[directmusic] Re: Fade out and stop

  • From: "Ciaran Walsh" <ciaran@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <directmusic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 12:54:19 +0100

I posted this back in June in response to another question on the subject -
the script example is roughly what you need I think and is pretty
thorough...

For POW (PC and Xbox) I needed to use a lot of fades in and out for
conversations, cut
scenes etc, many of them events that were skippable. This meant I had the
problem of a fade in being triggered when a fade out was still playing,
causing an unpleasant stuttering as the volume controllers clashed. The
system I devised to solve this was very similar to what Bjorn has done in
his script but on a slightly larger scale as it's designed to accomodate
lots of different circumstances.

Basically I created what I call my FadeManager script which uses a set of
timer segments, variables and routine calls to keep track of the fades,
queue up any new fades triggered during existing fades and ensure there are
no clashes. Other than having a built in means of cutting off fades while
they're playing (any chance of this MS people?) it's the best way I could
think of. Here's a bit of sample script:

note: another script sets FType and calls FadeManager

Dim FType               ' Fade Type, in this case Fade In, Fade Out Short or
Fade Out
Long
Dim FT          ' true or false - whether a Fade Timer is currently playing
Dim FWaiting    ' true or false - whether there is a fade in the queue
Dim FadeVol             ' result of GetMasterVolume, used in FadeManager
routine to
establish Fade state

sub StartFT
        if FType = 1 then
                SetMasterVolume 0, 1500
                FadeTimer2.play IsSecondary     ' segment with call to FTOff
after 1500ms
(clocktime)
                FT = 1                          ' a Fade Timer is playing
        elseif FType = 2 then
                SetMasterVolume -9600, 1500
                FadeTimer2.play IsSecondary
                FT = 1
        elseif FType = 3 then
                SetMasterVolume -9600, 3000     ' segment with call to FTOff
after 3000ms
(clocktime)
                FadeTimer1.play IsSecondary
                FT = 1
        end if
end sub

sub FTOff
        FT = 0                                  ' Fade Timer has finished
        if FWaiting = 1 then                    ' if there's something in the
queue
                StartFT                         ' start next Fade Timer
                FWaiting = 0
        end if
end sub

sub FadeManager
        FadeVol = GetMasterVolume               ' what is current Volume
        if FadeVol = 0 then
                if FType = 1 then
                        FT = 0                  ' if the last fade was a Fade
In it's finished
                end if
        elseif FadeVol = -9600 then
                if FType > 1 then
                        FT = 0                  ' if the last fade was a Fade
Out it's finished
                end if
        end if
        if FT = 1 then                          ' fade must be in progress
                FWaiting = 1                    ' queue the new fade
        elseif FT = 0 then                      ' fade must not be in progress
                StartFT                         ' start the new fade now
        end if
end sub

I've tried  very hard to break this and it always seems to work! Pretty good
example of the kind of control you can have with scripting I reckon....

Cheers,
Ciaran