[dokuwiki] Re: Template Plugin proposal...

  • From: "Terence J. Grant" <tjgrant@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 11:02:31 -0400

I have looked at the plugin and read the thread. ;)

Ok, thanks :-)

My earlier point is that you don't need a code.php, use action.php which
will save you one line in your template and if you use a decide to a
event handler it'll save you the function_exists as well.
[...]
But as I keep trying to point out, Dokuwiki already has the mechanisms
to extend template functions.  They just need to be used. e.g. to add
button types and new action links, an event handled similarly to
template actions and TPL_ACT_UNKNOWN would do the trick.

Ok, I believe I understand now where you've been coming from. I didn't realize the tpl functions already had "action plugin aware" code in them in the current dev. (Again I only work with stable.)

You haven't anywhere explained the advantages of following your
suggestion.

My original thinking was expanding the core functions, adding new functions, generally for the whole idea of template functions to be less "static" in nature. I do agree that your idea has more promise though as any new template functions/libraries would be decentralized.

However I don't see what advantages accrue, apart
from organisation neatness, from having done that.

Organization and neatness played a big part for me, yes.

I'm satisfied with not pulling the template functions into a plugin
now as I originally proposed, but I still wonder, would it be sensible
to take out the tpl functions completely and call everything via
"trigger" then?

I realize this is still "pro plugin" (although action now), and I
understand there are some obvious cons related to API changes, but it
would be more generic then, wouldn't it? :-)

--
--Terence J. Grant(tjgrant@xxxxxxxxxxxx)