[donspatch] #49

  • From: "Don Guitar" <don@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Don's Patch" <donspatch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2006 00:23:03 -0500

Don's Patch #49 from http://www.don-guitar.com  July 1, 2006

First word, from Don:

If you made a donation via PayPal and received a "funds unclaimed"
message, please cancel the transaction so you can get your money
back.  When I changed my registered email address with PayPal
I wasn't aware that I also needed to change the "Make a Donation"
button on the web site.  A local reader who knew I'd changed ISPs
pointed out the error and I changed the button on the afternoon of
the 16th.

Nine of you made donations totaling $65 (US).  Our sincere thanks
to Lee, Fred, Peter, Vinette, Julian, Jon, George, John and the
Heislers.

So that's out of the way for another year.  Let's get on with the first
issue of this publication's third year.

Don

Don's feedback form:  http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html
Lisa's feedback form:  http://www.don-guitar.com/lfefo.html

Our personal news page.
http://www.don-guitar.com/babbleon.html

Don at myspace.com http://www.myspace.com/donguitar
Don's blog.  http://blog.myspace.com/donguitar

Lisa at myspace.com.  http://www.myspace.com/81825549
Lisa's blog.  http://blog.myspace.com/81825549

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

I can't decide if this site represents, for blogging, the conclusion of
the digestive tract or a harbinger of the future.
http://daveibsen.typepad.com/

Some fun for kids aged 8 to 10 years.
http://www.beaconlearningcenter.com/WebLessons/

Robert Broughton's blog about British Columbia politics.
http://broughton.ca/content/blogsection/

Coupon stuff for assorted products.
http://dealnews.com/coupons/
http://customcoupon.com/
http://www.couponpages.com/
http://www.couponsurfer.com/
http://www.couponmountain.com/
http://www.couponcraze.com/
http://www.4computercoupons.com/
http://www.ableshoppers.com/
http://www.onlinecomputercoupons.com/
http://www.currentcodes.com/

Camping and hiking info for kids.
http://www.camp-a-roo.com/fun.shtml

More stuff for kids.
http://www.funbrain.com/
http://www.surfnetkids.com/games/Harry_Potter/
http://www.eduplace.com/fakeout/
http://yucky.kids.discovery.com/noflash/fun_n_games/
http://www.coolmath.com/
http://www.funschool.com/

A book that discusses the techniques which have
enabled Linux to exist.   http://snipurl.com/sflc

Chords and lyrics.
http://www.pegusisfreeware.com/musicdb/

(costless) economic, demographic and financial data.
http://www.economy.com/freelunch/

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
This publication is only mailed to verified double opt-in subscribers,
and is brought to you by me, Don Crowder, my wife, Lisa Miller,
and //www.freelists.org
ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

If you plan to buy PhotoShop, check out GIMP, developed as
a costless image editing tool that rivals, and will soon
surpass PhotoShop in power and usability. Here's the site
and Wikipedia's overview.
http://www.gimp.org/index.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GIMP

If you're already skilled in PhotoShop and aren't prepared
to embark on a new learning curve, there's GIMPshop, which
replicates the look and feel of PhotoShop.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GIMPshop

In case you've tried GIMP before and were less than inspired
by its help files and tutorials, check it out again.  The
tutorials section promises to be a fairly complete image
editing education, for raw beginners (like me) to seasoned
expert.   http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/

For GIMP tutorials, these sites are great.
http://www.gimpguru.org/
http://snipurl.com/sidu

Ever heard of a backronym?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backronym

Links to online learning materials.
http://www.merlot.org/Home.po

Assistance to anyone learning or teaching OpenOffice.
http://www.tutorialsforopenoffice.org/

If you're not sure what to call that so-and-so, start here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Pejorative_terms_for_people

Directory of the people and issues shaping the public agenda.
http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=SourceWatch

If you get deceptive unsolicited email, go here to report it.
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/edcams/spam/index.html
http://www.usdoj.gov/spam.htm

US Dept. of Justice.   http://www.usdoj.gov/

Sports Picks.   http://www.freeunderdog.com/index.html

Basic to comprehensive spreadsheet tutorials.
http://snipurl.com/sieh

Firewall and diagnostic tests.   http://www.auditmypc.com/

Everything squid.   http://squid.us/

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

At the time this issue was posted, the current
subscriber count for this publication was 297.

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

This issue's collection of news/magazine/informational sites
(these are chosen for maximum diversity regardless of "spin" ).
http://airspace.bc.ca//
http://www.dlib.org/
http://www.ecologyandsociety.org/
http://www.eurekalert.org/index.php
http://www.independent.co.uk/
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/
http://linuxgazette.net/
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/
http://www.newhamrecorder.co.uk/
http://gort.ucsd.edu/newjour/
http://www.kingstreenews.com/
http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/
http://www.zwire.com/site/news.asp?brd=2715

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Short films, some of which contain mature subject matter.
http://www.eggwork.com/

A hobby electronics resource.   http://www.electronics2day.com/

How do you pay for your child's school lunch?
http://www.ezschoolpay.com/
https://www.mylunchmoney.com/index.asp

Google earth in flash.   http://www.flashearth.com/

A gaming site.   http://www.freelunchdesign.com/

A Linux resource.   http://gnuman.com/index.php

Jim Bumgardner is a programmer/hobbyist with a passion
for making cool graphics software, and software toys.
http://krazydad.com/blog/
http://www.jbum.com/

It's the law.
http://www.thelawencyclopedia.com/
http://www.hg.org/
http://www.law.com/
http://www.findlaw.com/
http://www.law.cornell.edu/
http://www.nolo.com/
http://www.law.harvard.edu/library/
http://www.ilrg.com/
http://www.loc.gov/law/guide/
http://www.un.org/law/
http://www.courttv.com/home_primetime/index.html
http://www.law.columbia.edu/focusareas/legacy_portal
http://www.lsac.org/
http://vlib.org/Law
http://www.lawyers.com/
http://www.law.yale.edu/intellectuallife/intellectuallife.htm
http://www.austlii.edu.au/http://www.lawguru.com/index.php

With some folks, BitTorrent is a dirty word. I'm not sure how I
feel about it, but I've used BitTorrent to get at least one Linux
distro that wasn't available any other way.  Here's some reading
on the subject, beginning with the information.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bittorrent
http://www.dessent.net/btfaq/
A search engine.  http://isohunt.com/
A collection of Torrents.  http://www.legaltorrents.com/index.htm
The applications.
http://www.bittorrent.com/index.html
http://azureus.sourceforge.net/
http://www.emule-project.net/home/perl/general.cgi?l=1

eMule is both a torrent-like app and a poetry archive.
http://www.emule.com/poetry/

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
If you'd like to help promote this non-commercial publication, please
forward this ezine to anyone you know who might appreciate it.
To spare them the forwarding carets (>>>>these things) I suggest
you copy/paste the ezine to a new email window, or save the
ezine as a text file to be inserted, or copy/pasted to a new email.

If you've received this publication as a forward and wish to subscribe
you may easily do so from online forms in these two locations:
http://www.don-guitar.com/subsmanager.html
//www.freelists.org/list/donspatch

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Tombs, headstones and other fun stuff.
Tombs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomb
Headstones: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomb_stone
DIY: http://www.jjchandler.com/tombstone/
Inscriptions: http://www.framland.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
Irreverent: http://www.nejman.com/todiefor/
Hadrian's wall: http://museums.ncl.ac.uk/wallnet/ant/tomb.htm
Larceny: http://www.interment.net/column/feature/stolen/index.htm
Bristol: http://www.bristolinformation.co.uk/tombstones/
Earthquake: http://snipurl.com/sif9
Geomorphology: http://snipurl.com/sifb
Greek: http://snipurl.com/sifh
Weblog: http://bradchoate.com/savannah/2004/02/tombstones
Bob: http://home.att.net/~tombstone.bob/

Concrete ships were called "floating tombstones".
http://www.unmuseum.org/concrete.htm

Keep bad things from happening to your computer.
http://egamma.org/security.aspx

Explore the Taj Mahal.  http://www.taj-mahal.net/

The cable television program "Talking About".
http://members.aol.com/talkingabout/

Blogs on any topic.  http://www.technorati.com/explore/

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
Our feedback form: http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

We welcome all comments, suggestions, or criticism.   The form
doesn't access your email client (it's a CGI form), so your
privacy is assured.

If you know of a website that would be a good candidate for this
ezine, please pass it on via our online feedback form (link above).
ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

A UK English learning site.   http://www.learnenglish.org.uk/

Libraries and you.
http://www.ala.org/Template.cfm?Section=librariesandyou

Linux International.   http://www.li.org/

This hamburger place is over two hundred years old.
http://www.louislunch.com/

Lunch box collectors.
http://www.lunchboxpad.com/
http://www.lunchboxes.com/

Live music for young folks.  http://www.lunchmoneymusic.com/

Where to go for lunch?  http://www.lunchonfriday.com/

A new way to market music.   http://www.lunchrecords.com/

The (U.S.) National School Lunch Program.
http://www.fns.usda.gov/cnd/lunch/

No Free Lunch Theorems. http://www.no-free-lunch.org/

Here's a site you might pass on to your favorite doctor.
http://www.nofreelunch.org/

Now the internet can even play a part in your pregnancy.
http://preg.fertilityfriend.com/

I guess it's appropriate for a kid's blog to have a ghost writer.  I'm
betting that Georgia is her mom.   http://bradchoate.com/savannah/

Big cities are in bad shape the world over.
http://www.savevenice.org/

Ever want to put words in a celebrity's mouth?  Watch
the links on the pages, they lead to other celebs.
http://chuck.says-it.com/
http://john.says-it.com/
http://arnold.says-it.com/

Do you have an old computer collecting dust somewhere?
Have you got two or more computers tied together into a
network?   You can enjoy a much higher level of internet
security and they can all share a single internet connection
by converting your old computer to a router.
http://www.zelow.no/floppyfw/
http://www.freesco.org/

How to scan 35 mm slides on a flatbed scanner.
http://www.abstractconcreteworks.com/essays/scanning/Backlighter.html
http://www.newt.com/wohler/scanning-story/

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
Archives for this ezine are available online here:
//www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/

The current issue is also available on our website.
http://www.don-guitar.com/currentissue.html

RSS feed is available via this link.
//www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/feed.rss
ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Simplify your start menu.  http://www.tidystartmenu.com/

A nifty tool for people who think visually.
http://www.visualthesaurus.com/?vt

The thinking space of Adam Shand.
http://www.spack.org/wiki/

Programmers', webmasters' and security resources.
http://www.thefreecountry.com/

The first 75 years of television.
http://www.tvhistory.tv/index.html

What's a tiktaalik?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiktaalik
http://tiktaalik.uchicago.edu/

Small, self contained no-install office software applications.
http://www.xtort.net/office/floppyoffice.php

Very small software for your PC.   http://www.tinyapps.org/

The ultimate photographer.
http://www.williamcoupon.com/about_biography.html

News and opinions by top writers.
http://www.townhall.com/opinion/columns/

Try not to yawn at this one.
http://www.gapingmaws.com/index.html

Open source server and client technology.
http://www.zimbra.com/index.html

Easy to use zip file manager.  http://zipcentral.iscool.net/

Upload your videos here.  http://www.zippyvideos.com/

Everything old is new again. Maggot therapy.
http://www.larve.com/maggot_manual/docs/history.html
http://snipurl.com/sih2

Are they dead or alive?  http://www.deadoraliveinfo.com/

Pat Morita was a very interesting person.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Morita

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
Websites everyone should know about.

These aren't sponsors, they're the best of Internet
publications and I highly recommend them all.

http://askTCL.com
http://www.langa.com
http://www.tourbus.com
http://www.lockergnome.com
http://www.neatnettricks.com
http://www.scotsnewsletter.com
http://www.tricksandtrinkets.com
http://marylaine.com/neatnew.html
ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

How do I _____?  http://www.how-do-i.us/

Scorpions terrify me so I didn't look at this site.
http://www.ub.ntnu.no/scorpion-files/gallery.php

Sea and Sky.   http://www.seasky.org/

Earth and Sky.   http://www.earthsky.com/

Wind and Sea.
http://www.lib.noaa.gov/docs/wind/windandsea.html

Earth and Moon.   http://www.fourmilab.ch/earthview/

Moon and Stars.   http://www.moonandstarsproject.org/

A search engine partnership chart.
http://www.ihelpyou.com/search-engine-chart.html

The (U.S.) national consortium for justice information and
statistics.   http://www.search.org/

I enjoy this little program on the radio.   http://stardate.org/

What is "bash"?   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bash
The preceding set you up for this interesting article.
http://linuxgazette.net/issue55/okopnik.html

Python fans my enjoy this silly walks generator.
http://www.sillywalksgenerator.com/

Who remembers these guys?  http://www.smothersbrothers.com/

Solar and Heliospheric Observatory.
http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/explore/

The (U.S.) FTC on unwanted email.
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/edcams/spam/index.html

Our favorite Linux game is KDE Shisen-Sho.  We liked it so
much that we had to find a similar game for Windows and
we found it in Shisen for Java.
http://www.admoore.de/javashisen/jshome.html
I recently found another version that has less fancy graphics
but plays well enough and the author has some other games
available on his site as well.   http://dvalot.free.fr/games.htm

Shisen is a variant of Mahjongg.  A patient aficionado might
be able to locate other interesting versions of Mahjong on this
site.   http://home.halden.net/vkp/vkp/index.html

Geeky fun.  http://www.lcdf.org/

============== Humor =============

Things said by kids.

Part VI (final)

Johann Bach wrote a great many musical compositions and had
a large number of children. In between he practiced on an old
spinster which he kept up in his attic. Bach died from 1750 to
the present.   Bach was the most famous composer in the world
and so was Handel. Handel was half German, half Italian, and
half English. He was very large.

Beethoven wrote music even though he was deaf. He was so
deaf he wrote loud music. He took long walks in the forest
even when everyone was calling for him. Beethoven expired
in 1827 and later died for this.

The nineteenth century was a time of a great many thoughts and
inventions. People stopped reproducing by hand and started
reproducing by machine. The invention of the steamboat caused
a network of rivers to spring up. Cyrus McCormick invented the
McCormick raper, which did the work of a hundred men. Louis
Pasteur discovered a cure for rabbits. Charles Darwin was a
naturalist who wrote the Organ of the Species.

Madman Curie discovered the radio. Karl Marx became one
of the Marx Brothers.

============== Tips ===============

Smart computing in plain English is a periodical magazine.  There
are a number of informative files available for reading on their site.
http://www.smartcomputing.com/

The Secret Guide to Computers.  http://www.secretguide.net/

Cyber security tips.   http://www.us-cert.gov/cas/tips/

======== Reader Contributions =========
Links from readers are always welcome and
you can even write your own link descriptions
if you like.  Guidelines are available here:
http://www.don-guitar.com/descriptivetext.html
=================================
From reader and friend John Lepse.
=================================

Hey Don,

The first site I want to send you is a blog by linguists at the
University of Pennsylvania and other colleges. It's often
amusing and/or thought provoking and does a good job
of making the study of language accessible and interesting.
The blog is much more fun than my description. Find it at
http://tinyurl.com/94vkm  One caution is that a few of the
posts I read contained some profanity.

Second is the blog based on the book "What Would the
Founders Do?" by Richard Brookhiser. I haven't yet read
the book but have visited the blog at
http://www.founderblogs.com
Of course it's impossible to know what the founders would
think of the issues of today, but it's fun to speculate.

Finally, there's the quiz: What OS Are You? Find it at
http://bbspot.com/news/2003/os_quiz.php  Essentially
meaningless of course but fun.  I'm a Palm OS, punctual
and straightforward. My mother, according to the quiz,
wishes I could be more like my cousin Wince, but I'm
happy the way I am.

Take Care,
John

=================================
From reader and friend H. Davis.
=================================

Don, here's one method a fellow from Austin chose
to distribute Linux.  I thought it pretty novel. :-)
http://www.lobby4linux.com/WordPress/?p=63

=================================
From reader and friend, Irving Stein.
 http://www.irvings-info-page.cityslide.com
=================================

The magic gopher (site has embedded sound).
http://www.learnenglish.org.uk/games/magic-gopher-central.swf

The Pocket.  http://www.thepocket.com/

Ramesh's Windows XP fixes, tips and tweaks.
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/index.html

Real time world statistics.   http://www.worldometers.info/

Windows XP "Scandisk".
http://www.duxcw.com/faq/win/xp/scandisk.htm

=================================
From reader and friend Patrick Barden
=================================

So, got any books you don't want?
http://snipurl.com/shzv

Windows CleanUp!   http://www.stevengould.org/software/cleanup/

Here's a blog that Patrick reads and loves.
http://holymama.typepad.com/holymama/

A few images on Patrick's website.
http://elberton.net/~wpb30635/

Patrick's blog.   http://rrwbushangel.blogspot.com/

What's your phishing IQ?
http://survey.mailfrontier.com/survey/quiztest.html

An online summer camp for kids.
http://familyinternet.about.com/od/summerfuncamp/a/summerfun.htm

Here's a cute little animation entitled "Animation versus animator".
The link Patrick originally sent me has gone bad but google found
me a new one in short order.
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/animator

News of the Middle Ages.   http://scatoday.net/

Better living through... better knitting?
http://snipurl.com/shai
http://www.interweave.com/knit/charities.asp
http://www.vam.ac.uk/collections/fashion/knitting/

Flu info.   http://www.nature.com/nature/focus/1918flu/index.html
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/influenza/
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4949542

Toxic lunch boxes.   http://www.cehca.org/lunchboxes.htm

Positive things about leeches.
http://dnr.metrokc.gov/wlr/waterres/Bugs/Leeches.htm

Search the Little Oxford Dictionary of Quotations.
http://www.askoxford.com/dictionaries/quotation_dict/?view=uk

Conspire with others, to do good.   http://www.pledgebank.com/

Car safety info (U.S.)    http://www.safercar.gov/

American English.   http://www.usefoundation.org/foundation/research/lia/

Thank you John, H. Davis, Irving, Patrick and Jo.

=================================
Last word, from Lisa:

We're getting into full-blown summer here in Central Texas,
so people are a little less interested in large outdoor
projects.  It's common around here to hear about peoples'
"fall project" plans for any and all outdoor work.  The only
thing that won't wait is mowing and weeding the stuff that
you carefully planted in the spring.  Very soon, temperatures
of 102- to 110-degrees every afternoon will be common,
unless of course, it rains; an all-too-scarce occurrence.

Still, this area is one of the best I've known.  The day I
drove into Tow, TX I knew this was my home.

El mejor del amor y de la suerte.

Lisa

Lisa's feedback form:  http://www.don-guitar.com/lfefo.html
Don's feedback form:  http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

Lisa at myspace.com.  http://www.myspace.com/81825549
Lisa's blog.  http://blog.myspace.com/81825549

Don at myspace.com http://www.myspace.com/donguitar
Don's blog.  http://blog.myspace.com/donguitar

Our personal news page.
http://www.don-guitar.com/babbleon.html

Don Crowder and Lisa Miller
Saturday, July 1, 2006
12.23 AM CST - Buchanan Lake Village, Texas, USA
Served by the U.S. Post Office in Tow (rhymes-with-cow), Texas

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
Privacy:  We will never share, sell, or
otherwise compromise your email address.

Privacy Policy on our website.
http://www.don-guitar.com/privacy.html

Freelists.org Privacy Policy.
//www.freelists.org/privacy.html
ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

The most important people on the Internet, for you and I as computer
users, are software developers.  The world's coolest computer, without
software, is like a car without fuel.  It might look great, but what
can it do?  It doesn't matter who produces the software you love and
use regularly, the developers of that software need your support.

A bit of advice from Internet veteran Bayard J. Fox:

New computer users are often in awe of the things you can get without
cost on the Internet.  There can be hidden costs for the unwary. Use a
"throw away" email address to register, and be constantly on guard
against giving away personal information.  Use a firewall, and provide
only the barest minimum of information on questionnaires.

Please rate this ezine at the Ezine Finder.
http://www.ezinefinder.com/vote.html?pub_code=donspa

You may also review us at BestEzines.com:
http://BestEzines.com/?id=898