[desert-voice] FW: [CCB-Presidents] Braille Display?

  • From: "Linda Samulski" <desertblossom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <director@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <desert-voice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 10:38:14 -0800

                Passing this along.

From: ccb-presidents-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:ccb-presidents-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Margaret
Buchmann-García
Sent: Saturday, February 16, 2013 10:21 AM
To: Jeff Thom; Governmental Affairs Committee; CCB-Presidents@xxxxxxxxxx;
ccb-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [CCB-Presidents] Braille Display?

Dear Fellow CCB’ers,

I have been approached by a group of engineering students from UC Merced
regarding a project they are working on.  The class has been put into group
projects that need to address a special need.  The group that approached me
has been given a project to work on that can benefit the blind and visually
impaired community.  It involves the use and connectivity of Braille
displays.  Personally, I think it is great that these kind of projects are
part of a UC curriculum.  Here is their idea and what they are seeking:

“It appears that the cheapest option for a Braille touch interface is over
$1000 for what is essentially a Bluetooth keyboard.  We believe that there
may be a way to substantially reduce the cost of such a device.  There is a
large community online known as Makers, who enjoy building and tinkering
with technology.  One of the biggest enablers of this movement in the last
few years has been the rapid development of 3D printers.  The proposal is to
develop an open source design for a Braille reader, which uses a combination
of 3D printed parts and off the shelf components to put together a Linux
based Braille mini computer.  This would have both standard USB ports as
well as an HDMI output for connection to a standard large screen TV as well
as the Braille touch interface, which would allow for large screen viewing
and standard keyboard input, ideal for someone who is losing their vision at
a later age and wants to learn Braille before they completely lose their
vision.  Due to the Open Source nature of the project, it would also be easy
to modify the design for specific users and their needs.  A modular design
could allow for easy upgrades to more features at a later date.

We would like to get our hands on a Braille display or a Braille display
cell, a simple replacement single cell ideally.  We were wondering if you
knew of anyone that had to replace one and still might have a broken one
(ideally one pin not working, with the others still functioning).
Otherwise, would it be possible to order a single replacement cell?”

I confess that the technology they are talking about goes over my head.  I
am also not a proficient Braille reader and do not own a Braille display.
Any ideas or resources that I can pass on are most welcome.

Margaret
Yosemite Gateway Council of the Blind