[dokuwiki] Re: SimplePie

  • From: Tanguy Ortolo <tanguy+dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 16:10:44 +0100

Le samedi 20 novembre 2010, Andreas Gohr a écrit :
> > - Would this change be interesting, or am I wasting my time working on it? I
>
> No this is wanted. Even if SimplePie 2.0 doesn't bring any new
> features (I don't know) having a current SimplePie makes things easier
> for our Debian maintainer.

That is me. :-)

To be exact, the main reason to use the latest SimplePie is not to use
an outdated one, that may include security flaws.

For the maintenance of the Debian package, this is quite enforced by the
Debian policy, that requires detach embedded libraries from programs, to
use shared libraries instead. This way, when an important update is
introduced for a given library, their is only only one package to
update. This applies to DokuWiki: as you can see in the Debian source
package, I remove the embedded copy of SimplePie, and replace references
to it by references to files provided by the Debian SimplePie package.
And Debian only provides the last version of SimplePie…

Thank you Guillaume for taking care of that! I am afraid I am not
skilled enough to help very much on that task; in the meantime the new
versions of the Debian package will simple bypass the SimplePie
customization that used to be applied, in order to restore at least the
main functionnality (feed parsing).

--
 ,--.
: /` )   Tanguy Ortolo