[debatewisegypcc] Re: Greeting From Pakistan

  • From: David Crane <dc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: debatewisegypcc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 06:24:36 +0000

Hi Tarik,

Welcome to the list and thank you for becoming the Country Coordinator
for France.

About Google Wave.  Firstly, we wont be debating through email but on
http://wave.google.com.  We made the decision to go with Wave for a
few reasons, though it is not without its downsides.

The benefits of Wave are that it is a fantastic collaboration tool.
It is the easiest way for people to work on one document together, you
can easily edit points, see who's contributed, playback the coures of
events to see how the debate progressed, publish to other web sites
and utilise other tools we're building now.

There are also two benefits for non-native English speakers.  There is
a real-time translation tool (I type in English you see my words in
French - as I type).  However, we're not sure if this will be fully
implemented by December.  What does work pretty well is the
spellchecker.  Most spellchecks will only tell if the word is spelled
correctly, Wave's spellcheck will tell if it is spelled correctly in
the context of the words that surround it.  So a normal spellcheck
would tell you "I've bean to have been soup" was spelled correctly.
Wave knows that it should be "I've been to have bean soup" is the
right way.  This should make it easier for non-native speakers of
English to learn common usage of English.

The third benefit of Wave is that it is so new and we are so
privileged to get these 1,000 invites that we can get a lot of
attention for our project.  It makes us cool and this is doing wonders
for spreading the word about the Global Youth Project.

There are three main downsides.  It is very new and pretty buggy;
quite a few things don't work properly and we're going to need to be
patient with it.

People will need to get used to a new way of working, Wave is a
different environment and there will be some adjustment necessary.

The big downside is that can be quite slow, and I'm sorry to say more
so on slow connections or old computers.  I know a great many of you
don't have access to great technology and I am very sorry to say Wave
may make things more difficult for you.  We are working on ways to
make this better, but as with the above two downsides, we ask for your
patience and hope you agree that the benefits outweigh the downsides.

Dave

--
www.debatewise.com
020 3393 7223 | 07956 292 567