[dokuwiki] Re: feature: discussion (WP-like), necessary? and who helps to work it out?

  • From: Chris Smith <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 18:19:47 +0100

litwiki.de wrote:

Hi there,

I'm new. To this list. To wikis. To DokuWiki. And ... unfortunately ;) ... to PHP.
Hi & Welcome :)

$wikipath = 'http://www.litwiki.de/doku.php/'; // there must be a better way!

checkout
 DOKU_BASE - base url for dokuwiki
 DOKU_INC - base file system path for dokuwiki
and the other constants set in inc/init.php

wl()  - function to make a wikilink (iirc, inc/common.php)
getNS(), noNS(), wikiFN() -- all in inc/pageutils.php

If you come up against a problem and you feel sure it must have been addressed somewhere in Dokuwiki - it most likely has. Then go hunting for the appropriate function - which gives you the added advantage of automatically latching on to any upgrades in the DW code base.

While a discussion namespace may work, I think you are better off using the same name and using a different extension, perhaps .discuss (or even _discuss.txt allowing the discussion to be accessed as a wiki page). you would also need to think about some system to apply access control to the discussion page.

Cheers,

Chris