[delphizip] Re: problem using AddDiskSpan option

  • From: "Roger Aelbrecht" <Aelbrecr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <delphizip@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 20:39:26 +0200

xmormur@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> hello to all
>

> I'm using BCB5 and TzipBuilder 1.76 (download recently)
>

> original program has OnProgress set to show progress.
>
> days ago I need to use AddDiskSpan and modified source accordingly.
>
> my surprise was that function OnProgress goes into case
> TotalSize2Process
>
> two times.
>
> the first time variable FileSize and and ZipFileSize have the real
> size to
>
> process but the second time this values where smaller.
>

> more info:  8 files (mov,avi,mpg types) (8 Mb)
>

> process is exactly the same, only AddDiskSpan is set or not.
>

> compress with no span:
>
>     get 1 zip file
>
>     OnProgress (TotalSize2Process) ZipFileSize=FileSize=8Mb
>

> compress with span:
>
>     get 6 files (5 of 1.44 Mb, 1 with rest)
>
>     OnProgress (TotalSize2Process at start) ZipFileSize=FileSize=8Mb
>
>     OnProgress (TotalSize2Process at end) ZipFileSize=FileSize=7.8Mb
>

> has anybody detect that?
>
> know someone what means the second value for ZipFileSize?
>

> One question more
>
> I have updated ZipMsgCT.rc and ZipMsgS1.rc to version 1.76, and
> commented a
>
> small bug detected on ZipMsgUS.rc with ZipMsg.h (ZipMsgUS.rc we find
>
> ED_SizeToLarge and in ZipMsg.h find ED_SizeTooLarge).
>
> Where I send this updates?
>

> many thanks at advance
>

> xavi

HI Xavi,

I looked into the reported problem with TotalSize2Process:

This is not an error but has been put in the code on purpose.

The first TotalSize2Process is the start of the compression

The second is the start of the disk spanning ( splitting the already
made archive in separate files)
The second TotalSize2PRocess is the size of the already made
archive.

The compression and the file splitting are two separate actions
in fact they can be started separately and therefore have their
own start and end of batch progress reports.

I did not test it but I think a similar situation exist when you extract
from a spanned archive, because the ReadSpan method has its own
start of batch (with TotalSize2Process) and the Extract method
has another one.

I admit that the help file does not state this clearly, and I will think of
a way to have this added to the help file

BTW the code in version 1.73 is the same for the OnProgress events in
WriteSpan en ReadSpan, so should have had the same effect.

HTH

Roger Aelbrecht
http://home.tiscali.be/driehoeksw