[dokuwiki] Re: some general questions about dokuwiki

  • From: Christopher Smith <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 15:02:03 +0000

On 29 Feb 2008, at 12:49, Karl Loncarek wrote:

Hi,
currently I use PmWiki and I'm thinking of moving to Dokuwiki.
I had to use some plugins in Pmwiki to provide the base functionality
which is already included ind Dokuwiki.
Mainly I use the wiki as a CMS for some smaller homepages. I only have
one project with about 1000 pages.

For easier decision I have some questions about DokuWiki and I haven't
found any answers whereever I searched.

It would be very kind of you to give me some hints/answers. Thanks.

1. Is it possible to exclude some pages from search engine spidering? If
yes how?

robots.txt

for something more sophisticated you would need to write a plugin. A DW plugin could:
- modify robots.txt based on something on the page
- modify meta elements based on something on the page
- (possibly) modify the referring link to add rel="nofollow" tag.

2. Is there a conversion script or something from Pmwiki to Dokuwiki?
(Haven't found anything yet) If there is nothing I have to go the way
HTML->Doku (which will be a lot work)

Its not something I'm aware of.

3. Is there a way to host multiple wikis using one dokuwiki installation? I guess this could be done by setting "DOKU_CONF" and changing the config
files accordingly. But is this also possible with templates (Each wiki
uses a different template)? Is there a way to keep just one
wordblock.conf??

refer the wiki farm mod.
http://wiki.splitbrain.org/wiki:farm?s=farm

also check the mailing list archives, recently a wiki farm patch was posted on the list.
(I have no experience of either of these solutions)

4. What could be stripped from Dokuwiki to save space on the server?
(PMWiki uses about 600k space including documentation, Dokuwiki 5M)
I mean what belongs together, e.g. how to remove geshi,simply delete the
directory?? (I do not plan to archieve code snippets in my wiki)

remove unused language files for DW and plugins.

5. Is there a way (configuration) to save the files compressed? (The only other possibility would be to use gzopen) Or would this decrease access
time dramatically? (diffs are compressed by default as I saw)

DW saves all its attic files (old versions of pages) compressed automatically, you can choose between gzip or bzip (if available on your server). If you wish all the wiki files to be compressed you may well be better off using the OS/FS to handle the compression by locating the data directories in a compressed volume (or however your OS handles it).

As an aside, is space really at that much of a premium? With 1Gb ~= $0.35 its most likely cheaper to have more disk space than to spend time removing a few files here and there.