[dokuwiki] Re: Short Presentation & anchors & last changes

  • From: Anika Henke <a.c.henke@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 00:00:49 +0100

Yann wrote:

On 3/11/06, Anika Henke <a.c.henke@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Guy Brand wrote:
On 11 March at 10:53, Yann wrote:
I wanted to know if there was a reason for the anchors to be written
like
this:

<h2><a name="blah" id="blah">Some title</a></h2>

Instead of:

<h2 name="blah" id="blah">Some title</h2>

I'm still not convinced that using dirty xhtml for odd browser compliance is
What is "dirty" about that??
"The old way" is absolutely valid and normal in HTML. And still valid, but yes, deprecated in XHTML 1.0. (And invalid in XHTML 1.1.)

At least, this is the way the W3C recommends it "to ensure maximum forward and backward compatibility" (http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#C_8).
Okay, I admit that was back in the year 2000 ...

a good thing.... Which browser in particular do not support anchors without
the name attribute? I'm still for using <h2 id="title"> anchors... Is there
any discussion possible? ;)

I do not really know which browsers do not support no-name-but-id-anchors. I only know about NN4.x and PocketPC IE ... What about screenreaders? Does anyone know more?!?

And there is the keyboard navigation bug in IE, that Chris Smith mentioned in a previous email.

If the amount of those browsers is considerably small, we could possibly switch to only-id-anchors. At least, that would not break DokuWiki for those browsers in general. It would only break the anchors -- and that is bearable for all "bad" browsers ... Isn't it?

I am no export on this. I cannot decide if the accessibility issues are small enough ...!? (And Uncle Google is just this once not really helpful.)

But *why* would you want to change this behaviour of DokuWiki? What benefit would it bring??
I see only two advantages: Less code. And we would keep up with time and prevent errors when switching to XHTML 2.5 SuperStrict someday ... ;-)

It seems the advantages and disadvantages are quite balanced: Of both just a few, and none of them really convincing ... :-|