[dokuwiki] Re: Multiple admins and managers through ACLs

  • From: Andreas Gohr <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 20:54:52 +0100

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 11:15:23 +0100
Guy Brand <gb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Now before going further with the patch to allow such lists, I have a
> simple question : why not relying on our ACLs to identify the admins
> (and managers) or a wiki using ACLs?
>
> Using userlevel 255 (i.e. AUTH_ADMIN rights) in an acl.auth.php file
> is currently not very useful.

And is ignored completely. Why are people still doing this at all?

> Could we imagine that admins would be
> selected based on an ACL (or several) inside the acl.auth.php file?
> This would be more simple and more flexible:
>
>   *       john       255
>   *       alice      255
>   *       @admins    255
>   *       bob        255

This was supported in the very first ACL version, but it was NOT
simpler. To the contrary - it was the cuase of much confusion. We
decided to simplify the whole thing by introducing the admin user (like
the root user in Linux).

Admin rights are not related to namespaces and pages - they are mostly
related to access certain administrative functions like creating new
users or modifying the configuration.

> For wikis without ACLs ($conf['useacl'] = 0) we could go on with a
> single valued $conf['superuser'], but as soon as useacl=1 we could
> rely on ACLs to find admins (and managers).

There are no users or even a login without useacl.

http://www.splitbrain.org