[dmusofties] Anyone remember FP and Haskell?

  • From: Paul Kennerley <kennerley_paul@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dmusofties@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 09:39:00 +0100 (BST)

Does anyone remember taking Dave Smallwoods Haskell
module? No, I didnt think anyone would forget, Im sure
that most people from se00 still have the mental scars
;-)

This might come as a bit of a surprise (and no, I
havent been taking mind altering drugs), but I
actually started doing a bit of Haskell last night. I
found an article on OSNews.com, and after reading
though that I downloaded Hugs and started to work
though the following tutorial:
http://www.isi.edu/~hdaume/htut/tutorial.pdf

Yes, I know that during the 2nd year I hated FP as
much as the next person (with the odd exception) but
after looking at it again last night I've started to
change my mind and I reckon that FP has some very good
ideas (no side effects, and once only assignment etc).

I've also noticed that FP has been mentioned on quite
a few blogs (the register, osnews  to name a few).
Maybe we will see FP being used more and more in
industry, if   so it might be worth taking a 2nd look
at it.

Paul

All New Yahoo! Mail ? Tired of Vi@gr@! come-ons? Let our SpamGuard protect you.
http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html