[dokuwiki] Re: Extending Translation Interface [GSOC 2011]

  • From: Andreas Gohr <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 20:32:00 +0100

Hi Charith,

> I'm a 3rd year university student with a PHP,Google Translation Toolkit and
> JavaSript background and also a reasonable amount of knowledge in
> Web Services .

Great, can you tell us a bit more about the projects you worked on before?

> I'm really interested in working on the "Extending
> Translation Interface" plugin . I would like to know your expectations
> regarding this.

Well, I assume you've already had a look at
http://www.dokuwiki.org/devel:ideas:translation

The basic idea is to replace http://translate.dokuwiki.org with
something better. It should be possible to not only translate
DokuWiki's core interface but give plugin authors a way to use this
service for their plugins as well.

The current method of creating zip files that have to be downloaded
and manually be sent to me or the translation interface is cumbersome
and not suited when we use the tool with 3rd party plugins as well. I
imagine having the tool to create git patches instead.

The simplest method would simply email the patch to the registered
"owner" of the plugin or to me in case of the core. A more
sophisticated method would commit and push the change to a special
translation branch at a remote git repository. Maybe a clone at
github. I'm not 100% sure how this should work. Finding a satisfiable
solution would be part of the project.

So, the minimum requirements are:

1) Making the tool usable for 3rd party plugin authors
2) Have some git integration by either emailing or a more sophisticated way

Finally it would be great to have an abstracted mechanism to combine
this tool with other translation services as listed on
http://www.dokuwiki.org/devel:ideas:translation, but that isn't my
primary focus.

splitbrain.org