use
the rein rings on the inside of the neck straps....just the outside and both
saddle rings....yet the pictures/ drawings show using all rings. SO WHAT IS THE
RIGHT WAY?

Still being lazy and still wanting to ground drive as a pair - I acted like a
dumb kid again and put single reins to the outside on just their halters with
a rope that could slip off if pulled hard between the two on their halters.
The moved off evenly and ground drove really well like they really liked it-
and matched stride for stride -straight and with level heads.  The younger is
teething still so maybe I will continue with just the halters in the indoor
arena.  He dosen't fight the bit or shake his head but just seemed happier.
They
also seemed to obey the voice commands better - even the stand after the whoa.
It did seem more like a game with everything just "rigged" and maybe they
just read my mood. It was fun:)

Sincerely,

Lyn in Indy