[directmusic] Compression: ADPCM?

  • From: "Paul Stroud" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <directmusic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 12:13:09 -0000

Hi all,

Anyone know if there is anything else that will compress my wavs into ADPCM
format other than DMP?

I've heard that this compression can sound a bit grainy or slightly harsh,
but an external editor, like wavelab, might be able to render my files a
touch more elegantly.

I was tempted to go the mp3 route, but this 2.1 second thing sound like a
real pain - is it DMP that adds the glitch on play back? If you encode in an
external editor and replace the runtime files, it must be in the play back
that the glitch occurs.

Is any of these compression formats more CPU friendly on decode?

Cheers

Paul