[delphizip] Re: Problem with accented characters in file names

  • From: Robert Honkanen <ulf_honkanen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: delphizip@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 07:08:04 -0700 (PDT)

Hello everyone...

More about file names, some tests:

Today I have done more tests about file names. This is
what I found if it can be of interest for some of you:
I have a test file containing two non ASCII characters
on its name: an accented e (é) and a swedish ä. This
file was zipped with the DEMO1.

The file name is Detta är ett accénted dokument.doc.

The zip file is created without errors and the file
can be extracted with any of my tested programs, but
how the programs interpreted the file name is
different.

Tested programs:

WinZip 6.2
Winzip 7.2
Winzip 8.1
WinRar 2.7
WinRar 3.20
Total Commander (uses Info-Zip)
pkunzip 2.04
pkunzip 2.5
MyOwnZip (uses Kevin B-'s VCL ZIp)
Windows XP own unzipper
Stuff-it Expander for Windows (and EVEN tested on a
MAC)
Ark 2.1.9 on KDE 3.03 (Linux RedHat 8)

ALL these programs "wrongly" extracts and interpretes
the file name as: Detta õr ett accÚnted dokument.doc.

ZipGenious 1.4 (using the ZipMaster) reads it "right"
Midnight Commander on Linux interpretes it "right"
FileRoller 2.0 for Gnome (Linux) interpreted it OK
(uses the Info-Zip code)

The same archive created by ANY of the "wrong"
programs is "correctly" interpreted by any of the
others (INCLUDING  the same DEMO1 from Zip
MAster!!!!!)

To make the whole thing more complicated Christian
Ghisler, the creator of Windows Commander uses a
version of Info-Zip that creates archives "compatible"
with all the other programs (I mean, without the file
names problems).

Regards

UH