[dokuwiki] Re: Syntax change?

  • From: chris <jugg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 14:53:33 -0700

Andreas Gohr wrote:
The advantage I see in this behavior is that it would be a cure against
runaway markup. When you forget to close a formatting syntax it would
no longer destroy the whole page but would just format the affected
paragraph.

Any objections?

Personally, I prefer incorrect markup "destroying" the page... this way I know there is a mistake. ie. I prefer that a missing closing tag would produce some noticeable affect, and not just behave like all is normal.

However as far as formatting markup goes, what you are now defining as the rule, is that closing formatting tags are now only necessary when formatting sections within a paragraph. They are unnecessary when block formatting an entire paragraph. If that is considered valid markup, then great, if not, then it should be treated as invalid, and cause problems.

chris