[donspatch] 2011-06-01

  • From: "Don (& Lisa)" <dondashguitar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Donspatch <Donspatch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2011 00:15:09 -0500

#161 June 1, 2011 from http://www.don-guitar.com

Online version:  http://www.don-guitar.com/currentissue.html

Archives:  //www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/

First word, from Don:

I don't think I could hold down a day job as a framing
carpenter but I'm making slow, steady progress despite
assorted splinters, aches, pains, sprains and owies.

It's once again time to remind you that the first issue
of this freelists publication was July 1, 2004 and that
your modest annual contributions offer us incentive to
continue this effort.  Especially now, when every dollar
I can get my grubby hands on is used to purchase more
building materials.  :)  Few things are more pathetic
than a 62 year old homeless guy so take pity on me.  I'm
not saying Lisa will throw me out if I don't finish the
house but I can say in complete certainty that my life will
be far less stressful when the house is finished.

I keep this link hidden in the website index and only
publish it once a year.

http://www.don-guitar.com/donations.html

I know I sound like the DJ on your local NPR affiliate
when I say that your contributions mean a lot to us but,
unlike the DJ, I only say it one time and then only once
a year.

Incidentally, in case you misplaced the link, you can
keep up with our home-building adventure by visiting
Lisa's Picasa photo-journal.

http://goo.gl/sWzc3

See you next time,

Don

Our feedback form and contact info:
http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

Don on...

myspace:
http://www.myspace.com/donguitar

facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/people/Don-Crowder/1321324044

twitter:
http://twitter.com/eldergeek

blogger:
http://don-guitar.blogspot.com/

google buzz.
http://www.google.com/profiles/dondashguitar

Lisa on...

myspace:
http://www.myspace.com/81825549

blogger:
http://thedirtgoddess.blogspot.com/

google buzz.
http://www.google.com/profiles/101326359135790262301

Our email group is a low traffic, non-topical,
'hanging with friends' sort of email discussion
group that's available to our friends and subscribers.
If you'd like to join the discussion, or just lurk and
'listen in', send us a message from our contact page and
let us know what email address you'd like to subscribed
under.

Section One by Don.

Social networking for moms.   http://www.circleofmoms.com/

Rare, obscure, strange and sometimes funny words.
http://users.tinyonline.co.uk/gswithenbank/unuwords.htm
Short stories with a sting in the tail and other diversions.
http://users.tinyonline.co.uk/gswithenbank/welcome.htm

Unusual words.   http://phrontistery.info/a.html
More where that came from.   http://phrontistery.info/

Equivocal words (words with two pronunciations)
http://goo.gl/gpV2k [www dot sc dot fsu dot edu]

Welding tips and tricks.
http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/

Just an ordinary guy with a goofy little dance, traveling
the world.   http://www.wherethehellismatt.com/

The World Memory Project (lest we forget).
http://www.worldmemoryproject.org/

A resource for families, educators and professionals to
connect and discuss the learning of children, birth
through age five.   http://www.earlylearningcommunity.org/

Blogging about obscure, rare and eclectic cinematography.
http://www.davekehr.com/

American history.   http://www.earlyamerica.com/

American music history.   http://earlymusic.org/

the interesting, amusing, not always family-friendly
website of Dr. Joe Schwartz.    http://joeschwartz.net/

Unusual homes, strange archictecture and strange places.
http://unusuallife.com/

Unusual architecture.   http://unusual-architecture.com/

Life in your words.   http://www.divinecaroline.com/

One way to cope with websites that demand registration.
http://www.bugmenot.com/

Google may be able make your cellphone more useful.
http://www.google.com/mobile/

End of Section One.

This publication is only mailed to verified
double opt-in subscribers, and is brought
to you by me, Don Crowder, my wife,
Lisa Miller, and //www.freelists.org

Section Two by Lisa.

Vast repository of accurate information.
http://www.accuracyproject.org/index.html

Most common US place names.
http://bit.ly/3tYMRY

Be a Guerilla Gardener.
http://www.guerrillagardening.org/

Pleated, folded, bent and knotted things.
http://www.pleatfarm.com/

Art is where you find it.
http://nybodyart.com/

Navy Seal honored with warship bearing his name.
http://bit.ly/iHT58t [navytimes dot com]

Have you seen those packing tape sculptures?
Here's how to make them.
http://www.wikihow.com/Create-a-Packing-Tape-Sculpture

Express yourself.
http://dearblankpleaseblank.com/index.php

What are *you* worth?
http://bit.ly/ibVgp8  [marketwatch dot com]

Ever heard of The Paperclips Project?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_Clips_Project

The best white noise for sleeping is rain.
http://www.rainymood.com/

Because we've had enough.
http://huff.to/elzU03  [huffingtonpost dot com]

A blog by a recovering lawyer.
http://leavinglaw.wordpress.com/

How we change what others think, believe, feel and do.
http://changingminds.org/index.htm

The Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
http://www.udhr.org/index.htm

A Helpful site.
http://www.helpguide.org/

End of Section Two.

At the time this issue was posted,
the current subscriber count for
this publication was 368.

This issue's collection of online news, blogs,
magazines, videos  and/or other media related
sites.  These are chosen for maximum diversity
regardless of 'spin' and in some cases may
have offensive or questionable content.
http://www.wowhead.com/
http://www.designswan.com/
http://www.dailylit.com/
http://www.podlinez.com/
http://www.phonezoo.com/home.do
http://www.podiobooks.com/
http://www.scribd.com/
http://www.packed-up.com/
http://geekredemption.com/
http://www.newser.com/
http://discovermagazine.com/
http://www.theblurb.com.au/
http://www.dailyblurb.info/
http://www.switchplanet.com/
http://www.sondheimguide.com/
http://mitziszereto.com/blog/
http://www.kwaku.com/blog/index.html
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/
http://www.nightgig.com/sweatshop/
http://drdobbs.com/
http://www.dianapeterfreund.com/
http://www.thenlifehappens.com/
http://www.escapeintolife.com/
http://vectroave.com/
http://www.sourharvest.com/

Section Three by Don.

Coupon codes for online purchases.
http://www.retailmenot.com/
Note:  Before making any online purchase it makes sense to
google for a coupon code.  If you find a valid code the
discount cost you no more than a few minutes of research.

Text message reminders for you cellphone.
http://bitbomb.com/

Games for you phone (or mobile computing device).
http://games.gamejump.com/WhiteLabelWeb/index.htm

A directory for direct human contact.
http://www.nophonetrees.com/

Spelling and grammar checking via the cloud.
http://www.qipit.com/

Need a wake-up call to your cellphone?
http://telepixie.com/

What you get when you mix movie reviews with social
networking.   http://power.listentoamovie.com/

Yet another site that purports to lower the cost of air
travel.   http://www.yapta.com/

This site automates the process of waiting for something
to go on sale.   http://www.priceprotectr.com/

A social networking site with contests and tutorials for
those who love to draw.   http://www.ratemydrawings.com/

A sort of dictionary with extra bells an whistles.
http://www.wordnik.com/

Another online video site.   http://videosift.com/

Think of it as a free and Open Source version of Skype.
http://ekiga.org/

Now this is an impressive online jukebox.
http://www.loc.gov/jukebox/

Freebyte has what appears to be a fairly up-to-date
list of costless AV and anti-malware products.
http://www.freebyte.com/antivirus/

You can publish your own book.   http://www.blurb.com/

There's not much chance for ordinary folks like you
and me to win it but the X-prize is still pretty cool.
http://space.xprize.org/

I use Firefox and Google Chrome on my desktop and on
my laptop and my bookmarks folders (especially the ones
I use for this ezine) are critical to me.  Xmarks keeps
them all synced for me.   http://www.xmarks.com/

End of Section Three.

If you'd like to help promote this
non-commercial publication,
please forward this ezine to
anyone you know who might
appreciate it.  To spare them
the forwarding carets (>> these
things) I suggest you copy/paste
the ezine to a new email window,
or save the ezine as a text file to
be inserted, or copy/pasted to a
new email.

If you've received this publication
as a forward and wish to subscribe
you may easily do so from online
forms in either of these two locations:
http://www.don-guitar.com/subsmanager.html
//www.freelists.org/list/donspatch

Section Four by Lisa.

Better than Craigslist.
http://craiggers.com/#!/

Simple is good.
http://www.realsimple.com/

Non-advertising search engine.
http://askbluey.com/

The ultimate shelf-life guide.
http://www.stilltasty.com/

A way to find that stolen or lost camera.
http://www.stolencamerafinder.com/intro.jsp

A solid modeling web application.
http://tinkercad.com/

Anything you need to know about philosophy.
http://plato.stanford.edu/

Web-based editors to code directly from your browser.
http://bit.ly/fteNqU [smashingapps dot com]

Save and share images from anywhere on the web.
http://mlkshk.com/

A  year of slow cooking.  http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/

Is there such thing as privacy these days?
http://epic.org/

We need awesome people, and they're out there.
http://awesomepeople.com/

Freaky cool shoes.
http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/index.htm

Tony Bradley spends 30 days with Google Docs.
http://bit.ly/mlTzcn  [pcworld dot com]

I found a great YouTube Channel for cooking
Cuban/Spanish foods, The Hungry Cuban.
We all know it's about the food.
http://www.youtube.com/user/fitcoach2007#p/u

4 Free conference calling services.
http://mashable.com/2011/04/17/4-conference-call-services/

End of Section Four.

We welcome all comments, suggestions, or
criticism.  The form doesn't access your
email client (it's a CGI form), so your
privacy is assured.  If you know of a
website that would be a good candidate
for this ezine, please pass it on via
our online feedback form.
http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

Section Five by Don.

A  nice Physics resource from Georgia State University.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html

Topical social networking.
http://www.wikia.com/Special:LandingPage

Daily writing tips.   http://www.dailywritingtips.com/

More writing resources.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HomePage

No matter which electronic book reader you have,
Project Gutenberg has something to offer you.
http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

It's about Spain.   http://www.notesfromspain.com/

Fab Labs are springing up all over the place.
http://fab.cba.mit.edu/
What is a Fab Lab?   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fab_lab

Do you think there's really a cure for cancer?
http://goo.gl/NWF1W [hubpages dot com]
http://goo.gl/OspDp [med dot ualberta dot ca]

The art of Linnea Strid.
http://www.linneastrid.se/
http://linneastrid.deviantart.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/linneastrid/

Social networking for lunch.   http://www.lunch.com/

Have you ever bought something you loved or
hated and wanted to make your feelings public?
http://www.ratings.net/

SameGame is a simple, challenging game that we enjoy on
our Linux system.  It can be played online; double click
any two or more identical tiles which are adjacent to
remove them from the board.
http://goo.gl/e7Yob [sirteddy dot com]
If you enjoy it, there are installable versions as well.
http://download.cnet.com/SameGame/3000-18536_4-10139998.html
http://members.chello.at/theodor.lauppert/games/same-win.htm

Cloud computing is the wave of the future and there are
Cloud Operating Systems available for installation, like
eyeOS or Jolicloud...
http://www.eyeos.org/
http://www.jolicloud.com/
http://www.lucid-desktop.org/
but there are cloud solutions which require no more than
the browser in your existing computer.
http://www.mygoya.de/us
https://amoebaos.com/
Theres even a cloud system you can install on your own
server and make accessible to folks on your network.
http://www.cornelios.org/
You can also use the cloud for simple file storage.
http://www.cloudme.com/en
http://box.net/
https://www.dropbox.com/
Google docs offers both cloud based applications and online
file storage.   http://docs.google.com

What do you love?   http://pinterest.com/

Anyone who's ever had to reinstall Windows knows that
you're dead in the water without drivers.
http://www.pacosdrivers.com/
http://www.windrivers.com/
http://www.nodevice.com/
http://download.cnet.com/windows/drivers/
http://www.driverguide.com/
Note: I make a habit of always checking for drivers on the
device manufacturer's website before looking anywhere else.

An information archive.   http://www.indepthinfo.com/

Guitarist Pauline France is another of my many heroes.
http://paulinefrance.squarespace.com/videos/

Paper airplanes and boats.   http://www.origami-kids.com/

End of Section Five.

Archives for this ezine are available online here:
//www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/

The current issue is also available on our website.
http://www.don-guitar.com/currentissue.html

RSS feed is available via this link.
//www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/feed.rss

Section Six by Lisa.

A must-read for romantics.
http://bit.ly/mPlihS  [mustreadfiles dot com]

The CIA World Factbook can't be beat
for info about regions and countries.
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/

Helen Keller was much more than many of us know.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbCk_DQCOp4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv1uLfF35Uw

The history of food.  http://www.foodtimeline.org/

Thinking long-term.   http://longnow.org/

We're attempting to live a less-plastic life,
at least when it comes to food preparation.
It's not easy, but it's rewarding.  We own
Corning Ware and cast-iron cookware, yes!
http://myplasticfreelife.com/
http://lifelessplastic.blogspot.com/

Is it possible to learn a new language in a week?
http://www.collinslanguage.com/paulnoble/Default.aspx

A commercial, but fun retroware site.
http://www.classickitchensandmore.com/

Short stories for everyone.
http://www.short-stories.co.uk/

Save lots of money, and your clothes
smell heavenly.
http://www.laundrylist.org/

Shop Habitat For Humanity Restores
for home improvement items.
http://www.habitat.org/restores/

Mentoring the next generation of women writers.
http://www.girlswritenow.org/gwn/

Practical technology to make the world a better place.
http://www.rhok.org/

Lots of stuff about permaculture (easy, cheap, green living).
http://www.richsoil.com/

The recent tornado victims lost some of their
most treasured possessions, their photos.
http://www.youtube.com/facebook#p/u/3/ERMQgqEF0yk

Tons of useful tips.  http://www.tips.net/

End of Section Six.

The Linux Corner.

Linux just had its 20th birthday.
http://goo.gl/qlceL [zdnet dot com]

Backup solutions for Linux.
http://goo.gl/WHXR [thegeekstuff dot com]
http://www.backup-manager.org/

Trade magazine subscriptions & technical document downloads.
http://linuxforums.tradepub.com/

All about small Linux laptops.
http://www.linux-netbook.com/

Tutorials for Ubuntu, Fedora and Windows users.
http://www.liberiangeek.net/

Lisa's become a google junkie and is very excited about
Chrome OS (Google's cloud computing platform).
http://getchrome.eu/

A Little Humor.

I decided some construction humor would be appropriate for
this issue, in honor of my recent construction activities.
This is the first joke I found and I got a hearty laugh
out of it.  I couldn't see a reason to look any further.

--

Three contractors were touring the White House on the same
day. One was from New York, another from Missouri, and the

First the Florida contractor took out his tape measure and
pencil, did some measuring and said, 'I figure the job will
run about $400 for materials, $400 for my crew, $100 profit
for me for a total of $900.'

Next the contractor from Missouri took out his tape
measure and pencil, did some quick calculations and said,
'Looks like $300 for materials, $300 for my crew, and $100
profit for me for a total of $700.'

Finally, the guard asks the New York contractor for his
bid. Without batting an eye, the contractor said, '$2,700.'

The guard, incredulous, looks at him and says, 'You didn't
even measure like the other guys! How did you come up with
such a high figure?'

'Easy,' says the contractor from New York, '$1,000 for me,
$1,000 for you, and we hire the guy from Missouri.'

Tips for This Issue.

Need help with your medicare prescription drug costs?
http://www.ssa.gov/prescriptionhelp/

Need help sorting our your U.S. Federal Income Taxes?
http://www.irs.gov/help/article/0,,id=120193,00.html

Answers to your National Banking questions.
http://www.helpwithmybank.gov/

Have you become the caregiver for your parents?
http://helpwithmyparents.org/

Help with...
Cooking.   http://www.helpwithcooking.com/
DIY.   http://www.helpwithdiy.com/
Gardening.   http://www.helpwithgardening.com/
Management.   http://www.helpwithmanagement.com/
Computers.   http://www.helpwithpcs.com/
Giving up smoking.   http://www.helpwithsmoking.com/

Contributions from our readers and/or friends
are always welcome and you can even write
your own link descriptions if you wish (just
tell me when you send them if that's what you
intended).  Guidelines are available here:
http://www.don-guitar.com/descriptivetext.html

From our web-sibling Patrick Barden.
( http://romanroadwalker.posterous.com/ )

Here's a spiffy little online to-do list.
http://teuxdeux.com/

Create your own mailing lists.
https://fiesta.cc/

From our web-sibling Jo-Ann (Jo) Burton:

Humorous reading.   http://www.funnymos.com/

Sometimes consumer do get the last word.
http://consumerist.com/

User created music lists.   http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/

You may need to pack a lunch to visit this site.
http://www.everyoneforever.com/

Frankly I didn't go past the home page but the navigation
is very cool.   http://www.mhs.ox.ac.uk/smallworlds/

Interesting reading from Nancy Friedman.
http://nancyfriedman.typepad.com/

Nerdy web news and info.   http://webupon.com/

Consumer oriented eco-news.   http://ecoble.com/

Manly stuff.   http://artofmanliness.com/

Mike and Hilary are an unlikely pair of world travelers.
http://spothopping.com/

These guys are more-or-less odds-makers for the end of
the world.   http://www.impendingdoom.com/

Can't say how scary any of it is but some of this stuff is
decidely weird.   http://scaryideas.com/

Lotsa groceries.
http://www.seasoned.com/
http://www.seriouseats.com/

The art of Joel Robert Harris.
http://www.joelharrisstudio.com/

Daily photos of Paris.   http://www.parisdailyphoto.com/

From our web-sibling John Lepse.
( John's blog: http://hucknjim.blogspot.com/ )

Mark Twain's Interactive Scrapbook.
http://www.pbs.org/marktwain/scrapbook/index.html

Seven year-old Rhema Marvanne singing the Star Spangled
Banner.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrCvMTGs2u8

Our web-sibling Sandy Martin was knocked out
by the virtual tour of the Sistine Chapel.
http://www.vatican.va/various/cappelle/sistina_vr/

From our web-sibling Irving Stein.

Clark Howard is a consumer advocate.
http://www.clarkhoward.com/

Irv is a forwarding junkie and sent this in an email.
I used google to find the same piece on a website.
If Irv is appalled by the website maybe that'll help
him remember to send me a link next time instead of
a forwarded email.  :)
http://goo.gl/Otj1h   [truthbook dot com]

Reader and web-sibling Roy 'Thorny' Thorn has been our
irracible-grandfather-figure for the past few years.  He
seldom hesitates to express his strong opinions in lengthy
emails and, for the most part, we tend to share his
feelings.  He and his wife live in Joplin, Missouri where
they once had a nice home.  They're both ok and staying
with relatives but their nice home is now a pile of rubble.
We're sure happy y'all are ok Thorny.

Thank you Patrick, Jo, John, Sandy, Irv and Roy.

Last word, from Lisa:

This past month we've been doing something a little
different, but it's a natural evolution of our lifestyles.
We love to cook, like saving money and see how we can 'do
more with less'.  Recent studies have shown that no plastic
is good plastic when it comes to food preparation.  We were
about ready to replace our old scratched Teflon pans with
new ones and decided to use the cast iron and stainless
cookware we already have, while searching for a few more
pieces of stainless.  Here are some tips for buying and
using stainless-steel cookware;

http://missvickie.com/howto/cooking101/secret.htm
http://www.tammysrecipes.com/node/3677
http://www.squidoo.com/perfectscramble

and for using cast iron cookware;

http://goo.gl/b6FhU [discovery dot com]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRvwMiLqGhc

Notice I'm concentrating on eggs, because that's
a challenge that makes people turn to non-stick
pans.  If you know 'the secrets', it's easy.

I've discovered new food!  OK, new to me.  People have been
harvesting, cooking and eating cactus for many centuries.
The favorite is the nopal cactus, called Nopalitas when
prepared and cooked.  It's so delicious, free and
incredibly healthy.  I've cooked it many ways the past few
weeks, and got good reviews when I took Nopalita Salad to
Don's American Legion meeting last week.  Here are some
links that show how to prepare and cook it.

How to clean the thornless ones.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWX-X3y8-3M
And the thorny ones.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_0b0-rrbWo

Recipes.
http://bit.ly/mqrwNM  [allrecipes dot com]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFm7qWu1Hxg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SVd6zQEDQY&NR=1

Plenty more about cactus.
http://www.texascactuscouncil.net/

As usual, folks, we're always up to something!

'Til next time,

Lisa

Our feedback form and contact info:
http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

Lisa on...

myspace:
http://www.myspace.com/81825549

blogger:
http://thedirtgoddess.blogspot.com/

google buzz.
http://www.google.com/profiles/101326359135790262301

Don on...

myspace:
http://www.myspace.com/donguitar

facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/people/Don-Crowder/1321324044

twitter:
http://twitter.com/eldergeek

blogger:
http://don-guitar.blogspot.com/

google buzz.
http://www.google.com/profiles/dondashguitar

Don Crowder and Lisa Miller
Wednesday, June 01, 2011
12:15 AM CST - Buchanan Lake Village, Texas, USA
Served by the U.S. Post Office
in Tow (rhymes-with-cow), Texas

Privacy:  We will never share, sell, or
otherwise compromise your email address.

Privacy Policy on our website.
http://www.don-guitar.com/privacy.html

Freelists.org Privacy Policy.
//www.freelists.org/privacy.html

The most important people on the Internet, for you and
I as computer users, are software developers.  The world's
coolest computer, without software, is like a car without
fuel.  It might look great, but what can it do?
It doesn't matter who produces the software you love
and use regularly, the developers of that software
need and deserve your support.

A bit of advice from Internet veteran Bayard J. Fox:

New computer users are often in awe of the things you can
get without cost on the Internet. There can be hidden
costs for the unwary. Use a 'throw away' email address to
register, and be constantly on guard against giving away
personal information. Use a firewall, and provide only
the barest minimum of information on questionnaires.

The Internet:  A Weapon of Mass Construction.