[dokuwiki] Kudos

  • From: Tanguy Ortolo <tanguy+dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 14:37:33 +0200

Hello,

I have been using DokuWiki for some time now, and I am maintaining the
corresponding Debian package.

I just wanted to thank Andi and all the contributors for that great
piece of software. I think you can be proud of it, and I consider it as
a good example of what free software can be: simple, easy, clean and
modular.

Simple in its storage system: just directories and files with a markup,
no overkill database model.

Easy to install: just dowload and unpack (or install the Debian
package!), no database setup stuff.

Easy to use: just write **comprehensive** //markup//, no MediaWiki
'''''hell''''' with [external links] and [[internal|links]]. It is not
by chance that Creole markup [1] is so close to DokuWiki markup. :-)

    [1] http://www.wikicreole.org/

Clean: a DokuWiki website is clean HTML, and /can/ take advantage of
JavaScript and graphical browsers, without making them a requirement.
Such a wiki is usable by a blind person, for instance.

Modular: well, all the plugins…

I specially value the way DokuWiki is usable with a text-based browser
without any JavaScript. If it was coded by a company as a proprietary
software to be sold, it would never have been be so clean. Just compare
RoundCube webmail [2] to the tools used by some email providers such as
Orange [3]…

    [2] http://www.roundcube.net/
    [3] http://webmail.orange.fr/

Long life to DokuWiki!