[donspatch] 2013-11-01

  • From: "Don (& Lisa)" <dondashguitar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Donspatch <Donspatch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2012 00:31:20 -0500

#177 November 1, 2012 from http://www.don-guitar.com

Online version:  http://www.don-guitar.com/currentissue.html

Archives:  //www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/

First word, from Don:

Did anyone miss our October issue?  Sorry about that we just
couldn't get it together and I decided against posting an
excuse.  We're just going to try and get back on track with
this issue.

Anybody could guess that we love the internet but some days
we love it more than others.  Lisa's car is a 1995 Mercury
Grand Marquis and, as would be true of any 17 year old
automobile, it sometimes needs attention from a mechanic.
On balance, what we pay the mechanic each year is a tiny
fraction of what a car payment would run, and that's why
she drives an old Mercury.  That's also why I drive an old
1994 Oldsmobile mini van and my Chevy pickup truck is a
1990 model.  About a week ago the rear, driver-side window
stopped working on Lisa's car (it has electric windows).
Our mechanic told us the motor was good but we need a new
regulator (don't ask me what that is, I've no idea) and
the parts store he called wanted $75 for a new one.  He's
been our mechanic for several years and, by now, expects
us to be able to find any car part he needs for quite a
bit less than any regional car parts store is going to
charge him. This time was no exception.  I found a new
regulator on www.carparts.com for a delivered price of
just under $23.  Like I said, some days we really love
the internet.  :)

Progress on house:  None lately. :(

Win some, lose some, move on.   :)

See you next time,

Don

Our feedback form and contact info:
http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

Don on...

facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/people/Don-Crowder/1321324044

twitter:
http://twitter.com/eldergeek

blogger:
http://don-guitar.blogspot.com/

google plus.
https://plus.google.com/u/0/106370117092434105137

Lisa on...

blogger:
http://thedirtgoddess.blogspot.com/

google plus.
http://www.google.com/profiles/101326359135790262301

Our email group is a low traffic, non-topical,
'hanging with friends' sort of email discussion
group available to our friends and subscribers.
If you'd like to join the discussion, or just
lurk and 'listen in', send us a message from
our contact page and let us know what email
address you'd like to be subscribed under.

Section One by Don.

We Americans sure are getting bombarded with
political info at the moment and, as is
usually the case, we sometimes believe what
we hear or read in an email without bothering
to check the facts.  For example, several of
my friends have forwarded me an email which
claims that president Obama's healthcare
program is going to push our medicare
premiums up to nearly $250 a month in 2014.
True or false? False!  http://goo.gl/ZGiQd

Politifact rates the veracity of some of the
claims made by politicians.
http://www.politifact.com/

FactCheck analyses political claims for truth
content.   http://www.factcheck.org/

The Federal Election Commission's Campaign
Finance Disclosure Portal reveals at least
some information on how much money candidates
are spending.   http://www.fec.gov/pindex.shtml

NPR's Message Machine takes a close look at the ads,
speeches and spin of political claims and contentions.
http://goo.gl/7eg1h [npr dot org]

Project Vote Smart, a non-partisan, nonprofit
educational organization, says they can help you
pick the candidate who best serves the needs of
the population.  http://votesmart.org/

I'm pretty much in favor of any project that aims to
expose kids to diverse forms of musical expression
so this site looks pretty cool to me.
http://jumpinjazzkids.com/

I can't figure out how to describe io9, it seems
to pretty much be about, well, everything.
http://updates.io9.com/

Q.  What is a word cloud?
A:  It's a sort of graphical analysis of the words used in
RSS feeds, webpages, wikipedia or individual facebook
pages, G+ pages, blogs or twitter streams.  Here, for
example, is a work cloud based on my facebook page.
http://www.don-guitar.com/temp/FBWordCloud.png
Wanna make your own?  Here you go.
http://timc.idv.tw/wordcloud/en/#

Here's a video of a dogs dream come true.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLYMD6R6PvU

End of Section One.

This publication is only mailed to verified
double opt-in subscribers, and is brought
to you by me, Don Crowder, my wife,
Lisa Miller, and //www.freelists.org

Section Two by Lisa.

Don is doing this!  He's almost done,
we'll post a picture next month.
http://goo.gl/2gIUn

Keep up-to-date with the cutest news on the Internet!
http://thefluffingtonpost.com/

Things that blew your mind as a kid.
http://thedoghousediaries.com/4531

User experience euphemisms.
http://goo.gl/KCuOz

A history of New York in 50 objects.
http://goo.gl/hkgcG

Google has a great Family Safety Center.
http://www.google.com/goodtoknow/familysafety/

The future of fatherhood?
http://thedadman.com/index.php

375 Free E-books.
http://www.openculture.com/free_ebooks

Paper Art by Hina Aoyama.
http://bonexpose.com/featured/hina-aoyama/

An eagle with a 3D printed prosthetic beak.
http://goo.gl/59190

The Bon Ami company is as clean and green as ever.
I highly recommend their 1886 Formula Cleaning Powder.
http://www.bonami.net/

End of Section Two.

At the time this issue was posted,
the current subscriber count for
this publication was 356.

This issue's collection of online news, blogs,
magazines, videos  and/or other media related
sites.  These are chosen for maximum diversity
regardless of 'spin' and in some cases may
have offensive or questionable content.
http://anarchogeek.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=XuMuGYCW63w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irNtyaNHq5A
http://clairybrowne.com/
http://www.myspace.com/byboth
http://vibedeck.com/karenak/temptation-eyes
http://vibedeck.com/karenak/midnight-walk
http://heatherfay.net/listen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=HtKbmVu4oPU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqhlQfXUk7w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=UlQvf7IVxao
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIU0RMV_II8
http://goo.gl/mB4D1 [reddit dot om]
http://goo.gl/3mp44 [pencilsatdawn dot com]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NbBoQ-R_0s
http://www.youtube.com/user/CNN?feature=watch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opqWgLOEhIA
http://www.knowledgespeak.com/
http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/
http://www.acronymfinder.com/
http://goo.gl/f9KiG [bandcamp dot com]

Section Three by Don.

A good friend of ours recently had a double mastectomy so
I decided to make a donation to breast cancer research.
The first website I found was this one...
http://www.warriorsinpink.ford.com/
...and they have a t-shirt I really liked. I needed some
new t-shirts but at $30 each I could only afford one.  Also
I couldn't bring myself to spend $30 on one t-shirt so I
went back to google where I found this site...
http://ww5.komen.org/   ...where I made a donation.
Then I went to this site...   http://www.cheapestees.com/
and bought myself 6 new t-shirts for right at $4 each.

Just lately I find myself on the road in my van on Sunday
mornings between 10 AM and noon and there are some programs
on our regional NPR affiliate which a really enjoy.  The
first is Morning Edition, a really awesome news program.
http://www.npr.org/programs/morning-edition/
Next is This American Life.
http://www.thisamericanlife.org/
Finally, Snap Judgment, which has been on the air for
about two years now, offers some fascinating stories.
http://snapjudgment.org/

The topic of GMO grains has become a knee-jerk button for
controvercy in most circles.  Here's a kickstarter project
which aims to make a movie about what is, ultimately, one
of the most precious resources on the planet; seeds.
http://goo.gl/LVyJ5 [kickstarter dot com]

Cute videos with kids, animals, bloopers, and/or humor have
become something of a staple on the web and everybody wants
a piece of the action, even CNN.  They call it Distractions.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL51A3D1CEAF24256C

Hey Windows users, what a spiffy calculator?
http://www.moffsoft.com/

Here's a pretty cool cooking show.
http://www.barepantryshow.com/

I don't normally watch TV but recently, at a friend's home,
I've seen several commercials for cookware called "Yoshi
Blue".  As someone who cooks, any cookware commercial is
going to catch my attention but there's at least one serious
cook who finds another product, Orgreenic (of which I had
never previously heard) to be superior to Yoshi Blue.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mgzI2KvlHI

End of Section Three.

If you'd like to help promote this
non-commercial publication,
please forward this ezine to
anyone you know who might
appreciate it.  To spare them
the forwarding carets (>> these
things) I suggest you copy/paste
the ezine to a new email window,
or save the ezine as a text file to
be inserted, or copy/pasted to a
new email.

If you've received this publication
as a forward and wish to subscribe
you may easily do so from online
forms in either of these two locations:
http://www.don-guitar.com/subsmanager.html
//www.freelists.org/list/donspatch

Section Four by Lisa.

Here you have it, folks, the Perfectly Fried Egg.
http://goo.gl/gblvT

The 50 Best Websites of 2012.
http://goo.gl/ZyueT

What's your secret?
http://www.postsecret.com/

An amusing and amazing performance.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9kPfelTEds

Do your own Jackson Pollock thing!
http://www.jacksonpollock.org/

Good rules for writing fiction.
http://goo.gl/3Be5t

Realistic or artistic prosthetic limbs.
http://www.thealternativelimbproject.com/#

Would you ask Robert Heilein for help?
http://goo.gl/lwegy

A web series about dressing like an adult.
http://vimeo.com/putthison

Online life after death.
http://goo.gl/NCXAp

End of Section Four.

We welcome all comments, suggestions, or
criticism.  The form doesn't access your
email client (it's a CGI form), so your
privacy is assured.  If you know of a
website that would be a good candidate
for this ezine, please pass it on via
our online feedback form.
http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

Section Five by Don.

"The Ridiculous Business Jargon Dictionary."
http://goo.gl/HG9q [theofficelife dot com]
More where that came from.
http://www.theofficelife.com/

Louis Armstrong at the 1958 Newport Jazz Festival.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=TVMTwxLY7b4

Serious jazz fans, this is a site you'll love.
http://www.jazzonthetube.com/

Speaking of cute internet videos.
http://www.pawnation.com/

I had no idea that the maps we've used for the
past few centuries are very deceptive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=n8zBC2dvERM

Yet another instance where malicious software is causing
serious problems for Windows users.
http://osdir.com/Article11269.phtml

I've become a huge fan of Vicki Ableson and her program on
youtube.  It's called "Women Who Write" but right under the
title is a pretty cool disclaimer "We aren't all women
and we don't all write".
http://www.youtube.com/user/fergushaggis

For a couple of years I enjoyed participating on a social
media site called eons, which targeted senior citizens.
They recently shut down because the ad-supported website
wasn't producing enough revenue to maintain the system (and,
I assume, pay the help).  I recently ran across another
social media site, this one targeted at musicians, which
has a one-time, lifetime membership fee of $5.95.  So far
I've managed to resist the temptation to sign up but I guess
that's mostly because I'm a typical nerd who expects
everything on the web to be free :)   http://folk-book.com/

This site bills itself as "A discovery engine for
meaningful knowledge, fueled by cross-disciplinary
curiosity."   http://exp.lore.com/

End of Section Five.

Archives for this ezine are available online here:
//www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/

The current issue is also available on our website.
http://www.don-guitar.com/currentissue.html

RSS feed is available via this link.
//www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/feed.rss

Section Six by Lisa.

If you see a dog with a yellow ribbon on
his collar, please respect his space.
http://goo.gl/8jteZ

I love the Flylady, here's why.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgdNPWhAlyI

Even ill veterans can visit their memorials
via Virtual Veterans Tours on Google+
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QSK93xefrE

Totally fascinating facts, served fresh.
http://www.yesiknowthat.com/

Great fingerprint portraits.
http://goo.gl/fjGnl

Self knowledge through numbers.
http://quantifiedself.com

Insanely cute time-waster.
http://cat-bounce.com/

Stories by and about people.
http://snapjudgment.org/

Fascinating 6 minutes and 20 seconds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-veNIp9dBL4

End of Section Six.

The Linux Corner.

Lisa and I have been full-time Linux users for about six
years now and we still see several well written articles
every year which go into detail about how and why Linux
isn't yet ready for the desktop.  Sure, there's a learning
curve but, for a total novice, Linux is far easier and
safer to learn that Windows, mainly because Linux has far
more immunity to all the malicious software Windows users
must guard against.  Linux is somewhat more challenging for
long-time Windows users because of the number of things
which must be "un-learned" but switching from Windows XP to
any popular Linux distro will be far easier than switching
from Windows XP to Windows 8.  :)

Just lately, we've been using Kubuntu 12.04 LTS but recent
policy decisions by Canonical (the corporation which
developed Ubuntu) may result in our switching to another
distribution (Mepis is very nice and we're also fond
of Debian).

Back when we first started learning to use Linux, the best
way to get help in a hurry was via IRC (Internet Relay Chat)
but that meant figuring out how to use an IRC client.
Q:  What is IRC?
A:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Relay_Chat
Xubuntu (a version of Ubuntu which is ideally suited for
many older computer systems) has taken some of the stress
out of using IRC by creating an online (cloud) interface.
http://xubuntu.org/irc/

Occasionally I encounter a distro which is tailored to suit
a narrowly defined set of users.  Here are a few such.
http://zorin-os.com/free.html (for Windows users)
http://pearlinux.fr/ (for Mac users)
http://solusos.com/ (designed for overall ease of use)

Linux is slowly gaining momentum as a gaming platform.
http://goo.gl/IAfdW [gamespot dot com]

The most frequently asked question, by people who're
interested in Linux, is 'Which distro is best?'.
Unfortunately, this isn't an easy question to answer.
http://goo.gl/SXj8c [osnews dot com]
http://goo.gl/t5GNN [techradar dot com]
http://www.labnol.org/software/best-linux-distros/12757/
http://goo.gl/gBYqp [techrepublic dot com]
http://www.makeuseof.com/pages/best-linux-distributions
I'm more or less in agreement with most of these but I
don't understand why none of them mention Mepis, which is
a mature, stable, user-friendly, Debian-based distro.
http://www.mepis.org/
Nor do they mention Slitaz which is a very small (30 MB),
easy to download distro that's great for installing on
older machines which don't have a lot of resources and
really super live media distro(run from a CD or flash
'thumb' drive).   http://www.slitaz.org/en/
Finally, they don't mention what is, in my opinion, the
best live media distro of all.  Slax isn't designed to
install, it's intended to strictly be a live media distro
and is a joy to use as such (don't leave home without it :)
http://www.slax.org/

A Little Humor.

Web-sibling Patrick Barden sent us this
list of interesting bumper stickers.

If You Can Read This, I Can Slam On My Brakes And Sue You

Forget World Peace, Visualize Turning Off Your Turn Signal!

Hang Up And Drive!

Where There's A Will...  I Want To Be In It!

Ever Stop To Think, And Forget To Start Again?

This Would Be Really Funny If It Weren't Happening To Me

If We Quit Voting Will They All Go Away?

This Bumper Sticker Exploits Illiterates

Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway

Honk If Anything Falls Off

I Haven't Lost My Mind, It's Backed Up On Disk Somewhere

I suppose this one, from web-sibling Norm Koeckritz, is a
day or two late for Halloween but it's cute so I'm using
it anyway.   Blame Norm if you think it's a groaner.

Bob Hill and his new wife Betty were vacationing in
Europe, as it happens, near  Transylvania.  They were
driving in a rental car along a rather deserted highway.
It was late and raining very hard.  Bob could barely see
the road in front of the car.  Suddenly the car skids out
of control! Bob attempts to control the car, but to no
avail!  The car swerves and smashes into a tree.
Moments later, Bob shakes his head to clear the fog. Dazed,
he looks over at the passenger seat and sees his wife
unconscious, with her head bleeding!  Despite the rain and
unfamiliar countryside, Bob knows he has to get her medical
assistance.
Bob carefully picks his wife up and begins trudging down
the road.  After a short while, he sees a light.  He heads
towards the light, which is coming from a large, old house.
He approaches the door and knocks.

A minute passes.  A small, hunched man opens the door. Bob
immediately blurts, 'Hello, my name is Bob Hill, and this
is my wife Betty.  We've been in a terrible accident, and
my wife has been seriously hurt.  Can I please use your
phone?'

'I'm sorry,' replied the hunchback, 'but we don't have a
phone.  My master is a doctor; come in and I will get him!'
Bob brings his wife in.

An older man comes down the stairs.  'I'm afraid my
assistant may have misled you.  I am not a medical doctor;
I am a scientist.  However, it is many miles to the nearest
clinic, and I have had a basic medical training.  I will
see what I can do. Igor, bring them down to the laboratory.'

 With that, Igor picks up Betty and carries her downstairs,
with Bob following closely.  Igor places Betty on a table
in the lab.  Bob collapses from exhaustion and his own
injuries, so Igor places Bob on an adjoining table.

After a brief examination, Igor's master looks worried.
'Things are serious, Igor. Prepare a transfusion.'  Igor
and his master work feverishly, but to no avail. Bob and
Betty Hill are no more.

The Hills' deaths upset Igor's master greatly.  Wearily,
he climbs the steps to his conservatory, which houses his
grand piano.  For it is here that he has always found
solace. He begins to play, and a stirring, almost haunting
melody fills the house.

Meanwhile, Igor is still in the lab tidying up. His eyes
catch movement, and he notices the fingers on Betty's hand
twitch, keeping time to the haunting piano music.  Stunned,
he watches as Bob's arm begins to rise, marking the beat!
He is further amazed as Betty and Bob both sit up straight!

 Unable to contain himself, he dashes up the stairs to the conservatory.

 He bursts in and shouts to his master:

'Master, Master!'

'Yes Igor?' replies the doctor,

'Master' blurts Igor,

'The Hills are alive with the sound of music!'

[author unknown]

Tips for This Issue.

Antivirus software exists in a volatile market where things
can change radically virtually overnight but, for the time
being, the best free AV product out there is Microsoft
Security Essentials.  Why?
1.  There's no 'premium' version so it's not crippleware.
There's only one version (per se) and it's free.
2.  Even given that it's free, Microsoft's reputation is
on the line with this product.  It has to be good.
3.  It's designed to protect your computer from any and all
sorts of malicious software, be it virus, spyware, trojans,
whatever.  http://goo.gl/XF4L1 [microsoft dot com]

Regardless of what AV and/or anti-malware software you're
using, if you're one of those people who's in the habit
of clicking on "Remind me later" when anything asks for
an update, be it your browser, Windows, Java, Adobe
products (Flash, Shockwave, Air, Acrobat reader), or
your AV software, you're asking for trouble.

Software producers can't keep up with the bad guys because
there's no way they can predict or anticipate what the
next exploit is going to be.  They just work as fast and
furiously as they can to update their product, making them
invulnerable to whatever the latest exploit happens to be
but sometimes the exploits come along in droves.  From the
moment a software update is released, your individual
vulnerability from failing to install that update can
increase almost exponentially every day.  Keep your
system as up-to-date as possible, no matter how annoying it
is.  Failing to do so will, sooner or later, attack you
in the wallet (when you wind up having to take it to a
computer shop).

Contributions from our readers and/or friends
are always welcome and you can even write
your own link descriptions if you wish (just
tell me when you send them if that's what you
intended).  Guidelines are available here:
http://www.don-guitar.com/descriptivetext.html

From our web-sibling Patrick Barden.

A very artsy sort of sketch pad.
http://mrdoob.com/projects/harmony/

Need some sheet music?  http://www.musink.net/

From our web-sibling Jo-Ann (Jo) Burton:

It's about color.   http://www.colourlovers.com/

Pop-up and movable books.
http://www.library.unt.edu/rarebooks/exhibits/popup2/

A huge and impressive collection of images from an amateur
photographer.  http://www.flickr.com/photos/bcnbits/

The Earth and Moon as Seen from Mars.
http://hirise.lpl.arizona.edu/earthmoon.php

Get the latest on Hurricane Sandy.
http://www.weather.com/tv/tvshows/live-stream

Political opinion pages from the NT Times.
http://campaignstops.blogs.nytimes.com/

Quite a bit fancier than an etch-a-sketch.
http://www.myoats.com/create.aspx

This one didn't work for me.
http://www.pumpkinpirate.info/ks/

I'm not sure my heart can take watching this film.
http://www.thewaywegetbymovie.com/

A magazine for music junkies (with fairly aggresive ads).
http://www.nme.com/

NASA science headlines.
http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/

High Res images of Mars.   http://hirise.lpl.arizona.edu/

The Science Creative Quarterly.   http://www.scq.ubc.ca/

A few humorous animations.
http://www.youtube.com/user/simonscat

What is it?  I suppose it's in the title 'Letters I never
sent'.   http://www.letterineversent.com/index.php

A collection of short films.   http://www.tandemfilms.com/

Calendars through the ages.
http://www.webexhibits.org/calendars/
More where that came from.  http://www.webexhibits.org/

What was Home Economics?
http://rmc.library.cornell.edu/homeEc/

I don't care for the music but the concept is valid.
http://unscrewamerica.org/

Candidates, campaigns and the political
cartoons of Clifford K. Berryman.
http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/running-for-office/

A gallery of virtual exhibits from the Los Angeles Public
Library.   http://www.lapl.org/virgal/

From our web-sibling Vinette (Vi) DePhillipe.

Radney Foster's Angel Flight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=70Ikj1hZDnw

G.I. Joe by the Oak Ridge Boys.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=8lQk27hPzZs

Ray "Bubba" Sorensen's Painted Rock.
http://goo.gl/aAwmc [veteranartistsnetwork dot com]

Structural engineering in action.
http://goo.gl/J9Am5 [mastersconnection dot com]

From our web-sibling Norm Koeckritz.

Interesting collections of photos.
http://www.yesemails.com/text/beautifulpictures/
http://www.saeed2012.com/amazing-photoshard-to-believe-2/
http://goo.gl/y3SS9 [conservativetreehouse dot com]

The Ventures, March 1st, 1998.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljLi_hBLy3A

From our web-sibling John Lepse.
( John's blog: http://hucknjim.blogspot.com/ )

One of John's favorite tech news and info sites.
http://arstechnica.com/

A nice collection of Blues videos.
http://musictonic.com/music/Howlin%27+Wolf#v=4Ou-6A3MKow

Google's Cultural Institute.
http://www.google.com/culturalinstitute/?hl=en#!home

Pick your form and fill in the blanks.  Get it said!
http://www.bureauofcommunication.com/

Thank you Patrick, Jo, Vi, Norm and John.

Last word, from Lisa:

We're a little embarrassed at missing an issue last
month, though we can't figure out how we could have
done differently.

So, to catch you up on our Big Drum Adventure;
we bought four drums and I restored them, then
we ordered a snare drum and all the necessary
hardware and set it up.

http://goo.gl/i93Mi
http://goo.gl/pS82k
http://goo.gl/fbFY7

I'm having a lot of fun learning drumming.
It's not quite as easy as it looks, though,
and my advanced age isn't helping any ;-)

Since we have no disposable income left for
lessons, I went to this website and am learning
from these free online lessons.  They are very
well done and I thank Rob Litten for them.

http://www.drumstheword.com/

The Adventure continues!

Lisa

https://plus.google.com/101326359135790262301

Don on...

facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/people/Don-Crowder/1321324044

twitter:
http://twitter.com/eldergeek

blogger:
http://don-guitar.blogspot.com/

google plus.
https://plus.google.com/u/0/106370117092434105137

Don Crowder and Lisa Miller
Thursday, November 01, 2012
12:30 AM CST - Buchanan Lake Village, Texas, USA
Served by the U.S. Post Office
in Tow (rhymes-with-cow), Texas

Privacy:  We will never share, sell, or
otherwise compromise your email address.

Privacy Policy on our website.
http://www.don-guitar.com/privacy.html

Freelists.org Privacy Policy.
//www.freelists.org/privacy.html

The most important people on the Internet, for you and
I as computer users, are software developers.  The world's
coolest computer, without software, is like a car without
fuel.  It might look great, but what can it do?
It doesn't matter who produces the software you love
and use regularly, the developers of that software
need and deserve your support.

A bit of advice from Internet veteran Bayard J. Fox:

New computer users are often in awe of the things you can
get without cost on the Internet. There can be hidden
costs for the unwary. Use a 'throw away' email address to
register, and be constantly on guard against giving away
personal information. Use a firewall, and provide only
the barest minimum of information on questionnaires.

The Internet:  A Weapon of Mass Instruction.