[dokuwiki] Re: bugfix or new feature: save button after every configuration section

  • From: Sander Tekelenburg <tekelenb@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 19:16:39 +0100

At 12:00 +0000 UTC, on 2008-03-28, Christopher Smith wrote:

> Would "To Top" or "To Bottom" or "To Buttons" links alongside each
> section go some way to solving this problem?

I'm not sure. Purely functionally speaking it would work of course, but I
suspect that it would result in a more cluttered look. (Which tends to
confuse users -- who might already be overwhelmed by all the options in the
admin section... :))

Ten years ago "to top" and "to bottom" links could be found on nearly every
web page. I suspect one reason that has mostly dissappeared is that designers
found it too cluttered. (Another reason no doubt was that they 'upgraded' to
Netscape's <frame>s... :))

So here again I get the feeling that the solution would be 'too big' for the
problem.

> IE6 aside, another alternative is an element containing the save
> button using position:fixed.

Yeah, that might work.

I personally still find position:fixed tricky to author. It's easy to
overlook things like unexpected user font sizes resulting in blocks
overlapping or wrapping in unsuspected ways. But there are greater CSS minds
than me, so perhaps this can be done well.

--
Sander Tekelenburg, <http://www.euronet.nl/~tekelenb/>