[donspatch] 2006-12-01

  • From: "Don Guitar" <don@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Don's Patch" <donspatch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 03:42:58 -0600

Don's Patch #59 from http://www.don-guitar.com  December 1, 2006

First word, from Don:

Life has kept us awfully busy just lately but I did get around to
looking into the IE7 download and was surprised to find that IE7
isn't available for Win2K.  I bought this computer somewhere
around two years ago and paid over twice the price of XP Home
for Win2K Pro because I didn't want XP.  After reading negative
reviews from more than a few people whom I felt knew a lot more
about computers than I do I refused to buy XP nor have I for even
a moment regretted my decision.  Now there are reviews coming
in on Vista from people I trust, like this one from Chris Pirello.
http://snipurl.com/13pe4
I have even less interest in Vista that I have in XP and since the
handwriting is on the wall with regards to the future of my Win2K
machine it looks to me like Microsoft is doing all they can to help
me make the 'big switch' to Linux.  I wasn't ready yet, because I
know how to do mostly everything I want to do in Windows and
I'm still a fumbling newbie in Linux, but they aren't giving me too
much choice in the matter. I'll keep my Win2K system for as long
as it's supported.   http://www.cafeid.com/art-win2k.shtml
After that, I'll probably install a Linux OS on this computer.  Then
I'll have to decide if I want to acquire another Windows computer
but right now I can't say one way or the other about that.  As has
always been the case with Microsoft products, for me at least, I'll
make that decision when it's forced upon me.

We're still 'locked out' of our website, unable to add or alter any
of our pages but I should have us set up with a new web host
soon.  *shrug*   I'm trying anyway.  See you next time.

Don

P.S. The next issue will be the last one in 2006 and will be
published a few days before Christmas.  Pass on any thoughts
or observations you'd like to share with our readers.   What the
heck, we'd love it if you wrote our next issue.  *grin*

Don's feedback form:  http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html
Lisa's feedback form:  http://www.don-guitar.com/lfefo.html

Our personal news page.
http://www.don-guitar.com/babbleon.html

Don at myspace.com http://www.myspace.com/donguitar
Don's blog.  http://blog.myspace.com/donguitar

Lisa at myspace.com.  http://www.myspace.com/81825549
Lisa's blog.  http://blog.myspace.com/81825549

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

I have a lot of friends who are single and lonely.  If they're religious
I encourage them to go to a different church every Sunday, if they
aren't religious, I try to persuade them to join a singles club.  It's
not as much about meeting "that special someone" as it is about
simply having a social life and hanging out with other single people,
the more the merrier.  That being said, if you're something of a
risk taker or have an adventurous spirit, there are many websites
that can help you meet other single people, just be very, very
careful, meet only in public places until you get to know him or
her better and don't surrender any personal information beyond
your name and a 'disposable' email address to anyone you don't
know and trust.  You'll have to register with most singles sites
and that's ok, just give them a made-up last name and if they
require a mailing address give them a fake one.  Ok, now that
I've given you the disclaimer, here's the websites.
http://www.match.com/home/myhome.aspx
http://www.hookup.com/index.php
http://person.com/
http://www.date.com/
http://www.eharmony.com/
http://www.agematch.com/

Another problem that seems to plague people these days is
gainful employment.  Technology is gradually taking jobs away
from people.  That's how it is, that's how it's always been, and
it's a growing kind of thing; every year there are more jobs lost
to advancements in technology.  The number of jobs is falling
and the level of education and specialized training associated
with the remaining jobs is rising.  This hasn't affected entry
level jobs particularly, every convenience store and fast food
restaurant I see seems to have a "Help Wanted" sign in the
window but these are very challenging jobs, they don't pay
much, and not everybody looks good in a paper hat. *grin*
Here are some sites that might be helpful with employment.
http://www.consumersearch.com/www/internet/job-sites/
http://www.rileyguide.com/
http://www.4icj.com/

I remember when new car buyers went for whatever car they
thought was the 'coolest' but these days we have to consider
fuel economy and long term operating costs when buying a car.
http://money.cnn.com/2006/11/08/autos/cr_most_reliable/

640 X 480 videos on a multitude of topics (best with a fast
connection).   http://www.640480.com/home.html

Here's a fun little game where you get to throw paper wads at
your fellow office workers.  Just use my favorite bogus email
address to get in, fake(at)fake.com.   http://www.career.com.au/

The Network Abuse Clearinghouse.   http://www.abuse.net/

The Anti Defamation League.   http://www.adl.org/

A directory of all those little acronyms people like to use in
their email and instant messages.
http://www.aim.com/acronyms.adp?aolp=0

If you need answers, start with google, but if you want to
discuss the answers, or share your expertise with others,
start here.   http://www.allexperts.com/

American RadioWorks, media intense but interesting.
http://americanradioworks.publicradio.org/

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

This publication is only mailed to verified double opt-in subscribers,
and is brought to you by me, Don Crowder, my wife, Lisa Miller,
and //www.freelists.org

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

The last of their kind.
Sponge diver.  http://snipurl.com/13nn4
Marshman.   http://www.edp24.co.uk/Broads/asp/EricEdwards.asp
Yahi-Yana Indian.   http://www.nmnh.si.edu/anthro/ishitop.htm
Godfather.   http://snipurl.com/13ol7
Castrati.   http://www.compulink.co.uk/~velluti/cast-what.htm
Confederate son.   http://snipurl.com/13olt
Galapagos tortoise.   http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/george.html

Learn Morse Code in one minute.
http://www.learnmorsecode.com/

How to manage;
Geeks.   http://www.fastcompany.com/online/25/geeks.html
Smart people.   http://www.scottberkun.com/essays/essay28.htm
Your classroom.   http://www.nea.org/tips/manage/index.html

Some health problems may be preventable.
http://www.webmd.com/content/article/130/117597.htm
http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=77672
http://ndep.nih.gov/diabetes/prev/prevention.htm

The Andes Flight disaster in 1972 was a monument to faith, hope and the
human spirit.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uruguayan_Air_Force_Flight_571

Everything you need to know about the DOT.
http://www.dot.gov/

Copyright crash course.
http://www.utsystem.edu/ogc/Intellectualproperty/cprtindx.htm

Galileo, his time, his peers, his society and what his work
means to us.   http://galileo.rice.edu/science.html

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

At the time this issue was posted, the current
subscriber count for this publication was 340.

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

This issue's collection of news/magazine/informational sites
(these are chosen for maximum diversity regardless of "spin" ).
http://infowars.com/index.html
http://www.smh.com.au/
http://www.symmetrymagazine.org/cms/?pid=0
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/
http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/frontpage
http://www.tampabay.com/
http://www.tcsdaily.com/
http://www.theday.com/
http://www.thenation.com/
http://unionrecorder.com/
http://www.weeklystandard.com/default.asp
http://www.witness.co.za/
http://www.theblackmarket.com/

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

 Americans in Paris, 1860-1900.
http://www.metmuseum.org/special/Americans_in_Paris/

Doesn't seem to do much.   http://snipurl.com/13nzs

A virtual gallery of 19th century art.   http://www.artmagick.com/

The Baltimore Museum of Art.
http://artbma.org/exhibitions/online.html

Warning, naked people.
http://www.barewitness.org/
http://www.baringwitness.org/

Old scheme, new twist.
http://www.bbb.org/Alerts/article.asp?ID=436

Jodi lives in New York and is Jewish.  This is her blog.
http://www.jodiverse.com/

An interesting portal of reading matter collected,
and partially written by John Dickson.
http://www.cavcomp.demon.co.uk/bazaar/index.html

I had a great laugh the first time I saw this message on the
door of a computer room and I really enjoyed reading the
history and seeing the German version of it.  Check it out.
http://dict.die.net/blinkenlights/

Another online bible.   http://www.blueletterbible.org/index.html

The National (U.S. I assume) Book Foundation.
http://www.nationalbook.org/

Parable of the broken window.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parable_of_the_broken_window

Trends in browser usage, operating systems and screen resolution.

Children's Literature.   http://www.ucalgary.ca/~dkbrown/

The Christmas Story, from the Met.
http://www.metmuseum.org/explore/Christmas_Story/intro.html

College Scholarships, colleges, and online degrees.
http://www.college-scholarships.com/

The most common words in English.
http://www.world-english.org/english500.htm

This is probably a good idea but my first thought was;
Who watches the watchers?   http://www.consumerlab.com/

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

If you'd like to help promote this non-commercial publication, please
forward this ezine to anyone you know who might appreciate it.
To spare them the forwarding carets (>>>>these things) I suggest
you copy/paste the ezine to a new email window, or save the
ezine as a text file to be inserted, or copy/pasted to a new email.

If you've received this publication as a forward and wish to subscribe
you may easily do so from online forms in these two locations:
http://www.don-guitar.com/subsmanager.html
//www.freelists.org/list/donspatch

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª
The 5th and 6th grade class at Nettleton Intermediate Center in Jonesboro,
Arkansas, developed this excellent site about the Dewey Decimal System.
http://library.thinkquest.org/5002/index.shtml

Resources for caregivers.
http://www.loveyourparentstodeath.com/bc1a.html
http://www.care-givers.com/index.html#anchor
http://www.aoa.gov/prof/aoaprog/caregiver/caregiver.asp

Eric S. Raymond's home page.   http://www.catb.org/~esr/

The Jargon file.   http://catb.org/jargon/html/index.html

How'd you like to remember everything?  Are you sure?
http://snipurl.com/13ovg

*My* drug-of-choice.   http://www.chocolate.org/

Still my favorite translation site.   http://babelfish.altavista.com/

Go ahead and admit it, you like him.   http://www.barrynet.com/

The Endangered Species Program.   http://www.fws.gov/Endangered/

80's TV Supersite.   http://www.80stvthemes.com/

If you live for candy, or at least can't live without it.
http://candyaddict.com/blog/

Linux security for the extremely paranoid.  http://www.lids.org/

Reducing and eliminating domestic violence.
http://www.silentwitness.net/

Molly E. Holzschlag, web development work
and personal thoughts.   http://molly.com/

Complementary and alternative therapies.   http://naturalstandard.com/

The maturing of America.   http://www.n4a.org/pdf/MOAFinalReport.pdf

The Open-Source mind-set has expanded to include many facets of life.
Religion.   http://yoism.org/
http://snipurl.com/13ox2
Community,   http://www.eclipse.org/
Education.   http://ocw.mit.edu/index.html
Democracy.   http://wikocracy.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Political Campaigns.   http://campaigns.wikia.com/wiki/Campaigns_Wikia
News.  http://www.wikinews.org/

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Our feedback form: http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

We welcome all comments, suggestions, or criticism.   The form
doesn't access your email client (it's a CGI form), so your
privacy is assured.

If you know of a website that would be a good candidate for this
ezine, please pass it on via our online feedback form (link above).

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Crafts for kids.   http://www.enchantedlearning.com/crafts/

This is an annoying little game and it's in German so it's a fair
challenge just to figure out how to play it.  I'm a terrible driver.
http://www.danskebank.dk/link/parkeringspil

If you're a nut for statistics, here's a book full.
http://www.census.gov/compendia/smadb/

Desiree McCrorey's crafty how-tos.
http://desiredcreations.com/howTo_Desk.htm

Do-it-yourself projects and technology updates.
http://www.diylive.net/

There's a great deal to explore at the United Kingdom's
National Archives.   http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

I'm a bad pig drawer, are you?   http://snipurl.com/13olj

Educational games for kids.   http://snipurl.com/13olq

Election 2008 countdown.   http://election2008.tom-hanna.org/

Election reform activists.   http://www.electionline.org/

Stanford Initiative on the Environment and Sustainability.
http://environment.stanford.edu/

Manet and the Execution of Maximilian.
http://www.moma.org/exhibitions/2006/Manet/index.htm

If there's an eclectic sort of subject which you happen to know
a very great deal about, perhaps it would be profitable for you
to hook up with these folks.   http://expertpages.com/

Famous American Natives.
http://photoswest.org/exhib/faves/famsNAintro.htm

On the topic of converting files from one format to another.
http://media-convert.com/
http://www.zamzar.com/

Art and technology.   http://www.msstate.edu/Fineart_Online/

One of the ads on this page was, to me, repulsive beyond
description (blinking black, gray and white) but this is an
impressive list of online Flash games.
http://www.games1.org/

Geology dot com is cool.   http://geology.com/

More often than not, history has been built on pie in the sky.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/goldrush/

A blog that's about Google.   http://blog.outer-court.com/

A resource for pilots, the Great Circle Mapper.
http://gc.kls2.com/

Don't let this site go to your head.   http://headwize.com/

Interactive health tutorials.
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/tutorials.html

Remembering the Holocaust.
http://www.remember.org/
http://www.ushmm.org/
http://www.holocausttestimonies.com/

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Archives for this ezine are available online here:
//www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/

The current issue is also available on our website.
http://www.don-guitar.com/currentissue.html

RSS feed is available via this link.
//www.freelists.org/archives/donspatch/feed.rss

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Virtual Library Museums pages.    http://vlmp.museophile.com/

Websites for book lovers.
http://www.wblib.org/readerscorner/bookreview.html

The Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search.  http://www.mersenne.org/prime.htm

Email notifier that alerts you when you have new email.
http://www.poppeeper.com/

Adventures on the yacht Maiken.   http://snipurl.com/13p0x

Making Linux a little more fun.   http://linuxgazette.net/

Love Linux? Sit down and be counted!   http://counter.li.org/

For fans of mystery fiction.   http://www.themysteryreader.com/

Save, invest, and manage your money better.   http://www.mymoney.gov/

Offline NT password and registry editor.
http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/

Yeah, but who did it first?  A cover songs database.
http://www.secondhandsongs.com/home/

The geographic distribution of poverty.
http://www.ers.usda.gov/publications/err26/err26.pdf

Costless goodies from Lee.   http://www.leebies.com/

Online expeditions to wilderness areas of the world.
http://www.oneworldjourneys.com/

Lots and lots of games.   http://www.freeworldgroup.com/game.html

Science animations, movies & interactive tutorial links.
http://science.nhmccd.edu/biol/animatio.htm

If you love romance novels, this site is for you.
http://www.theromancereader.com/

A history of Peter Pan.   http://www.c20th.com/pphistintro.htm

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Websites everyone should know about.

These aren't sponsors, they're the best of Internet
publications and we highly recommend them all.

http://askTCL.com
http://www.langa.com
http://www.tourbus.com
http://www.lockergnome.com
http://www.neatnettricks.com
http://www.scotsnewsletter.com
http://www.tricksandtrinkets.com
http://marylaine.com/neatnew.html

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

What would you like to know today?
http://www.infoplease.com/

It's all about making stuff, and you can learn or
teach.   http://www.instructables.com/

A list of things that the IRS considers to be Hot Topics.
http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=97322,00.html

Photos and other stuff.  http://www.jetcityorange.com/

It's a musical thing.  http://www.keepingscore.org/

A couple of these things are costless.
http://koyotstar.free.fr/indexEn.html

What's the best Linux for beginners?  Here's an
article by Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols.
http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT5272648562.html

David Acosta's Fotodav.
http://www.fotodav.com/index2_en.php?

SITO is a website for individual and collaborative artists.
http://www.sito.org/

Sound Portraits (if you're on a dial up connection this one
may not be worth visiting).   http://www.soundportraits.org/

Unsolicited Commercial Email (UCE).  What is it?  What
can you do about it?  A mini-series.
http://www.ftc.gov/spam/
http://cc.uoregon.edu/cnews/fall2002/spamreport.html
http://spam.abuse.net/
http://www.silicon.com/research/specialreports/thespamreport/
http://www.cdt.org/speech/spam/030319spamreport.shtml]
http://www.cdt.org/spam/
http://www.usdoj.gov/spam.htm
http://snipurl.com/13p7w

Random images.
http://wallpaper.freestone-group.com/
http://www.gardens-to-go.org.uk/wallpapers.htm

============== Humor =============

Humorous Memorial

It is with the saddest heart I pass on the following: Please join me in
remembering
a great icon-the veteran Pillsbury spokesman, the Pillsbury Doughboy died
yesterday of complications from repeated pokes in the belly and a chronic
yeast infection. He was 71.

Doughboy was buried in a lightly greased coffin. Dozens of celebrities
turned out
to pay their respects, including Mrs. Butterworth, Hungry Jack, the
California
Raisins, Betty Crocker, the Hostess Twinkies, and Captain Crunch.

The gravesite was piled high with flours, as longtime friend, Aunt Jemima
delivered the eulogy, describing Doughboy as a man who never knew how
much he was kneaded.

Doughboy rose quickly in show business, but his later life was filled with
turnovers.
He was not considered a very "smart" cookie, wasting much of his dough on
half-baked schemes. Despite being a little flaky at times, he even still, as
a crusty
old man, was considered a roll model for millions. Toward the end it was
thought
he would rise again, but alas, he was no tart.

Doughboy is survived by his wife, Play Dough, two children, John Dough, and
Jane
Dough, plus they had one in the oven. He is also survived by his elderly
father, Pop
Tart. The funeral was held at 3:50 for about twenty minutes.

============== Tips ===============

Computer articles, presentations, and tutorials.
http://vlaurie.com/index.html

Photoshop and Flash tutorials.
http://www.tutorialized.com/

Computer Tutorials  for Teachers.
http://www.compusmart.ab.ca/alummis/

======== Reader Contributions =========
Links from readers are always welcome and
you can even write your own link descriptions
if you like.  Guidelines are available here:
http://www.don-guitar.com/descriptivetext.html
=================================
From our web sibling Jerry Fox.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

High speed videos, slowed down.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX6aerxQPOs

A cute little seasonal game.
http://ww12.e-tractions.com/snowglobe/globe.htm

Video of everyday things in when microwaved.
http://www.wontonway.com/microwave/microwave.html
Other oddness from the same source.
http://www.wontonway.com/

=================================
From reader and friend Foggy.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3D stereograms.
http://www.eyetricks.com/3dstereo.htm

A collection of gadgets built with, or into, Altoids tins.
http://www.makezine.com/blog/archive/altoids_and_tin_cases/
http://www.jetcityorange.com/AltoidsTin/
http://www.readymademag.com/feature_12_macgyver.php
http://www.instructables.com/id/EPPC376VIVES9J473W/
http://www.diylive.net/index.php/2005/11/05/altoids-pocket-amplifier/
http://desiredcreations.com/howTo_PJCoverAltoid.htm
http://www.headwize.com/projects/showproj.php?file=cmoy2b_add_prj.htm
http://candyaddict.com/blog/2005/11/02/things-to-do-with-altoids-tins/

=================================
From reader and friend, Irving Stein.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Where would you like to live?   http://www.findyourspot.com/

Need a bootdisk?   http://www.bootdisk.com/utility.htm

Brain dots game.   http://cognitivelabs.com/braindots_test.htm

Information provided by the FBI under the Freedom of Information Act.
http://foia.fbi.gov/index.html

IEToys.   http://www.bayden.com/ietoys/

Of and pertaining to Literature (descriptions by Jo) .

Literary Encyclopedia and Dictionary.
http://www.litencyc.com/

 Literary blogs.
http://www.complete-review.com/saloon/
http://www.chekhovsmistress.com/

Literary History.
http://www.literaryhistory.com/

Literary Locales has more than 1000 picture links to places
that figure into the lives and writings of famous authors.

http://www2.sjsu.edu/depts/english/places.htm

Literary Quotes.
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/literary.html

Find out which books and authors are winning all the Literary Awards.
http://www.bookwire.com/bookwire/otherbooks/Book-Awards.html
http://www.middlebury.edu/academics/blwc/bakeless

Learn about literary theory.
http://www.iep.utm.edu/l/literary.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Literary_theory
http://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~jlynch/Lit/theory.html

Literary criticism.
http://www.ipl.org/div/litcrit/guide.html

Literary analysis.
http://english.unitecnology.ac.nz/resources/resources/literary.html

Take a literary tour of Nebraska
http://mockingbird.creighton.edu/NCW/tour.htm

Visit this glossary of literary terms.
http://www.uncp.edu/home/canada/work/allam/general/glossary.htm

Become a literary traveler, taking literary themed vacations.
http://www.literarytraveler.com/

Take a literary pilgrimage.
http://www.terryballard.org/literar2.htm

Arts and Letters Daily is a must see for anyone who loves to read.
http://aldaily.com/

Today in Literature is a calendar of engaging stories about
literary history.   http://www.todayinliterature.com/

Browse though some online literary journals.
http://www.absinthe-literary-review.com/
http://www.litjournal.com/
http://calitreview.com/
http://www.greentricycle.com/

The Online Literature Library.
http://www.literature.org/

The Children's Literature Web Guide ( a favorite site of mine).
http://www.ucalgary.ca/~dkbrown/index.html

Carol Hurst's Children's Literature site.
http://www.carolhurst.com/

One more for children's literature.
http://www.childrenslit.com/

A Guide to European Literature.
http://www.lib.virginia.edu/wess/etexts.html

Medieval Literature (Jo is a confirmed addict of things-medieval).
http://www.luminarium.org/lumina.htm

Arabic Literature.
http://www.al-bab.com/arab/literature/lit.htm

African Literature.
http://www-sul.stanford.edu/depts/ssrg/africa/lit.html

English Literature.
http://www.english-literature.org/resources/

The Nobel Prize in Literature.
http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/literature/

Project Gutenberg:  Free books online.
http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

The Internet Public Library.
http://www.ipl.org/div/subject/browse/hum60.00.00

Here is a directory of literary journals.
http://www.zeroland.co.nz/literature_journals.html

Here is a directory for literary magazines.
http://www.newpages.com/NPGuides/litmags.htm

The Literary Biography Depository.
http://www.sc.edu/library/spcoll/amlit/litbio.html

This site tells you the birthdates of many authors past and present.
http://www.waterborolibrary.org/birth.htm

The History Channel's This Day in History (the literary pages).
http://snipurl.com/13s6l

This looks like a fun place for anyone that likes to write.
http://www.litkicks.com/

The Writers Guide.
http://web.uvic.ca/wguide/Pages/MasterToc.html

=================================
From our web sibling John Lepse.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Goodies.   http://www.concisefreeware.com/

Email etiquitte.   http://www.netmanners.com/

Eyewitness to History.   http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/

Science Now, from Nova.   http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/sciencenow/

=================================
From reader and friend Lee Parmeter.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Portable media players that are also Linux friendly.
http://www.cowonamerica.com/

=================================
From our web sibling Patrick Barden.
http://rrwbushangel.blogspot.com/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Get flaky for a good cause.
http://www.popularfront.com/snowdays/

Thank you Jerry, Foggy, Irv, Jo, John, Lee and Patrick.

=================================

Last word, from Lisa:

Recently we've been become more intensively involved in home health care
because Don's mom had a broken hip, has moderate dementia and has
been diagnosed with lymphoma.  I'm finding out there are numerous
resources and information available on the subject but one of the biggest
hurdles to overcome is the reluctance to ask for help.

This issue I've listed a few resources that may be useful, now or in the
future,
for caregivers..

People who are caregivers by nature often wait until they are exhausted,
depressed and plagued by feelings of resentment before they ask for help.
Help doesn't have to be a big deal; asking the patient's friends from church
to visit on a regular basis, taking the afternoon to visit a nearby friend's
house, calling another friend or relative and asking that person to help out
for a few hours, in other words, not feeling isolated, tired and alone.
This is help.  It's not selfish to maintain your body and spirits so you're
up
for the next challenge.

This past week or so much of the family has visited to see Mom, especially
Thanksgiving day.  I got to see family members I hadn't met yet, we got to
visit all day and rest and Mom got to be the center of attention.  We bought
and they brought food and washed dishes.  At day's end we'd had a
wonderful time, lots of leftovers and a clean kitchen.

Can we do this next week?

Lisa

Lisa's feedback form:  http://www.don-guitar.com/lfefo.html
Don's feedback form:  http://www.don-guitar.com/contactme.html

Lisa at myspace.com.  http://www.myspace.com/81825549
Lisa's blog.  http://blog.myspace.com/81825549

Don at myspace.com http://www.myspace.com/donguitar
Don's blog.  http://blog.myspace.com/donguitar

Our personal news page.
http://www.don-guitar.com/babbleon.html

Don Crowder and Lisa Miller
Thursday, December 1, 2006
3:45 AM CST - Buchanan Lake Village, Texas, USA
Served by the U.S. Post Office in Tow (rhymes-with-cow), Texas

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

Privacy:  We will never share, sell, or
otherwise compromise your email address.

Privacy Policy on our website.
http://www.don-guitar.com/privacy.html

Freelists.org Privacy Policy.
//www.freelists.org/privacy.html

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª

The most important people on the Internet, for you and I as computer
users, are software developers.  The world's coolest computer, without
software, is like a car without fuel.  It might look great, but what
can it do?  It doesn't matter who produces the software you love and
use regularly, the developers of that software need your support.

A bit of advice from Internet veteran Bayard J. Fox:

New computer users are often in awe of the things you can get without
cost on the Internet.  There can be hidden costs for the unwary. Use a
"throw away" email address to register, and be constantly on guard
against giving away personal information.  Use a firewall, and provide
only the barest minimum of information on questionnaires.

ªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªªª