[dokuwiki] jQuery dev

  • From: Michael Haschke <michael.haschke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 12:14:59 +0200

Hello list,

the newsletter remembered me that DokuWiki moves to a jQuery JS
implementation. I would have two feature requests/ideas what I already
inserted to the issue list of the dokuwiki-jquery fork mentioned in
the newsletter today. Hope this was the right place.

# Please use JS Loader to insert jQuery and all other stuff [1]

I would suggest to add a Javascript Loader on top. I can suggest
Head.JS as Loader lib but there are a bunch of similar projects,
someone may check out features and licences.

Advantages:

* Separation of PHP/JS logic: e.g. what script is needed when and how
is it inserted, clear distinction between libs, plugins and
configurations. It's also a benefit if PHP and JS components are not
mixed and can developed separately.

* Performance: JS Loaders enable several parallel requests for scripts
(even if newer browsers here better thatn the old ones) what is good
if a lot of Dokuwiki plugins bring own JS scripts

* Other Benefits: most JS Loaders can insert CSS what might be a good
feature for plugin authors, or good for JS components what need
additional CSS styles (e.g. jQuery-UI) what are senseless without JS

Disadvantages:

another 5-10kb to load but this should not be a problem compared to
jQuery+UI with around 200kb

# Add option to use a CDN [2]

It might be a good option if a wiki admin can load jQuery+UI from
another location like a CDN, to improve performance. Possibilities:

* a simple true/false config parameter to use the Google CDN sources
* config parameters to put own URIs in

[1] https://github.com/caillou/dokuwiki-jQuery/issues/23
[2] https://github.com/caillou/dokuwiki-jQuery/issues/24

regards,