[dokuwiki] Privilege Escalation Problem in DokuWiki

  • From: Andreas Gohr <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 20:32:14 +0200

Hi *!

Just send to the announcement list. BTW: Is everybody fine with me
copying the security announcements here? Or would you prefer getting
them via freshmeat only?

----

Just two days after the last security problem another flaw was
discovered. Luckily not as bad as the last one.

Andreas Åkre Solberg discovered a security flaw which allows registered
users to view page content they usually have no access to. The problem
is in the way how a successful user profile change is handled.

This affects only installs which have Access Control Lists enabled (off
by default) and restricted the READ permission for certain pages even
for logged in users. Non-authenticated users can not exploit this bug.

The package available at http://www.splitbrain.org/go/dokuwiki was
updated again to reflect the change but fixing it manually is simple,
too. Info on how to do this is available at
http://bugs.splitbrain.org/?do=details&id=825

Andi

PS: I apologize for the trouble. Unfortunately the bigger and complex a
software gets the more likely security flaws are. I try hard to avoid
common mistakes but sometimes a bug slips through. If you are an
experienced PHP developer I encourage you to have a look at the code
(preferably the devel code) your self to help spotting such weaknesses -
the more people check, the better it gets.