[donspatch] 2012-01-01

  • From: "Don (& Lisa)" <dondashguitar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Donspatch <Donspatch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2012 17:31:52 +0000

#168 January 1, 2012 from http://www.don-guitar.com

Online version:  http://www.don-guitar.com/currentissue.html

Archives:  //www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/

First word, from Don:

Lisa and I seem to have less and less time to play on the
web and, just recently we've been extremely busy with all
sorts of projects so this issue will be a lot smaller than
usual.  We'll endeavor to prevent this from setting some
sort of precedent.

While I don't have a lot of links gathered, I do have time
enough to write so this issue may be a bit more "chatty"
than usual.

I think it's past time I reminded you how much we enjoy
hearing from you.  Whether it's compliments or criticism,
we really do appreciate knowing how you feel about this
publication.  It's ok if you don't have much to say.  Even
one short sentence is appreciated.  We want to hear from
you.

Normally I write these opening words after everything
else has been written but I've started here this time
and am not sure where I'll go from here.  So, let's
proceed to find out.

If I don't get it right, there's always next time.

Don

P.S.  Happy New Year!

Our feedback form and contact info:
http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

Don on...

facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/people/Don-Crowder/1321324044

twitter:
http://twitter.com/eldergeek

blogger:
http://don-guitar.blogspot.com/

google plus.
https://plus.google.com/u/0/106370117092434105137

Lisa on...

blogger:
http://thedirtgoddess.blogspot.com/

google plus.
http://www.google.com/profiles/101326359135790262301

Our email group is a low traffic, non-topical,
'hanging with friends' sort of email discussion
group available to our friends and subscribers.
If you'd like to join the discussion, or just
lurk and 'listen in', send us a message from
our contact page and let us know what email
address you'd like to be subscribed under.

Section One by Don.

My good friend Jody Proctor, who's in my band and
is one of the most talented musicians I've ever
been fortunate enough to work with, is also a
first rate computer service technician.  I was
struggling with a particularly sick Windows XP
machine the other day and wrote Jody a couple of
emails describing the problems I was dealing with,
hoping he'd have some helpful suggestions.  He
did help, in fact, but he also sent me a super
useful portal site for troubleshooting Windows XP.
He's also got info for Win 98.
http://www.webtree.ca/newlife/index.htm
There was also a link on his site to this one.
http://getvirushelp.com/

An interesting website that all about inexpensive
(as in "cheap") wines.  http://bumwine.com/

I've never heard of the "Ice Festval" before now.
Beautiful!   http://goo.gl/H58oe

Iconic photos from history.
http://goo.gl/UNxgN

I've decide to become a Jason Mraz fan.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfBJb90fDM
(he's a great entertainer!)

eBooks for kids.   http://meegenius.com/

The effect of time on technology is a little worrysome.
http://wrttn.in/04af1a

End of Section One.

This publication is only mailed to verified
double opt-in subscribers, and is brought
to you by me, Don Crowder, my wife,
Lisa Miller, and //www.freelists.org

Section Two by Lisa.

Love this from Zooey Deschanel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSq1cez_flQ

Woody Guthrie's New Year's Rulin's.
http://goo.gl/qu6QN

A story about best friends.
Not necessarily kid-friendly, but good.
http://wearebecomepals.tumblr.com/TOC.html

Like to blow stuff up?  Me too!
http://www.devastatingexplosions.com/

Find out all about airport codes.
http://www.world-airport-codes.com/

It's fun to do the free demo of this
virtual dissection program.
http://dissect.froguts.com/

You'll find out how to dance properly here.
http://www.zefrank.com/invite/swfs/index2.html

Bone marrow donation can be simple
and non-invasive way to save a life.
http://goo.gl/CFjAQ

Awkward family photos.  Prepare yourself...
http://pinterest.com/martneen/awkward-family-photos/

How to detect a two-way mirror.
http://goo.gl/OR0Xo

I like photobombs.
http://thisisphotobomb.memebase.com/

End of Section Two.

At the time this issue was posted,
the current subscriber count for
this publication was 361.

This issue's collection of online news, blogs,
magazines, videos  and/or other media related
sites.  These are chosen for maximum diversity
regardless of 'spin' and in some cases may
have offensive or questionable content.
http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/
http://arnoldit.com/wordpress/
http://www.starkravingmadmommy.com/
http://www.curvygirlguide.com/
http://www.dack.com/
http://openp2p.com/
http://www.sitcomsonline.com/
http://www.moviemaze.de/
http://www.somethingawful.com/
http://prorev.com/
http://definr.com/
http://www.cpj.org/
http://moby.org/
http://www.thebranflakes.com/
http://www.businessinsider.com/thewire
http://goodmenproject.com/
http://www.newslink.org/
http://www.buddyhead.com/
http://frozenly.com/
http://lmaoww.blogspot.com/
http://markdoesntunderstandanimals.com/index.html
http://www.occupytogether.org/
http://www.funnyjunk.com/
http://worldwidescience.org/
http://www.zotero.org/
http://www.intellogist.com/wiki/Main_Page
http://www.dmoz.org/
http://eresources.loc.gov/
http://deli.sarahleeandjohnny.com/
http://paper.li/muz4now/good2know
http://www.dearfuture.com/
http://goodnightdune.com/index.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/annalefler
http://www.officiallynoted.com/
http://sarahchurman.blogspot.com/
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/

Section Three by Don.

Were you aware that there might be a special day
for your name?  Mine is July 15th.  What's yours?
http://www.americannamedaycalendar.com/

The Time Top 10 Everything of 2011.
http://goo.gl/fQ1IP

Louie Schwartzberg on gratitude.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXDMoiEkyuQ

Vihart's youtube channel.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Vihart

Cimorelli's youtube channel.
http://www.youtube.com/user/cimorellitheband

Elvis Presley, Buddy Holly, Carl Perkins and Johnny Cash
(rare film).   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr497wmZOq0

A Linux computer (new) for $25?
http://www.raspberrypi.org/

How trackable is your browser?
http://panopticlick.eff.org/

25 clever ideas to make your life easier, from The Daily
Buzz.   http://goo.gl/Ti6T9
More where that came from.   http://www.thedailybuzz.com.au/

End of Section Three.

If you'd like to help promote this
non-commercial publication,
please forward this ezine to
anyone you know who might
appreciate it.  To spare them
the forwarding carets (>> these
things) I suggest you copy/paste
the ezine to a new email window,
or save the ezine as a text file to
be inserted, or copy/pasted to a
new email.

If you've received this publication
as a forward and wish to subscribe
you may easily do so from online
forms in either of these two locations:
http://www.don-guitar.com/subsmanager.html
//www.freelists.org/list/donspatch

Section Four by Lisa.

Beautiful paper sculptures.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJwf-J84CjE

The amazing Scotty Brothers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TS9ugnarQQ
More spoonin' wonderfulness.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoIZu211bE8

Why programmers (and other creative people)
work at night.
http://goo.gl/OZoWp

Do you know your memes?  Here's help.
http://goo.gl/K0WFe

If traditional Japanese artists did Star Wars.
http://www.retronaut.co/2011/12/samurai-star-wars/

News and views about education.
http://www.thedailyriff.com/

Line Drawings by Vasilj Godzh.
http://goo.gl/7Mwlw

Kevin Kelly's, Lifestream.  He's a techno-
philosopher, and fascinating.  Don't get lost in here.
http://www.kk.org/kk/

Ads from the past.
http://www.fadingad.com/fadingadblog/

Some assorted tips from Seth Godin.
http://goo.gl/9h8Gs

Very tiny things.  http://www.verysmallobjects.com/

End of Section Four.

We welcome all comments, suggestions, or
criticism.  The form doesn't access your
email client (it's a CGI form), so your
privacy is assured.  If you know of a
website that would be a good candidate
for this ezine, please pass it on via
our online feedback form.
http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

Section Five by Don.

Play a game why don't you?
http://www.onlinegames.net/
http://www.addictinggames.com/
http://www.miniclip.com/games/en/
http://www.popcap.com/
http://www.freeonlinegames.com/
http://www.candystand.com/
http://www.onlinegames.com/
http://www.onlineflashgames.org/
http://www.games.com/
http://www.playsushi.com/
http://www.crazymonkeygames.com/
http://www.bigfishgames.com/online-games/index.html
http://www.gamehouse.com/online-games
http://armorgames.com/
http://mostplays.com/
http://www.playedonline.com/
http://www.pogo.com/
http://packed.com/
http://www.freeworldgroup.com/
http://www.bgames.com/
http://www.gamenode.com/

End of Section Five.

Archives for this ezine are available online here:
//www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/

The current issue is also available on our website.
http://www.don-guitar.com/currentissue.html

RSS feed is available via this link.
//www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/feed.rss

Section Six by Lisa.

Vintage paperback covers.
http://www.vintagepbks.com/

Good ways to trade in your old books.
http://goo.gl/kOBwV

A couple of videos for adults about our unmentionables.
http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/my-penis-and-everyone-elses/
http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/perfect-vagina/

Let Andy help you with your clothes.
http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/index.html

How to become wealthy.
http://www.claytoncramer.com/rich/BecomeWealthy.html

An index of the newpapers of the world.
http://www.newspaperindex.com/

A great blog about food and making
peace with it.
http://www.canyoustayfordinner.com/

How to become a Renaissance man/woman.
http://goo.gl/Nb0qQ

Ever wonder where your recyclables end up?
http://goo.gl/Ch66v

Some bests of;
Websites  http://goo.gl/d4RFk
Paper airplane  http://goo.gl/uoF4g
Countries  http://goo.gl/aOPPC
Airline seats  http://www.seatguru.com/
Photojournalism  http://bop.nppa.org/2011/
Places to work  http://bestplacestowork.org/
Rechargeable batteries  http://goo.gl/GhNUs
Photography stuff  http://photojojo.com/
Bubbles  http://goo.gl/GKk1Z

OnlyFree.net has been around a good long time.
http://www.ofree.net/

End of Section Six.

The Linux Corner.

Lisa and I have been using Linux as our full-time computer
operating system for about five years now and, while there
was a bit of a learning curve for me at least (as the
resident computer nerd), we've really gotten used to being
immune to computer viruses and malware.  I don't mean to
imply that Linux is totally immune to the bad stuff on the
web, it's just that Linux users comprise a very small
minority of computer users so there's no percentage, for
the bad guys, in trying to write malware for the Linux
platform.  Then too, Linux is, in fact, intrinsically less
vulnerable to malicious software and Linux users, in
general, are more web savvy than most computer users so
they're a lot harder to fool.  Nor do I mean to imply that
using Linux makes you smarter, it's just that someone who
already knows a lot about computers and is confident in
his or her abilities is more likely to be willing to take on
the necessary learning curve.  Do I recommend Linux for the
average computer user?  Yes, under certain circumstances,
I do.  Let me explain that in more detail:

1.  If all you use your computer for is checking your email
and surfing the web Linux would a better operating system
for you than Windows (or Mac).  Firefox (browser) and
Thunderbird (email client) are available as native software
in all major Linux distributions (each version of Linux is
called a "distribution, or "distro") and both are easy to
learn, even if all you've ever used is Internet Explorer and
Outlook Express.

2.  There's almost no chance you'll ever get a virus or
malware if you're using Linux (Lisa and I don't even use a
firewall or anti-virus softwares on our computers).

3.  With Linux, the operating system and all the software
available for it are totall free.

4.  In most cases, on any given machine, Linux is so quite
a lot faster than Windows so it's a little like like getting
a new computer for free.

The toughest thing for most Linux beginners to decide is
which distro to try, especially when each Linux user has a
different favorite, but KDE is the environment which most
resembles Windows and the most user-friendly KDE distro I
know of is Kubuntu.  Lisa and I have both been using Kubuntu
for several months now and we're both very happy with it.

The easiest way to try Linux is with a live CD (which makes
no changes to your computer).  The website will tell you how
to download and burn a copy of Kubuntu.
http://www.kubuntu.org/
If you don't have a CD burner on your computer, don't have
software to burn the CD or simply aren't confident in your
own ability to do so, just drop me a line, tell me what kind
of computer you have and give me your address.  I'll burn
a CD for you and mail it to you.

I'll even volunteer to be your personal Linux geek during
your Linux adventure if you wish.

http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

A Little Humor.

I thought I'd offer something different for this issue.
These are some funny videos but, because standup comedy
seems to thrive on abusing the language I've got to preceed
these with a disclaimer.  Some of these aren't particularly
family friendly, but they are funny.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgVjNZGo28E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljLSJUA2G-w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgMrX3r27KU

Tips for This Issue.

Tips for avoiding computer crime.
http://www.rbs2.com/cvict.htm

Video tutorials Windows, tips, computer training, Windows
help.   http://michaelmaardt.com/

Ivan Kristianto's informative blog.
http://www.ivankristianto.com/

Microsoft support for Windows 98.
http://support.microsoft.com/ph/1139

Contributions from our readers and/or friends
are always welcome and you can even write
your own link descriptions if you wish (just
tell me when you send them if that's what you
intended).  Guidelines are available here:
http://www.don-guitar.com/descriptivetext.html

From our web-sibling Patrick Barden.
( http://romanroadwalker.posterous.com/ )

An online address book?
http://www.egroovycontacts.com/en/
Note:  Lisa and I have been using the address book in our
google accounts as an online address and telephone books for
quite some time now.  I've heard nothing negative about
egroovycontacts.com but I've used google for years and
trust them.

Touched by a wild mountain gorilla (a video).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eXS0o6r-Wk

An innovative and very cool bridge (video).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0jWqziY3Kw

From our web-sibling Jo-Ann (Jo) Burton:

All about Horseshoe crabs.
http://www.ceoe.udel.edu/horseshoecrab/

It's about games and comics and stuff.
http://www.4colorrebellion.com/

If history ever needs an iconic image for the
nineteen-sixties this emblem should work nicely.
http://www.happybirthdaypeace.com/

Let's eat.  http://www.culinate.com/

A destination for sports fans.
http://www.fannation.com/

A destination for movie fans.
http://www.thedeadbolt.com/

A playful place to hang out.
http://www.2flashgames.com/

Make your own candy heart (should be handy in  a
couple of months).   http://www.acme.com/heartmaker/

You can buy a fancy cursive font, hunt down a free one or
create your own.   http://www.fontifier.com/

If you're not feeling depressed, click on "view all" and
change.   http://www.despair.com/index.html

Ever wanted to write about something anonymously, just to
get it off your chest?   http://sothere.com/

Quick, say something nice.
http://quicksaysomethingnice.com/

According to them, it isn't a search engine, it's an
inspiration engine.   http://www.oamos.com/

I had to give up on this one.  Then instructions are in
fairly poor English and difficult to comprehend and I'm,
admittedly, not a very astute gamer.
http://luca-c-house.com/sweet-valentine-eng.html

An odd and eclectic collection of things.
http://www.wellcomecollection.org/

The Museum of International Folk Art.
http://www.carnavalexhibit.org/index.php

For Runners.   http://www.elitefeet.com/

Celebrating the American spirit.
http://www.americanprofile.com/

TV online.   http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/

The folks who made "big business" out of trading cards.
http://www.topps.com/

Greek mythology.   http://www.theoi.com/

Skary stuff.   http://skary.net/

Curse of the Simpsons (first I've heard of it).
http://curseofthesimpsons.com/

A good place to research digital cameras before buying one.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/

Free Role Playing Games.   http://www.1km1kt.net/

A guide to New York City subway art.
http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/artwork

http://luca-c-house.com/sweet-valentine-eng.html

From our web-sibling John Lepse.
( John's blog: http://hucknjim.blogspot.com/ )

An enormous collection of computer wallpaper.
http://wallpaperswide.com/

Whether you're a young student in need of tutoring or a
senior citizen who wants to brush up on things you missed
in high school, the Khan Academy may be able to help you.
http://www.khanacademy.org/

What A wonderful world With David Attenborough (video).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auSo1MyWf8g

From our web-sibling Irving Stein.

Playing For Change:  Awesome concept, awesome music.
http://playingforchange.com/
[Lisa and I have both DVDs and the CDs that came with them.]

One of the strangest clocks I've ever seen.
http://lovedbdb.com/nudemenClock/index2.html

Elizabeth Boston's "Ask The Computer Lady" ezine is a good
one, well worth subscribing to.  http://asktcl.com/

Thank you Patrick, Jo, John and Irv.

Last word, from Lisa:

Instead of making New Year's Resolutions this
year, I'm going to try to remember this every day.
Wait, that's a Resolution, isn't it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSq1cez_flQ

Well, there's an upside to everything, apparently.
I finally caught the cold that's been making the
rounds and was in bed for several days.  Did feeling
miserable keep me from getting bored?  Oh, no!  So
I hit YouTube and the flatware drawer and taught
myself to play the spoons.  What fun!  I've taken
inspiration from Abby the Spoon Lady, she's the
best of the best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wWQrtRNtOM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhggIC0D--4

I'll let you know if I ever get that good.
Meanwhile, alternative percussion is a legitimate
art form.  That's my story and I'm sticking to
it.  There's also the satisfaction that no one
can tell you that you're doing it wrong.

I'm closing out the year feeling very thankful
that, overall, all my dreams have come true.
Life is good, love is wonderful.

Wishing each and every one of you the same.

Lisa

https://plus.google.com/101326359135790262301

Don on...

facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/people/Don-Crowder/1321324044

twitter:
http://twitter.com/eldergeek

blogger:
http://don-guitar.blogspot.com/

google plus.
https://plus.google.com/u/0/106370117092434105137

Don Crowder and Lisa Miller
Sunday, January 1, 2012
11:35 AM CST - Buchanan Lake Village, Texas, USA
Served by the U.S. Post Office
in Tow (rhymes-with-cow), Texas

Privacy:  We will never share, sell, or
otherwise compromise your email address.

Privacy Policy on our website.
http://www.don-guitar.com/privacy.html

Freelists.org Privacy Policy.
//www.freelists.org/privacy.html

The most important people on the Internet, for you and
I as computer users, are software developers.  The world's
coolest computer, without software, is like a car without
fuel.  It might look great, but what can it do?
It doesn't matter who produces the software you love
and use regularly, the developers of that software
need and deserve your support.

A bit of advice from Internet veteran Bayard J. Fox:

New computer users are often in awe of the things you can
get without cost on the Internet. There can be hidden
costs for the unwary. Use a 'throw away' email address to
register, and be constantly on guard against giving away
personal information. Use a firewall, and provide only
the barest minimum of information on questionnaires.

The Internet:  A Weapon of Mass Instruction.