[dokuwiki] Re: Multiple plugins and templates directories?

  • From: Tanguy Ortolo <tanguy+dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 14:18:22 +0000 (UTC)

Andreas Gohr, 2012-01-04 15:04+0100:
>> So I wonder, would it be possible to allow having several plugins and
>> templates directories?
>
> No I don't think so. Could you simply symlink the packaged ones from
> /usr into the /var directory?

Yes but that would be more complex than what it could seem. DokuWiki is
mostly installed to /usr/share/dokuwiki, so the Web server gets
configured to serve that directory. Now, some directories are relocated
under /var/lib/dokuwiki using symlinks:
    /usr/share/dokuwiki/lib/plugins -> /var/lib/dokuwiki/lib/plugins
    /usr/share/dokuwiki/lib/tpl -> /var/lib/dokuwiki/lib/tpl

So, installing bundled plugins and template under /usr seems the best
thing to do, but it would be impossible to install them under
/usr/share/dokuwiki/lib/plugins and /usr/share/dokuwiki/lib/tpl since
these the two symlinks I mentionned!

Instead, they would have to be installed on other directories such as
/usr/share/dokuwiki/lib/plugins.orig and
/usr/share/dokuwiki/lib/tpl.orig:
    /usr/share/dokuwiki/lib/plugins -> /var/lib/dokuwiki/lib/plugins
    /var/lib/dokuwiki/lib/plugins/acl ->
/usr/share/dokuwiki/lib/plugins.orig/acl
and so on.

Well, that is starting to be quite awkward, better keep it as it is with
packaged files under /var, which is not ideal but at least can be
understood by the user, while two levels of symlinks with one with an
artificial prefix would not.

--
 ,--.
: /` )   Tanguy Ortolo <xmpp:tanguy@xxxxxxxxx> <irc://irc.oftc.net/Tanguy>