[delphizip] Re: Windows 64 bit, file names > 256 characters

  • From: RPeters <rpeters@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: delphizip@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2011 05:51:45 +1000

On 2/09/2011 10:30 PM, Allan Fernandes wrote:
> I just noticed that I cannot copy/rename these  files via Windows as well.
> Cannot create via Windows Expolrer ->  New ->  Text File.
>
> To create I had been making the file via Notepad and 'Save As'.
> I do not know how my client has created so many files, but he too cannot
> Copy/Rename.
>
> Seems that it is a Bug of Windows ?
>
> Request: Please take up issue of Enhancing the Encryption from Standard.
> everything else in Zipmaster is Simply Great.
There seem to be a number of bugs around that issue in Windows, in some
circumstances it can create names 256 characters relative to the current
directory but then cannot delete them - to do that you need to go to the
dos prompt, change the current directory and then delete.
Unfortunately, in Zipmaster, very early on the decision was made to
never change the current directory so everything had to be done using
absolute paths which are always subject to the MAX_PATH boundary.
Russell