[dokuwiki] Re: Using mail_icon.gif in another website

  • From: "Oliver Schulze L." <oliver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 15:15:51 -0400

Hi Andi,
many thanks for the explanation, I feel better after your "go ahead" ;)

Regards,
Oliver

Andreas Gohr wrote:
On Tue, 8 Aug 2006 14:46:39 -0400
"Bob McConnell" <rvm@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

It must be Groklaw rubbing off, but I need to correct this.

The GPL only covers computer programs. An icon, picture or image is
something else again, and would be covered under the Creative Commons
license.

No it isn't something else (except the author decides so). It's arguable if a 16x16 pixel icon is enough to be worth of a license, but since it's part of DokuWiki it falls under the same license as all the rest. Anyway no need to argue about this. The origin of the mail icon is the original Plone [1] style from which DokuWiki borrowed some ideas. Plone is licensed under the GPL as well so I guess the icon is covered by the GPL so go ahead and use it.

[1] http://www.plone.org

Andi

-- Oliver Schulze L. Get my e-mail after a captcha test in: http://tinymailto.com/oliver