[ddots-l] Re: mastering question

  • From: Chris Smart <chris_s@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 12:23:52 -0500

Hi Neville.

In that iZotope Limiter, Try a preset that is not as aggressive, like "Classical, light and responsive".

Unfortunately, we can't edit parameters in there, so you're right that learning to do this in Sonar, with a limiter plug-in on the master bus, is a better approach. No preset is going to work for all styles of music, or even individual tracks of the same style. Have you checked out the Boost11 limiter? It has only two sliders to fiddle with.

Also, in Sound Forge, check out the statistics of your file - alt+t then S. You're interested in two lines, one that lists the highest peak in your file, the other that gives the average volume (RMS). How far apart those numbers are, tells you approximately how much dynamic range your material has. The technical term for this difference is "crest factor".

Recent pop or hard rock albums seem to have -11 or less dynamic range, which is pretty extreme. That's why they sound so loud, and why your ears get tired of them quickly.

All the way to the other end of the spectrum, we get classical and other acoustic styles that have maybe 20dB of difference between peak and average loudness. The peaks are just as high as in the pop recordings, but the average loudness is lower, so they sound quieter overall.

If I'm working on rock or pop, I usually shoot for around -14dB RMS and peaking no higher than say 0.1dB. I go further if the client complains that it doesn't sound loud enough. But really, people should just turn up the volume on their stereo, iPod etc.

Chris