[ddots-l] Re: external fx processors

  • From: Bryan Smart <bryansmart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 16:04:52 -0400

The only one that I use is the VoiceLive 2. I use it because there is nothing
on the computer in terms of a plug in that can even partially do what it does.
For general purpose stuff like reverbs, compression, and modulation effects, I
wouldn't bother. I've used guitar tone boxes like the Pod in-line when
tracking, since it is producing, for the most part, the tone that you'd get by
using a mic on an amp and tracking that.

I think, though, you're asking about effects to use during a mix. The VoiceLive
2 is the only one that I use in that situation: manually playing a melody for
pitch correction, adding or cutting vibrato, artificially creating background
vocals, artificially creating doubled voices, etc. V-Vocal is alright, but the
VoiceLive 2 sounds as close to real as I've ever heard. It is much harder to
operate, though.

Bryan