[ddots-l] Re: finale and GOODFEEL 3

  • From: "William R. McCann" <BillList1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 12:41:06 -0500

Hi, Lisette,

If he wants to upgrade to Finale 2006, he will find that Finale 2006 can
export to MusicXML.  As we at Dancing Dots still have not received our own
copy of Finale 2006, I don't know how to tell you specifically how to make
it happen but I can tell you that it's definitely possible because another
customer has done it.

If he has an older version of Finale, direct him to go to www.recordare.com
for their Dolet Plug-in for Finale which he can purchase, download and
install.  Once installed, he will find the "MusicXML" plug-in listed under
Finale's plug-in menu.

After the plug-in finishes its work, close Finale.

Run Lime 8

Press ALT+F, I, X, (File | Import | MusicXML).

From this point on, just press ENTER to accept whatever defaults Lime
suggests for page lay-out, staff per page, etc.  If Lime complains about
something,
for example that you have an illegal number in the Systems per Page field,
then enter a value in the field in question.  If it happens to be the
Systems
per Page, try entering the number 4.
If you use JAWS, you will know when the import is complete when you hear
JAWS say "Bar 1, beat 1"..

Now you can convert to braille by pressing ALT+F, G (File | Launch GOODFEEL)

Like all software, we know that the MusicXML feature is not perfect.  But it
is already extremely useful and we will continue to improve it in future
releases
of Lime.  I used the Dolet for Finale plug-in and Lime's MusicXML import
feature recently to automatically convert 5 euphonium parts to braille
without
*ANY* editing!

Regards,
Bill

P. S.  Did you know that GOODFEEL 3 offers you the option to place a bar
number at the beginning of every line for an instrumental part?  ALT+O, T
(Options|
Transcription Options).  Tab or SHIFT+TAB until you reach the checkbox that
says: "Begin each parallel with measure number".  Press space to toggle the
check mark.  Tab to Save as Defaults or OK button and press space bar or
ENTER.