[donspatch] 2012-03-01

  • From: "Don (& Lisa)" <dondashguitar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Donspatch <Donspatch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 00:13:54 -0600

#170 March 1, 2012 from http://www.don-guitar.com

Online version:  http://www.don-guitar.com/currentissue.html

Archives:  //www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/

First word, from Don:

The house, well, the apartment/guestroom/computer shop which
is next to the house, is coming along slowly but surely.

http://goo.gl/sWzc3  [google+ album at google dot com]

My forearms are covered with 'owies' (minor flesh wounds)
which I attribute to the fact that my skin is relatively
fragile and, possibly because I'm not a particularly
good carpenter, I seem unable to avoid constant bumps,
nicks and bruises.  I love the work but can't seem to
manage it without beating myself up.  Just lately I
wear a long sleeve shirt anytime I've got to leave home
to go anywhere beside the construction site.  The up side
is that the exercise I'm getting is helping me lose
weight.   I hate the word 'diet' but Lisa and I have both
been trying to shed some excess pounds.  I've managed to
lose about 12 pounds in the last 3 months and she's lost
about 10 pounds.   You can see it on her, she looks
great, but she was only about 10 pounds overweight.
You can't really see it on me because I was about 40
pounds overweight.  So now I'm only around 30 pounds
overweight.   :(  Oh well, I'll manage somehow.

See you next time!

Don

Our feedback form and contact info:
http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

Don on...

facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/people/Don-Crowder/1321324044

twitter:
http://twitter.com/eldergeek

blogger:
http://don-guitar.blogspot.com/

google plus.
https://plus.google.com/u/0/106370117092434105137

Lisa on...

blogger:
http://thedirtgoddess.blogspot.com/

google plus.
http://www.google.com/profiles/101326359135790262301

Our email group is a low traffic, non-topical,
'hanging with friends' sort of email discussion
group available to our friends and subscribers.
If you'd like to join the discussion, or just
lurk and 'listen in', send us a message from
our contact page and let us know what email
address you'd like to be subscribed under.

Section One by Don.

Brainy, zany nutiness.   http://mindstorms.lego.com/en-us/

Chiptunes are an obscure variant on digital music.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiptune
http://www.8bitpeoples.com/
http://www.di.fm/chiptunes/
http://www.chiptunes.org/
https://8bc.org/
http://www.chiptune.com/

Axel's DIY hobby page.
https://sites.google.com/site/diytechinnovations/

Got health problems?  Networking may prove rewarding.
http://www.patientslikeme.com/

Open prosthetics is an awesome concept.
http://openprosthetics.org/

A well done Monty Python fan site.
http://www.intriguing.com/mp/

Intriguing tessellations by Marjorie Rice.
http://tessellations.home.comcast.net/~tessellations/

You'd have to be as old as me to remember when all the
coolest bands had a stage full of Kustom equipment.
http://www.broadwaymusicco.com/kustom1.htm

Before you sell it, what's it worth?
http://www.usedprice.com/index.html

A fun place to explore if you're an electronics hobbyist.
http://donklipstein.com/index.html

So you've written a book, don't have an agent and
can't find a publisher who's interested?  No problem.
http://www.bookbaby.com/

Whether you're using Windows, Mac or Linux, here's
an excellent Open Source (free) accounting app.
http://www.gnucash.org/

Aldrine Guerrero presents "Ukulele at its Dorkiest" (very cool).
http://www.youtube.com/user/ukuleleoversoul

These days it doesn't matter what business you're in, it doesn't
pay to make a customer angry, they might slam you on the web.
http://www.farmersinsurancegroupsucks.com/

All about eBooks.   http://www.teleread.com/

Open Source textbooks are awesome.
http://www.onlineschools.org/blog/open-source/
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Main_Page

End of Section One.

This publication is only mailed to verified
double opt-in subscribers, and is brought
to you by me, Don Crowder, my wife,
Lisa Miller, and //www.freelists.org

Section Two by Lisa.

Why videos go viral.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpxVIwCbBK0

Oopsie Rolls and their cousin, Oopsie Pizza, will
help those on a low-carb eating regimen.
http://goo.gl/Km9dt
http://goo.gl/soes3

Just how gullible are you?
http://gullible.info/

Take away what you need to from this.
http://goo.gl/1obT

Teaching government to kids.
http://bensguide.gpo.gov/

Are you right- or left-brained?
http://goo.gl/Z32f

Absolutely, positively no-fail guaranteed success.
http://transom.org/?p=24153

Combining art and anatomy.
http://goo.gl/YaqQV

Wanna have some fun on an airplane?
http://www.thecleverest.com/countdown.swf
Kidding!  Don't do it!

Acquire confidence in the kitchen.
http://www.macheesmo.com/

Wonderful recipes from Clay's Kitchen.
http://www.panix.com/~clay/cookbook/

All uke videos, all the time.
http://uketoob.com/

Teen brings the Negro Leagues to life.
http://goo.gl/tf9rh

Beautiful smoke art in bottles.
http://goo.gl/qUqRg

End of Section Two.

At the time this issue was posted,
the current subscriber count for
this publication was 361.

This issue's collection of online news, blogs,
magazines, videos  and/or other media related
sites.  These are chosen for maximum diversity
regardless of 'spin' and in some cases may
have offensive or questionable content.
http://www.coolhunting.com/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/podcasts/
http://weheartit.com/
http://www.youtube.com/show/thedailysonger
http://www.youtube.com/myharto
http://visual.ly/common-cold
http://mondays.pwop.com/
http://www.guytalkgirltalk.com/
http://radioparallax.com/index.php?mdl=2
http://faif.us/cast/2011/nov/29/0x1D/
http://www.motherlondon.com/
http://paper.li/RockTilYouDrop/1319280213
http://www.lightstalking.com/photography-facebook-pages
http://designyoutrust.com/
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/
www.atom.com
http://www.google.com/experimental/
http://www.loc.gov/jukebox/about

Section Three by Patrick Barden.
Patrick's blog:   http://romanroadwalker.wordpress.com/
Patrick's twitter feed:   https://twitter.com/#!/wpb30635

OffLiberty lets you take online content off line to
enjoy later. Great if your online time is limited.
http://offliberty.com/

Deappetizer is not for the weak of stomach.  Suppress
your appetite by viewing photos of odd and gross food.
http://deappetizer.com/

Eat Differently lets you track not just what, but how you
eat.  Start a healthy habit and learn to eat differently.
http://www.eatdifferent.com/welcome

A Game A Day is exactly what it sounds like.  A site that
gives you a game each day in one of two levels to challenge
your self.   http://www.agameaday.com/

Films to lets you specify if you want to laugh, cry, think
or clap and them find shorts that meet your needs.
http://filmsto.com

Noughts and Crosses Extreme is not your parents tic tac
toe, but a new version with a growing board.  Very fun.
http://oxe.achronism.com/

Ringtones from Youtube videos. http://video2ringtone.com/

Send a message that completely vanishes after it is read.
https://burnnote.com/#/

Unsubscriber scans your email, gives you a list of any
subscribed emails and lets you un subscribe all of them
in one place.   https://unsubscribr.com/Default.aspx

What exactly is that song about?  Find out here.
http://www.songfacts.com/

Which Doc lets you recommend a doctor and get suggestions
and recommendations from your friends and social circles.
https://www.whichdoc.com/

Men, become the perfect gentleman, with custom reminders
about all the stuff your lady friend wants you to remember.
http://www.thedailygentleman.com/
P.S. A version for the ladies is in the works.

Shapecatcher is there when you are looking for a simple
image or symbol but can't remember what it's called.
Now just draw it and find out.
http://shapecatcher.com/

Did a date go wrong?  Find out what happened by going to
http://wotwentwrong.com/  You find out what happened and
learn how to avoid doing it again.

Fake text and siri messages are all the rage in jokes.
Now make your own.
Siri messages  http://ifakesiri.com/
Cell phone text  http://www.ifaketext.com/

Privacy Score checks sites and lets you know how
well they handle and protect your private info.
http://www.privacyscore.com/

When you have just had a baby, no one wants to go through
the process of telling everyone that the little one is
here.  Let Baby Notify do it for you.
http://www.babynotify.com/

PDFTools lets you perform various tasks with pdf
files without having to install more software.
http://pdftools.egedsoft.com/

Editor's Note:   Thanks Patrick!

End of Section Three.

If you'd like to help promote this
non-commercial publication,
please forward this ezine to
anyone you know who might
appreciate it.  To spare them
the forwarding carets (>> these
things) I suggest you copy/paste
the ezine to a new email window,
or save the ezine as a text file to
be inserted, or copy/pasted to a
new email.

If you've received this publication
as a forward and wish to subscribe
you may easily do so from online
forms in either of these two locations:
http://www.don-guitar.com/subsmanager.html
//www.freelists.org/list/donspatch

Section Four by Don.

Believe it or not.  http://www.ripleys.com/

Out house has this kind of government.
http://eatocracy.cnn.com/

Is there another country in the world with so many languages?
http://www.languageshome.com/

If all you want to do is check your hard drive, the free
trial ought to do it nicely.   http://hdtune.com/

So, what's filling up your hard drive?
http://snipurl.com/22cpgyk   [cnet dot com]

If you've got a little computer savvy this is a good check
to run on your system.   http://dcwg.org/checkup.html

Some interesting music from Foxtails Brigade.
http://foxtailsbrigade.com/

A useful resource for guitarists.   http://www.chordbook.com/

I like to have my own computer, as it were, wherever I am
so I carry copies of Slax Linux on LiveCD and LiveUSB...
http://www.slax.org/
...but sometimes I encounter a computer that simply won't
boot correctly from the CD or the USB drive.  In those
instances, I've discovered Portable Apps.  This is Windows
software designed to run from a flash drive, leaving no
'footprints' on computer system you're using.
Pretty cool stuff.   http://portableapps.com/

25 common writing errors.
http://tinyurl.com/6qmn74a   [collegeathome dot come]

The internet lost and found.   http://www.lostandfound.com/

Pick a font you like, name your own price for it.
http://losttype.com/

Pick any webpage and convert it to a more print-friendly
document.   http://www.printfriendly.com/

Create your own screencast tutorial.
http://www.screencast-o-matic.com/

Say it in llama (weirdness).   http://llamafont.com/

Do you know anyone who's a victim of domestic violence?
http://www.thehotline.org/
http://egeegaa.notlong.com [safehorizon dot org]

It's a blog but it's also a source of interesting
photography.   http://blog.flickr.net/en

End of Section Four.

We welcome all comments, suggestions, or
criticism.  The form doesn't access your
email client (it's a CGI form), so your
privacy is assured.  If you know of a
website that would be a good candidate
for this ezine, please pass it on via
our online feedback form.
http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

Section Five by Lisa.

Men who cook to impress.
http://goo.gl/Qel3O

Time travel, sort of.
http://goo.gl/5UBDu

What's a Homophone?
http://www.himandus.net/homophonymium/index.html

Ready to tighten those belts yet?
http://goo.gl/BDW8q

How to get men to ask you to dance.
http://www.salsacrazy.com/guideforwomen.html

'Oh, Internet' - A love song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mafimBTMTmY

Odd and unusual stuff.
http://oddstuffmagazine.com/

SketchUp competition winners.
http://goo.gl/jGp04

A very cool business card.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nywr_J_8NaQ

Don's favorite movie scene of all time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0rY3dn5kos

Alabama's got quite a problem.
http://isthisalabama.org/

Apparently, Hitler had a son.
http://goo.gl/EtGbq

Winning at everything.
http://winningateverything.com/

Beautiful art from carved books.
http://goo.gl/JGbf9

Don't sleep like you think you should?
Maybe there's a reason.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16964783

End of Section Five.

Archives for this ezine are available online here:
//www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/

The current issue is also available on our website.
http://www.don-guitar.com/currentissue.html

RSS feed is available via this link.
//www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/feed.rss

Section Six by Don.

Once upon a time learning how to do something
technical or complicated yourself meant a trip
to the library or bookstore.  These days you only
need a web browser to open a world of info.
http://www.diynetwork.com/
http://www.instructables.com/
http://www.bhg.com/decorating/do-it-yourself/
http://www.stylelist.com/home/
http://www.diyphotography.net/
http://gizmodo.com/diy/
http://www.doityourself.com/
http://www.automd.com/
http://www.alldatadiy.com/
http://www.chiltondiy.com/
http://www.haynes.com/
http://www.auto-facts.org/DIY-auto-repair.html
http://www.familyhandyman.com/DIY-Projects
http://www.popularmechanics.com/how-to/
www.onlineautorepair.net
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/  (got Volvo?)

Of course it is entirely possible to let DIY get
out of control.   http://thereifixedit.failblog.org/

Every wanted to learn how to program computers?
http://pine.fm/LearnToProgram/
http://bit.ly/z8GuvV [freewaregenius dot com]
http://www.codecademy.com/#!/exercises/0

Need some extra web space for images?
http://www.bild.me/

32 bit Windows XP users are a dwindling minority but if
you're on of them, Aida32 is a tool you might find useful.
http://majorgeeks.com/download181.html

Have you ever accidentally deleted a file?
http://www.filehippo.com/download_recuva

End of Section Six.

The Linux Corner.

Ubuntu Linux resources.
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/index.php

Up-to-date Linux info.   https://www.linux.com/

"Dream Studio contains all the apps you need to create
stunning graphics, captivating videos, inspiring music,
and professional websites.   http://dream.dickmacinnis.com/

Sure, you can buy a new computer with Linux already
installed and running on it.  Me, I'd rather buy a used
computer, on the cheap, and install Linux myself but if
you want to switch to Linux and aren't a hands-on type of
computer geek, here you go.
http://lxer.com/module/db/index.php?dbn=14

Convert your high-res graphics to low-res ascii art.
http://www.dyne.org/software/hasciicam/

A Little Humor.

If you're up for some reading, check this out.

Tips for This Issue.

If you've got plenty of computer smarts you'll find all
sorts of goodies on the Sysinternals site.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/

Ordinary users will find some useful info here.
http://goo.gl/gCx2 (makeuseof dot com]

A couple of tools for those occasions when your computer
seems to be doing something but you aren't sure what.
http://www.megaleecher.net/Free_PC_Activity_Monitor
http://www.whatsrunning.net/

Contributions from our readers and/or friends
are always welcome and you can even write
your own link descriptions if you wish (just
tell me when you send them if that's what you
intended).  Guidelines are available here:
http://www.don-guitar.com/descriptivetext.html

From our web-sibling Jo-Ann (Jo) Burton:

Organized oddities.   http://bored-bored.com/

Designboom is about the interface between technology and
art.   http://www.designboom.com/eng/

A badly designed website but the contents are very
interesting.   http://textplay.net/index.html

Go ahead, ask sister Mary Martha.
http://asksistermarymartha.blogspot.com/

TV nostalgia.   http://www.tv-signoffs.com/

Putting it simply.   http://www.realsimple.com/

A view from the fringe.   http://www.alternet.org/

A nation simulation game.   http://www.nationstates.net/

This site has gone to the dogs.   http://www.dogguide.net/

Blog-like triviality.   http://dailycandor.com/

Selected World War I draft registration cards
of famous, infamous and/or interesting persons.
http://www.archives.gov/southeast/wwi-draft/
Far more to explore.   http://www.archives.gov/

Careers for women in ancient Egypt.
http://goo.gl/VgR6 [bbc dot co dot uk]
Far more to explore.   http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/

Men's Health magazine.   http://www.menshealth.com/

World architecture news.
http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com/

From our web-sibling Norm Koeckritz.

There was something about this song that Norm
really liked but I don't recall what it was.
http://www.tomrush.com./video_remember.html

Portraits of Valor:  Tibor Rubin.
http://goo.gl/Vchan [greatamericans dot com]

From our web-sibling John Lepse.
( John's blog: http://hucknjim.blogspot.com/ )

How about some extra browser security?
http://goo.gl/SEL2b [techsupportalert dot com]
http://www.abine.com/dntdetail.php

The PianoGuys are super cool!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cgovv8jWETM

Manifesto, by Susan Cain.
http://goo.gl/GXOfw [thepowerofintroverts dot com]
More to explore.   http://www.thepowerofintroverts.com/

From our web-Dutch-uncle Roy (Grandpa Thorny) Thorn.

Roy has had a terrible time lately with malicious software
and has found malwarebytes to be a useful application
(hover over the word 'Products' to find the free version).
http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Thank you Jo, Norm, John and Roy.

Last word, from Lisa:

I've been having a blast learning to play my ukulele.
You'll be getting some links now and then.  I did find
out about one amazing performer, George Formby, who
was a megastar of his time, performing from 1921-1961.
He was a fascinating man.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Formby
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIwEgW5_aik

To those of you who think it's too difficult to take
up an instrument when you're 'older'; well, it's not,
it's the same amount of work it always was.  And do
read this article 'The Absurd Happiness of Ukuleles'.
You might decide to jump in with me!

http://goo.gl/ZqZxD

As always, the adventure continues,

Lisa

https://plus.google.com/101326359135790262301

Don on...

facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/people/Don-Crowder/1321324044

twitter:
http://twitter.com/eldergeek

blogger:
http://don-guitar.blogspot.com/

google plus.
https://plus.google.com/u/0/106370117092434105137

Don Crowder and Lisa Miller
Sunday, March 1, 2012
12:15 AM CST - Buchanan Lake Village, Texas, USA
Served by the U.S. Post Office
in Tow (rhymes-with-cow), Texas

Privacy:  We will never share, sell, or
otherwise compromise your email address.

Privacy Policy on our website.
http://www.don-guitar.com/privacy.html

Freelists.org Privacy Policy.
//www.freelists.org/privacy.html

The most important people on the Internet, for you and
I as computer users, are software developers.  The world's
coolest computer, without software, is like a car without
fuel.  It might look great, but what can it do?
It doesn't matter who produces the software you love
and use regularly, the developers of that software
need and deserve your support.

A bit of advice from Internet veteran Bayard J. Fox:

New computer users are often in awe of the things you can
get without cost on the Internet. There can be hidden
costs for the unwary. Use a 'throw away' email address to
register, and be constantly on guard against giving away
personal information. Use a firewall, and provide only
the barest minimum of information on questionnaires.

The Internet:  A Weapon of Mass Instruction.