[dokuwiki] new server for *.splitbrain.org

  • From: Andreas Gohr <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 19:52:29 +0200

Hi all!

Some of you may have noticed the sometimes bad performance at
splitbrain.org - the thing is that my server is running at it's edge and
I'm thinking about replacing it with a bigger machine.

I wrote about this at my blog[1] and was thinking aloud if and how I
could do this without using too much of my own money ;-) My first idea
was of course hoping for a big corporation donating a powerful machine.
My second idea was to milk the big corporations on the indirect way
using ads.

Well both ideas weren't thought through completely, but I got some
feedback already asking for response from my side. I answered the
suggestions at [2] and promised to discuss this at the list at well. So
here I do.

From the feedback I got until now, I have two people supporting the
adsense idea and two disliking it. I'd especially love to get input by
those who are involved most in the project about this topic. (If you
like, using private mail to not clutter the list)

Please read the two links I provided to understand my motivations. And
please also note that this is *not* a plea for donations by anyone of
you (except you represent a big corporation ;-)) - I will buy a new
server anyway, even if we can't work out an idea to monetize the traffic
my pages gets.

Andi

[1]
http://www.splitbrain.org/blog/2006-05/22-dokuwiki_forum_and_sponsoring