[dokuwiki] Re: Using composer to add 3rd party libraries?

  • From: Mark Prins <mc.prins@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 13:50:05 +0100

On 08-01-15 16:22, Andreas Gohr wrote:
Hi *,

lately I was thinking about using composer to add 3rd party libs to
DokuWiki. Here are just a few rough thoughts and I would appreciate
your feedback on it.

Not being a core developer and experience with dependency management limited to the Java environment I can say that a dependencymanager really only starts to pay off:
- when there are (many) transitive dependencies
- when updates/release in the list of dependencies are frequent
- dependencies have well defined interfaces/API; so changes between released don't come with a lot of backward compatibility problems

That being said, if you were to "componentize" parts of DW it would pay off in easier to understand "parts" because encapsulation happens (not entirely sure how strong this scoping is in PHP).

Mark.