[delphizip] Re: Offtopic - Languages

  • From: "Roger Aelbrecht" <Roger.Aelbrecht@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <delphizip@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 18:30:45 +0200

James Turner wrote:
> I'm currently working on a lightweight application framework for
> Delphi. I plan to include tools for creating multilingual programs -
> my question is this.
>
> Keyboard accelerators are usually described in menus something like
> this :- Save Ctrl+ S
> Exit Alt+ X
> Widget Ctrl+Shift+ W
>
> Do I need to allow for translation of these descriptions or are the
> prefixes Ctrl,Alt and Shift used in all languages?
>
> Also, do I need to allow for the accelerator chars (S,X,W above) to
> be different in other languages?
>
> Thanks,
>
> James Turner

In Dutch you don't need to translate Ctrl, Alt, Shift, as they are
in these terms on our keyboards.
I would not change the S,X,W keys neither.
I got the impression MS did not change it in their translated
programs, and if people use programs of US origin with
languages modules then they are not changed.
BTW the internationalisation ( what a word) modules of
BCB don't change them.

The words Save, Exit, Widget etc.. need to be translated

Roger Aelbrecht
http://web.wanadoo.be/driehoeksw