[dokuwiki] Re: [Gsoc] REST ful API alongwith XML/JSON RPC

  • From: Pouyan Zachar <pouyanster@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 11:43:51 +0100

Hello Everyone!

> Here is a tentative look at the REST API corresponding to the current
> XML-RPC one.
> (https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?hl=en&hl=en&key=0AmMnneHmK7C3dE9tOVBJRTlXamVHaEMyMmdDRmNoclE&output=html)
>
> An important benefit in implementing this would be that it is possible
> to obtain content in a variety of different formats by changing the
> url only. e.g /pages/pageName will return raw wiki text while
> /pages/pageName.html will return it in HTML format. This can easily be
> generalized to include PDF, ODT, etc as they are generated on the fly
> (or possibly cached also).

I wanted to suggest the very same idea of a RESTful API but using a
different approach and meant for a different application. My main goal
was to utilize it to AJAXify the GUI, for example the search field.
Another important subject which I was considering was to implement a
structure to limit API requests (save bandwidth, security reasons) and
to authenticate queries either by using a key-pair approach (as used
by Amazon Web Services) or to authenticate using an API-Key assigned
to each host.

Another matter would be to introduce different response queries, for
example, most AJAX applications use JSON to parse responses but some
may prefer XML, so the idea is to provide different response
structures.

I would like to hear about suggestions
Pouyan Fotouhi