[ddots-l] Re: to dedicate or not to dedicate

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 19:30:31 -0000

Hi Ross,

Before you connect a PC to the Internet, there are three
vitally essential issues to consider.

1)  A Firewall
2)  A virus checker
3)  Anti-Spyware software

Without all three, it is like leaving the front door of your
house or apartment wide open, and asking everyone who comes
by to march in and do what they like in your own home.

First, check to see if your cable modem has a firewall built
in.  This essentially serves to prevent unwanted visitors
into the system, as well as some who may want to get out.
If it doesn't have a firewall, they you can obtain software
firewalls.  On that front, I suggest you ask Dancing Dots
for suggestions which will run OK with your system.

Second, virus checkers come in two flavours.  Free and paid
for.  All I will say here is that while the free ones are
good, there is seldom such a thing as a free lunch, and
personally I feel that $20 - $30 a year is a sound
investment for the likes of McAfee, which is one of the
better ones.

Third, Anti-Spyware software is available in the same two
flavours, but here either Spybot or Microsoft's offering are
indeed excellent value.  Personally I'm leaning in favour of
Microsoft, but at the present time it is lacking in
accessibility during setup.  However, if you can get sighted
help, I'd go for it every time.

George Bell.