[dokuwiki] Wiki Farms

  • From: Chris Smith <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 14:16:05 +0000

Hi Andi, et. al.,

Would you mind if I prepared a set of patches to make DokuWiki farmer friendly?

My intention would be to make the changes neutral to stand-alone DokuWiki and transparent to templates/plugins. Ie, no changes in current file locations or directories, no need to know if a file comes from a central (farm) location or a local location.

My idea goes somewhat along these lines:

- assume farmer is competent systems administrator and not averse to making some changes in files and able to create file links if required.

- only support linux/unix servers as symbolic links can be used. Ideally the webserver or cron would be able to create links where necessary.

- use a define to control all farm specific code and prevent unnecessary file lookups in standalone wikis

- new configuration file chain:

default settings - dokuwiki.php
farmwide settings - master.php
local installation settings - local.php
protected local settings - local.protected.php
non-overrideable farm settings - master.protected.php

- farm copies of all other config files. e.g. smileys, abbreviations, etc. to be loaded after default files and before local files.

- farm wikis would run from a different start up script

I've not yet come up with an idea how to support both farm and local contents of lib directory.

Cheers,

Chris