[ddots-l] Re: What Do The E-MU Proteus Packs Sound Like?

  • From: "Bryan Smart" <bryansmart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 19:09:06 -0400

The samples are older. However they play much more like a real synth
(including the emulation of the Proteus effects setups for the voice),
and aren't like the old soundfont versions of some of these sets.

Plus, even though the voices are older, and E-Mu never had my favorite
keyboard voices/presets back in the day, the Proteus Packs give you a
massive library to supplement the fragmented set of presets that come
with Dimension Pro. I mean, Dim Pro has a lot of great instruments, but
hardly has any brass, doesn't have hardly any solo orchestral voices,
doesn't have hardly any good multi-velocity drum kits (especially none
in GM arrangement), etc. The Proteus Complete pack includes over 3000
presets, including a massive amount of brass, over 300 orchestral
presets, and hundreds of drum kits. Adding this set really gives
Dimension Pro a respectably sized library of preset voices.

Bryan