[dmusofties] Re: A Hardware question

  • From: Stuart Brady <sdbrady@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dmusofties@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 16:53:28 +0100

On Fri, Jul 21, 2006 at 03:27:06PM +0100, Michael Timoney wrote:
> here's the question he's also about to get broadband
> now can you connect a USB modem directly to the router
> or would it need to be connected to one of the
> networked PC's and then be shared accross the network?

I'm not sure, but it sounds unlikely that you'd be able to connect the
wireless router directly to the modem using USB.

Whereas with RS232, both sides are more or less equal, USB has a concept
of a central host that controls the devices that are connected to it.
You can't just connect two computers together with an ordinary USB
cable, like you would do with a null modem cable (or FireWire, IIRC).

I'd expect a similar problem connecting the modem and the router -- they
can't both be USB devices, as one has to be the host.  Even if they can
physically connect to each other, USB networking looks like it might be
rather hairy.  I wouldn't rule it out entirely though.

> And just incase the guy selling the service don't know
> what he's talkig about would it make any difference if
> the modem has an ethernet port?

If the modem and the router both have an Ethernet port, you should be
able to get them to connect directly.  If not, you can always connect
through one of the PCs instead.

I don't /really/ know what I'm talking about either, but I hope that's
of some use.

Cheers,
--
Stuart Brady