[dokuwiki] Re: Dokuwiki in IE8

  • From: Anika Henke <anika@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 May 2009 20:28:19 +0100

Hi James,

James Lin wrote:
that's discouraging people to ask questions
It shouldn't discourage people to ask questions, it should encourage people to search for an answer before asking questions.

it makes people nervous about asking questions
I doubt that many people think that way.

Not all people are good researchers like you, and not everyone has a lot of
time to do research

I would hardly call typing "dokuwiki ie8" into google "being a good researcher". And it certainly doesn't need "a lot of time" either. I agree that proper researching for a difficult subject can take much more time. And even if the answer is out there, it often makes more sense to ask someone before wasting too much time. (For me that limit is at least 10 minutes.)

I agree that mailing list is very busy, but if an stupid question gets
answered, might saves someone a lot of time.

I never said the question was dumb or stupid. (Because it wasn't.) That's not the point at all.

Amount of time for someone one person to do a simple research: about 2 minutes. Amount of time for 500 mailing list readers (DokuWiki has probably much, much more) to read just the first message: 500 x 1 minutes.

The amount of time invested is the same for the person asking that question (because writing the email will take about 2 minutes as well). And in the case of the search he doesn't even need to *wait* for the answer.

I strongly believe in helping people to help themselves instead of presenting each answer on a silver tablet. That would not just be bad for us, but also bad for them. Mistakes are important. Without them we could never learn. But that also means that it's important to tell someone when he made a mistake. Otherwise he will never be able to learn. And for me, not helping someone to improve is doing him a *disservice* and causing much more damage.

It is true that I sometimes seem to lack the diplomatic sensitiveness. I am not sorry for having said anything. I am sorry if my words came across as tactless. But then, in order to learn from my mistakes, you could tell me how I should have worded it. (Telling me to not say anything at all is *not* an option.)

Anika