[dokuwiki] Re: plugin deletion

  • From: Myron Turner <turnermm02@xxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2011 09:29:15 -0600

On 2/6/2011 7:17 AM, Michael Hamann wrote:
Hi,

Excerpts from Myron Turner's message of 2011-01-28 14:19:23 +0100:
Not sure what the exact procedure is for requesting this kind of change.
   But I posted it to the bug tracker.

The bug tracker is a good place, discussing it here, too. I've applied
your patch, thank you for fixing that problem. Nevertheless I think it
is a bad idea to link to the media directory (or anything inside data/)
from a plugin because this basically disables the complete ACL
read-protection system for media files. There should be a really big
warning on the page of your plugin that your plugin disables ACLs for
media files. I've added a security warning on the plugin page on
dokuwiki.org. You also can't rely on .htaccess as people can use
webservers that don't support .htaccess.  From what I've seen your
approach also doesn't work in farm setups and when the data directory
has been moved to another place.

Michael
I should add that in fact the fckgLite filebrowser is more restrictive than the DW media browser since it requires write permission to view a folder. If the user does not have write permission the folder does not appear in the filebrowser display.

I would like to hear back soon because the security warning seems to me to be incorrect and/or misleading.

--
Myron Turner
http://mturner.org/