[dokuwiki] Mod evaluation process

  • From: "Joe Lapp" <joe.lapp@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 17:53:34 -0500 (CDT)

Hey peoples,

I'm new to developing open source as a member of a team.  I've got reams of
tweaks that I've made to DokuWiki, most (but not all) of which I think would be
useful to at least some other people too.

What's the process for deciding whether a new feature belongs in the code base
or not?  Do you make decisions on this list first, before posting a patch?  Or
do you post the patch and then ask for forgiveness, subjecting yourself to
possible rebuke?

I use web mail and an email forwarding service and do not use a callable email
client.  I could probably set up a client on my machine, but it would have to
be under a special email address.  I'd probably have to set it up as an IMAP
server because I use several computers.  Is there an eaiser way to post patches?

Thanks!
~joe

P.S.  Here's a brief enumeration of the patches I have available:

(1) RSS changes per previous email to this list (use page header as RSS entry
title, start RSS entry description at first <p> of page).

(2) More flexible tpl_img() resizing, allowing actual size or resizing with
limit on just one dimension.

(3) Flowing thumbs (non-tabular) extension to gallery plugin.

(4) $conf['usedash'] causing DokuWiki to use dashes instead of underscores in
IDs (makes IDs such as red-spotted_ant_mimic more friendly when trying to
convey URLs verbally).

(5) $conf['toptoclevel'] controlling which TOC levels are displayed.  When
$conf['useheading'] is in effect and the first heading on each page is the page
title, that's redundant info that just takes up space in the TOC, reducing
horizontal width available to the more informative headers.

(6) 'nolink' parameter on image inclusions, so that {{image.jpg?nolink}} causes
the image to be included without linking to a details page.

I've made other changes too but haven't packaged them in a way that's useful to
others (yet).