[dokuwiki] Re: .htpasswd

  • From: Grant Gardner <grant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 May 2007 21:16:25 +1000

David M. Besonen wrote:
On Thu, May 3, 2007 3:46 am, Grant Gardner wrote:

David M. Besonen wrote:
is there anything i need to be concerned about wrt
dokuwiki functioning properly now that i've manually
edited it's root .htaccess file?

everything seems to work fine.  i'm asking to avoid
being surprised by a problem that i might not have
immediately noticed.
I've (re)written a dokuwiki authentication module to
use htaccess which is useful if you want dokuwiki to
know about your authenticated user.

in this case i'm using htaccess simply to limit who can view
the wiki with a single username/password combo.  once past the
htaccess users who want to edit the wiki will need to sign-in.

since it doesn't appear that the htaccess/htpasswd file is
auto-modified by dokuwiki, there is less value in using a
dokuwiki authentication module since doing so would require
manual editing of the htaccess and htpasswd files.

If I understand correctly you want a main group of users with view permissions but you don't want to administer that group beyond handing out a common password, and then specific users with edit permissions. Everyone else has no access.

I imagine this htaccess set-up should work for that but I'm not sure why you don't just set up a shared dokuwiki user "AnonUser" with read permissions. That seems to me to be less hassle for your edit users who otherwise have to log in twice, and these logins will get out of sync with each other depending on browser caching etc...

BTW. Irrelevant in this case but the htauth2 plugin does maintain the htpasswd file via the usermanager
There are a number of dokuwiki things related to ACL
and user manager that don't work fully behind BASIC
auth.

can you give some examples?  are any of them show stoppers
OpenRegister and ResendPassword are two but as I say they are related to the interaction between BASIC auth and dokuwiki's access control. In your case these are not tied together in your configuration so I suspect you'll be OK.