[Debatewise RRT] Re: General election debates

  • From: Leo Capella <leo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 10:09:52 +0000

From: lacapella@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: debatewiserrt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Debatewise RRT] General election debates
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 08:32:05 +0000

Hi all

I'll take the Flower of Scotland (Independence of Scotland sorry!) debate to be
done over the weekend.

From Leo

From: alex@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: debatewiserrt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Debatewise RRT] General election debates
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 14:50:20 +0000

Hi all,

           It looks like the only different Scotland/Wales debates are about
independent (replacing the English parliament one) so rather less than I was
expecting. Still nothing on Northern Ireland. I will keep you updated if and
when I get any more debates.
These two should also go on http://electionuk.debatewise.org/

Alex

The Welsh Assembly should have the same powers as the Scottish Parliament
The Welsh Assembly seems like it is at a half way point between being an
insignificant regional forum and being a fully functioning Parliament. The
assembly has considerably less power than its Scottish counterpart. However if
it was to get all the extra powers in one go there would need to be a
referendum first and while more powers are popular a win would not be
guaranteed. It seems reasonable that Wales should be allowed to have the same
powers if they wish it, however it might ultimately be a slippery slope towards
a nationalist victory and potentially taking the next step to independence.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2007/jul/16/wales.devolution
http://www.parliament.uk/about/how/role/devolved.cfm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/wales_politics/8350333.stm

Scotland should become independent
Scotland has a long history as a separate kingdom and then a separate nation
under the British crown until 1707. The policy of the SNP, currently the
biggest party in the Scottish parliament is to ultimately gain independence. It
is argued that Scotland could survive perfectly well when an independent nation
especially as it would most likely be a member of the EU. However the collapse
of the Scottish financial sector during the banking crisis has shown that the
economy could be very weak under independence.
http://www.abdn.ac.uk/pir/notes06/Level3/PI3546/Keating%202007%20Scottish%20independence.doc
 (about half way down)
http://www.snp.org/node/240
http://news.scotsman.com/scotland/Diplomat-warns-of--.4534471.jp