[donspatch] 2007-02-01

  • From: "Don Guitar" <don@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Don's Patch" <donspatch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 00:29:58 -0600

Don's Patch #63 from http://www.don-guitar.com  February 1, 2007

First word, from Don:

I'm starting to get used to Firefox 2.0.0.1 and while it hasn't got
all of the features I'm used to, at least it's up-to-date and far more
secure than IE6.  Why, you ask, don't I just download IE7?
Well, it doesn't happen to be available for my Win2K Pro system.
Of course I haven't used IE for years but my browser-of-choice,
Slimbrowser, runs on IE components and to keep Slimbrowser
as secure as possible I need the very latest version of IE which,
as I mentioned, isn't available for Win2K.  I've resisted switching
to Firefox for a couple of years now but how could I continue to
hold out when even Microsoft is, in their own inimitable way,
encouraging me to make the switch?

Beginning with this issue I'm going to try to confine the Linux
stuff to a single section instead of spreading it throughout the
ezine.  That'll make it easy to skip for Windows die-hards and
more fun for Linux fans.

Have I reminded you lately that we want to hear from you?
Your input has always been, and will continue to be, very
important to us.  Criticism, comments, questions, suggestions,
links or just your thoughts and opinions on any subject that
matters to you are welcome and greatly appreciated by us.

Don

Don's feedback form:  http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html
Lisa's feedback form:  http://www.don-guitar.com/lfefo.html

Note:  I don't have the CGI forms back online but both contact
pages have email links and addresses on them.

Our personal news page.
http://www.don-guitar.com/babbleon.html

Don at myspace.com http://www.myspace.com/donguitar
Don's blog.  http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/eldergeek/

Lisa at myspace.com.  http://www.myspace.com/81825549
Lisa's blog.  http://blog.myspace.com/81825549

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

I understand folks who don't care to travel too far from home, being
one of them, but here's another take on the concept that never even
occurred to me; buying close to home.   It makes good sense but
I think it might be difficult to do.   http://www.100milediet.org/home/

Multilingual health brochures.
http://library.med.utah.edu/24languages/

Just another blog, but what a blog (check out the haiku).
http://www.auntcalamity.com/

If you're still on dial-up this may not be worth waiting for; a cute
little music video.   http://snipurl.com/18t7s

I'm not sure about this one, employment for persons inflicted with
wanderlust maybe?   http://www.backdoorjobs.com/

Is this what happens when muppets grow up?
http://bert.secret-wg.org/

This site makes a valid point.  The media treats weight-challenged
people very unfairly.   http://www.bigfatblog.com/

The art of John Bindon.   http://www.bindonart.com/

Bits of wisdom?   http://www.blinkbits.com/

a nicely done fan site for a comic strip which was once popular
in Scotland.   http://www.thatsbraw.co.uk/index.html

I didn't even know what "microfiber" was but now I know how
to clean it.   http://snipurl.com/18u6x

Mrs. Clean's house cleaning tips & stain removal (a wealth of
information here).   http://www.mrscleannw.com/tips/

Who's got an axe to grind?   http://www.commonvoice.com/

What is involved in a humane sustainable culture and how we
can get there?   http://www.context.org/index.html

I got this in a forwarded email and enjoyed it.
http://www.ipadventures.com/blog/archives/000415.html
Ken Camp is the man behind the blog where I found it.
http://www.ipadventures.com/

Feel like showing off your desktop?  Fair warning; a few of
these many not be particularly family friendly.
http://www.desktoproject.net/desktoproject/

I don't know, this seems a little "over the edge" to me.
http://www.dogster.com/

If you're as bad about reading End User Licensing
Agreements as I am, maybe this is worth the effort.
http://www.majorgeeks.com/EULAlyzer_d4759.html

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

This publication is only mailed to verified double opt-in subscribers,
and is brought to you by me, Don Crowder, my wife, Lisa Miller,
and //www.freelists.org

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

This site is... http://www.damninteresting.com/

A compendium of Asian art galleries.
http://www.asianart.com/galleries.html

Incredible Virtual Lab.
http://www.chemcollective.org/applets/vlab.php

A search engine that does not set cookies or track your
search habits, gives you greater exposure to low-ranking
websites (more variety) and you get over 300 results
from each search query without clicking "Next page".
http://www.devilfinder.com/about.php

A Print Screen utility.  http://www.gadwin.com/printscreen/

Dialog Box Assistant adds two extra buttons to your
Windows Open and Save dialog box, most recently launched
files and most recently accessed folders.
http://www.win-utilities.com/dba/

A career and job-search hub.   http://www.dice.com/

Lots of costless apps. Solway's Software Page.
http://theabsolute.net/sware/#screenit

A disk cleaner for Windows.  http://www.diskcleaner.nl/

Images of Chinese culture.  http://snipurl.com/17hqh

Find out what's hidden on your computer's hard
disk and recover lost or deleted data.
http://www.theabsolute.net/sware/dskinv.html

DIY Data Recovery systems.
http://www.diydatarecovery.nl/error404.htm

Radical Transparency, an intriguing idea whose
time has come.   http://snipurl.com/3yv1

Shareware and costless programs.
http://www.worldstart.com/software.htm

The best online photo management and sharing
application. http://www.flickr.com/

This site appeals to my miserly soul.
http://www.stretcher.com/index.cfm

A comprehensive shell for MS-DOS.
http://www.ritlabs.com/dn/index.html

Human Genome Project information.
http://genomics.energy.gov/

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

At the time this issue was posted, the current
subscriber count for this publication was 385.

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

This issue's collection of news/magazine/informational sites
(these are chosen for maximum diversity regardless of "spin" ).
http://www.tehachapinews.com/home/
http://www.oecdobserver.org/
http://www.rogueprojectleader.com/index.html
http://www.freerepublic.com/home.htm
http://www.sfist.com/
http://www.eschoolnews.com/
http://tech.v7n.com/
http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/
http://www.osnews.com/index.php
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/default.aspx
http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/
http://www.firstlist.com/
http://www.freespeech.org/

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Richard Harter's world is wild, wacky and full of wonder.
http://home.tiac.net/~cri/index.html

Here's where you can find all the nifty cool add-ons and
extensions for Firefox.   https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/

Masanobu Fukuoka was a Japanese farmer who developed
what many consider to be a revolutionary method of
sustainable agriculture.   http://fukuokafarmingol.info/

For people who live alone or with other people.
http://www.growinglifestyle.com/

Your ears can help you identify a hard drive that's going
bad.   http://snipurl.com/n3x5

Holy Bible Sketch Pad, the art of Deborah A. Reeder.
http://www.holybiblesketchpad.com/

Do you live in an older home, like we do?  What needs
fixing at your place?   http://www.allabouthome.com/

The art of Ann Telnaes.
http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/telnaes/telnaes-happily.html

A sure cure for boredom.   http://www.instructables.com/

Seems to be about food.   http://www.iteeth.net/

If you've heard of Ken Silverman and are a fan of the PNGout
plug-in in Irfanview, you might find it exciting that there are
versions for Mac and Linux.  I don't know from Kzip or Zipmix
but they're here as well.
http://jonof.edgenetwork.org/index.php?p=kenutils

A podcast for the new Linux user.   http://www.linuxreality.com/

Answers to your Linux questions.   http://www.linuxquestions.org/

 Bob & Judi always wanted to travel.
http://www.longpassages.org/

An odd "bloggy" sort of media site.
http://www.lowculture.com/

It's about making stuff and also about blogging.
http://www.makezine.com/blog/

Sarpy Sam is pretty clearly a "real" cowboy who lives somewhere
in the state of Montana.   http://nowherethoughts.net/sarpysam/

This site is great if you need help with, or information about
a modem.   http://www.modem-help.com/

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

If you'd like to help promote this non-commercial publication, please
forward this ezine to anyone you know who might appreciate it.
To spare them the forwarding carets (>>>>these things) I suggest
you copy/paste the ezine to a new email window, or save the
ezine as a text file to be inserted, or copy/pasted to a new email.

If you've received this publication as a forward and wish to subscribe
you may easily do so from online forms in these two locations:
http://www.don-guitar.com/subsmanager.html
//www.freelists.org/list/donspatch

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Probably everything you'd like to know about fishing.
http://sportsvl.com/water/fishing.htm

Ancient fishing techniques.
http://www.critfc.org/text/fishing.html

Bio and paintings of Vladimir Alexandrovich Serov.
http://www.allartclassic.com/pictures.php?p_number=123
http://www.abcgallery.com/S/serov/serov.html

This program will extract the messages from an Outlook
Express (5.0 - 6.0) mailbox and convert it either to
the standard mbox or the Outlook Express eml format.
http://freenet-homepage.de/ukrebs/dbxconv.html

Arguably the first weapon to reliably bring home
the bacon.   http://www.atlatl.com/

News, features, reviews and how-to's from CreativePro.
http://www.creativepro.com/front/home

Cake-mix cookies from a personal chef.
http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art46679.asp

"The Tree of Life is Self-Pruning".
http://darwinawards.com/

Derek Powazek is a very interesting person.
http://powazek.com/

Excellent beginner's guide to photography.
http://www.photonhead.com/

Disk Investigator finds all the hidden information
on your computer and can help with data recovery.
http://www.theabsolute.net/sware/dskinv.html

DIY Data Recovery.
http://www.diydatarecovery.nl/error404.htm

Well-presented course, resources and goodies for
HTML.  http://www.draac.com/

Advice and strategy for saving money.
http://www.stretcher.com/index.cfm

A comprehensive shell for MS-DOS.
http://www.ritlabs.com/dn/index.html

Make fascinating fractals.
http://snipurl.com/18jm6

Open Source Software projects.
http://www.drk.com.ar/index.php

Dungeon's and Dragons fan?
http://www.dndadventure.com/index.html

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Our feedback form: http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

We welcome all comments, suggestions, or criticism.   The form
doesn't access your email client (it's a CGI form), so your
privacy is assured.

If you know of a website that would be a good candidate for this
ezine, please pass it on via our online feedback form (link above).

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

A text "thingy".   http://mtirnanic.googlepages.com/

The (U.S.) National Housing Institute.   http://www.nhi.org/

I'm Only a Farmer (poem).
http://www.onthefarmradio.com/Only_a_farmer.htm
Pearls of wisdom.   http://www.onthefarmradio.com/pearls.htm
Farm radio.   http://www.onthefarmradio.com/

Advice on refurbishing / refinishing / repairing wood furniture.
http://thefurnituredoctor.net/

More advice and tips on furniture preservation and restoration.
http://www.refinishfurniture.com/

The rural image library.   http://www.eatimages.com/

I don't suppose there's anything too terribly interesting on
this site if you don't live in rural Washington state but I was
much amused by the spelling in the text of the flash animated
slide show on their home page.   http://www.ruralresource.com/

Chris McKibbin's awesome photoblog.
http://www.projekt1design.com/photolog/

Michelle Higa's blog.   http://slanted.org/

Candid, if sometimes impolite, commentary from Target
employees.   http://www.targetunion.org/

An Australian site detailing almost 200 high voltage and other
projects.   http://tesladownunder.com/index.html

A sort of wiki for frugal living.   http://www.thriftyfun.com/

Steve Beard calls his site a "truck stop for the soul".
http://www.thunderstruck.org/

An office humor comic.   http://www.workrfun.com/

A Los Angeles (CA) vegetarian web magazine.
http://www.vegparadise.com/

Windows Vista tips and tricks from Chris Pirillo.
http://snipurl.com/18uit

What do you know how to do that hardly anybody else
knows?  You should write about it here.
http://www.wikihow.com/Main-Page

Firefox facts.   http://www.firefoxfacts.com/

Exposing dietary and medical misinformation.
http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/index.html

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Archives for this ezine are available online here:
//www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/

The current issue is also available on our website.
http://www.don-guitar.com/currentissue.html

RSS feed is available via this link.
//www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/feed.rss

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Zoho Virtual Office.
http://www.zoho.com/virtual-office/index.html

Utility for creating accurate thumbnail images and
scaled-down/up copies.  http://www.fookes.com/ezthumbs/

The adventures of Echo the Bat.
http://imagers.gsfc.nasa.gov/echohome.html

Explore the world of art, science and history.
http://www.eduweb.com/portfolio/adventure.php

Good jewelry-making ideas at this commercial
site.   http://www.eebeads.com/

News, articles and opinions about electronics.
http://www.reed-electronics.com/electronicnews/

It all ends up in the E-Mail Junkyard.
http://www.emailjunkyard.com/index.cgi

Environmental News Network.  http://www.enn.com/

Two tools to record and simplify installations.
http://www.epsilonsquared.com/

Jump into creativity with CSS.
http://meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/

Daniel D'Agostino's web site.
http://dino.shiftedphase.com/

I'm having a frugal-attack!
http://www.armhammer.com/brochure/
http://frugal.families.com/blog/
http://www.care2.com/channels/solutions/home/175
http://www.frugalfun.com/home.html
http://www.simpleandfrugal.com/

Free Enterprise Land, it's a good place.
http://www.freeenterpriseland.com/

Bunches of cool games and great clocks.
http://www.blinkyou.com/codes/flash/

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Websites everyone should know about.

These aren't sponsors, they're the best of Internet
publications and we highly recommend them all.

http://askTCL.com
http://luem42.com
http://www.langa.com
http://windowssecrets.com/
http://www.lockergnome.com
http://www.scotsnewsletter.com
http://www.tricksandtrinkets.com
http://marylaine.com/neatnew.html

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
Linux Corner
~~~~~~~~~

Yes Virginia, Linux users can have Internet Explorer too.
http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Main_Page

I don't necessarily agree with Clement Lefebvre's choices
for the top ten Linux distros but his reviews are thoughtful
and well written.   http://snipurl.com/18ukf

For months I've been scrounging hardware, a piece at a
time, to build my own PC based recording studio.  The
coolest thing about this project is my totally (costless)
Operating System (I'm using the 32 bit version).
http://64studio.com/

A resource for anyone interested in Linux.
http://www.newlinuxuser.com/

One of the more intimidating things about Linux, for new
users, is the Command Line.  Mind you Windows has
one of these too but most of us never bother learning
how to use it.  You can actually learn Linux without
bothering to learn how to use the Command Line as well
but when you set you mind to learning it's not so difficult
after all.  I'm slowly getting the hang of it anyway.
http://snipurl.com/18ung
The main site looks interesting too.
http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/

Linux offers plenty of alternatives to Windows but the two
most popular desktop environments are Gnome (officially
pronounced guh-Nome but it's ok to make the "g" silent)
and KDE (spelled out although, in fairness, I think it ought
to be ok to say kuh-Dee) and each environment has its
adamant supporters.  Lisa and I prefer KDE but our good
friend Lee Parmeter is a vocal supporter of Gnome.  I think,
in the end, it's a Ford-vs-Chevrolet sort of thing; everybody
has a preference but nobody has any real good reasons.
Anyhow, these sites go into some detail on the differences
between the two.
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/kdegnome
http://www.psychocats.net/essays/kdevsgnome
http://blogcritics.org/archives/2007/01/26/192056.php

Even though Linux is generally immune to the sort of evils
which plague Windows systems there are folks who expect
this to change as Linux becomes more popular and there
are many Linux distros being created with beefed up
security, like this one.   http://annvix.org/Home

If the thought of partitioning a hard drive is alien, or a
little frightening to you, skip this link, it's for experienced
users only.    http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

Grafpup Linux is a desktop operating system with a focus
on providing a complete and stable workflow for digital
imaging professionals and graphic artists in a very
compact package.   http://grafpup.com/

I'm pretty sure that English isn't the developer's first
language but Julex could be a very useful thing for
anyone who's experienced a total system crash.
http://julexlinux.sourceforge.net/

Knopperdisk is another tool that might be worth adding
to your computer-fixing kit.   http://knopperdisk.knopper.tk/

============== Humor =============

A florist went into a barber shop to get his hair cut.
When he reached for his wallet to pay the barber the
barber said, "Oh, I'm doing this for community service.
I cannot accept your money." The florist graciously
thanked him.

Next morning when the barber arrived at work there was a
thank you card from the florist and a dozen carnations.

Later that day a policeman came into the barber shop.
When he reached for his wallet the barber's reply was
the same, "Oh, I'm doing this for community service. I
cannot accept your money."

The policeman graciously thanked him.

Next morning when the barber arrived at work there was a
thank you card from the policeman and a dozen donuts.

Later that day a senator came into the barber shop. He
got a haircut and was reaching for his wallet when the
barber said, "I'm doing this for community service. I
cannot accept your money." The senator thanked
him and left.

The next morning when the barber arrived at work there
were a dozen Senators on his doorstep.

============== Tips ===============

Windows tweaks and tips from Doug Knox.
http://www.dougknox.com/index.html

Lots of useful information on computer hardware.
http://hardwarehell.com/index.shtml

Windows 95/98 information from Jan Steunebrink.
 http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/

======== Reader Contributions =========
Links from readers are always welcome and
you can even write your own link descriptions
if you like.  Guidelines are available here:
http://www.don-guitar.com/descriptivetext.html
=================================
From our friend Irving Stein.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1956 to 1960 Juke Box brought to you by the Briarcliff
Manor High School Class of 1960.
http://www.bobforrest.com/JukeBox.htm

A flash presentation.   http://www.thedashmovie.com/

WeatherMate is a little Windows app that gives you
instant access to current weather conditions and
forecasts.   http://www.ravib.com/wm/

While MS no longer offers updates or active support
for Win98 they do still offer some information.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/default.asp

Worthwhile images.   http://www.worth1000.com/

Recipes from McCormick.   http://www.mccormick.com/

Take the Monk-ish quiz.
http://www.usanetwork.com/series/monk/monkish/

An American icon.   http://www.girlscoutcookies.org/
The Recipes
http://www.girlscoutcookiesabc.com/atc/recipes/default.asp
http://www.littlebrowniebakers.com/cookies/recipes/recipes.html
Wikipedia dishes it out about the Girl Scout Cookie
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caramel_deLites
The History
http://www.girlscouts.org/program/gs_cookies/cookie_history/
Cookie Fun Facts
http://www.littlebrowniebakers.com/cookies/funfacts.html
What's your cookie personality?  Take this quiz to find out
http://www.littlebrowniebakers.com/cookies/personality.html

Type in your zip code to see how your city stands against
national averages.  http://www.bestplaces.net/zip-code/

The surprising thing is that he sold out at a dollar a pixel.
Here's the FAQ.  There's a Homepage link on the nav bar.
http://www.milliondollarhomepage.com/faq.php

=================================
From our web sibling John Lepse.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

a (costless) firewall app.

Tips and techniques for stress management.
http://www.davidposen.com/pages/tips/tips.html

Dealing with difficult people at work.
http://www.fabjob.com/tips180.html

37 Fads That Swept The Nation.   http://snipurl.com/18xct

A useful utility from Dennis Nazarenko.
http://www.tidystartmenu.com/index.shtml

=================================
From our web sibling Patrick Barden.
http://rrwbushangel.blogspot.com/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

National Library Service for the Blind and Physically
Handicapped (NLS).   http://www.loc.gov/nls/

SSCrabble anyone?
http://www.themaninblue.com/experiment/SSCrabble/

Crafty stuff from Disney.
http://disneyexperience.com/models/movie_machine.html

Patrick Barden, who is legally blind, is anything but disabled,
has a rapier wit, a ready laugh and is an incomparable digital
artist.  I offered him web space to showcase some of the
computer background images he's created and, as usual,
he went the extra mile by creating some brand new ones
for our readers.  You can find them here.
http://www.don-guitar.com/romanrw.html

=================================
From our web sibling Jerry Fox.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is an interesting visual panorama.
http://xrez.com/manifest/xRez_manif.html

Musical instruments made from um, bedpans.
http://www.keithcary.com/commodium/

A terrific resource for DIY musical instruments.
http://www.ehhs.cmich.edu/~dhavlena/

An amazing Bush impersonation (media intense).
http://snipurl.com/18xr7

=================================
From our web sibling Vinette DePhillipe.
http://360.yahoo.com/vinette1
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Vi says this is a fun place to hang out if you
have time.   http://www.gotoquiz.com/

Thanks Irv, Jo, John, Jerry, Vi and special thanks
to Patrick for sharing his awesome artwork.

=================================

Last word, from Lisa:

It's possible you've noticed that I usually list a link
or two to sites that feature the biography and work of
famous painters, Degas, Cassat, Manet, VanGogh, etc..
I keep a folder titled 'Art' for a rather ordinary reason,
the most famous paintings make wonderful wallpapers!
Here are some of my favorites;

Serov's "Girl with Peaches"   http://snipurl.com/18r8m
Degas's "Four Dancers"   http://snipurl.com/18r8w
Monet's "Waterlilies, gr.refl."  http://snipurl.com/18r91
O'Keefe's "Shell".   http://snipurl.com/18rag

...and on and on.  Make yourself a folder and knock
yourself out every day.

Lisa

Don's blog.  http://blog.myspace.com/donguitar

Our personal news page.
http://www.don-guitar.com/babbleon.html

Don Crowder and Lisa Miller
Thursday, February 1, 2006
12:30 AM CST - Buchanan Lake Village, Texas, USA
Served by the U.S. Post Office in Tow (rhymes-with-cow), Texas

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Privacy:  We will never share, sell, or
otherwise compromise your email address.

Privacy Policy on our website.
http://www.don-guitar.com/privacy.html

Freelists.org Privacy Policy.
//www.freelists.org/privacy.html

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

The most important people on the Internet, for you and I as computer
users, are software developers.  The world's coolest computer, without
software, is like a car without fuel.  It might look great, but what
can it do?  It doesn't matter who produces the software you love and
use regularly, the developers of that software need your support.

------------------- :-(   Begin promotional blurb  )-:  ------------------

Please rate this ezine at the Ezine Finder.
http://www.ezinefinder.com/vote.html?pub_code=donspa

You may also review us at BestEzines.com:
http://BestEzines.com/?id=898

A bit of advice from Internet veteran Bayard J. Fox:

New computer users are often in awe of the things you can get without
cost on the Internet.  There can be hidden costs for the unwary. Use a
"throw away" email address to register, and be constantly on guard
against giving away personal information.  Use a firewall, and provide
only the barest minimum of information on questionnaires.