[dokuwiki] release cycle changes

  • From: Andreas Gohr <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2012 10:44:44 +0200

Hi *,

we're back from a great Hackfest in London. It was as always a lot of
fun and a good opportunity to talk about a lot of organizational
things as well. One of these things was our release cycle (or the lack
of a April release). After a bit of discussion we decided to do a few
things differently, which I'd like to outline here:

  * we still believe having two releases per year is the right thing to do
  * we'll call them spring and autumn releases which means no
commitment to a fixed month
  * instead we'll have fixed dates for the feature freeze:
    * 1st of March
    * 1st of September
  * feature freezes will be announced automatically via cron job
  * two weeks before feature freeze an automatic reminder is sent via cron job
  * a feature freeze will be followed by a bugfixing weekend/day

This will hopefully give us a bit better structure and motivation to
get releases out of time.

So what about the April 2012 release? There will be none. Instead
there will be an early Autumn release. And this means there's a
feature freeze immanent. Feature Freeze will happen on July the 16th
2012.

splitbrain.org